Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hit bottom almost every day. Sometimes in front (not the mud-flaps) and sometimes in the middle. Scares me every time. Is this damaging?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I hit bottom almost every day. Sometimes in front (not the mud-flaps) and sometimes in the middle. Scares me every time. Is this damaging?
Not really. My 645 used to do that all the time and nothing happened. The Ghibli sits a little higher and so it hasn't happened yet. You can always check with the dealer.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also live in the city, but haven't had any problem yet.
I am actually very surprised that people are scrapping the bumper or the bottom that much. Maybe not used to driving lower car and not knowing how to maneuver it to go over bumps or dips?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also live in the city, but haven't had any problem yet.
I am actually very surprised that people are scrapping the bumper or the bottom that much. Maybe not used to driving lower car and not knowing how to maneuver it to go over bumps or dips?
Any tips on how to maneuver apart from braking before reaching the speed bumps?

Reactions: hiram

·
Registered
325 Posts

My sales guy showed me the underneath of a Ghibli when it was on a ramp. It has a flat plate fitted to the bottom of the car, only certain items are exposed (for maintenance I guess) and these are fitted way below the 'plate' so not much chance of damage. It looked very well protected to me :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Crawl up to the speed bump and then turn the wheel so you are going up at an angle. This should make a difference :)
Agree. Or just go in at an angle Same with going into a drive way or out of a drive way/parking lot. Instead of going "straight" in, you cut in at an angle. See attached crappy hand drawn picture.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We probably won't see it till the end of the year. I thought about ordering one from Asia or Europe, but it is still expensive. I will wait till they are available here.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wish manufactures would be clear on the drop you can expect based upon the model in question. They may say 35mm but which model and which country spec does that apply to. Ghibli's with the sport package already sit lower than non-sport's so maybe there's no noticeable drop if you have the sport package. And a European spec car may ride higher than a US spec model, I have no idea on that one but I've heard other makes are that way. I know on my other car the springs I purchased only gave me a mild drop because I had the sport package and rear wheel drive where as non sports and awd versions rode higher by default and therefore had a more noticeable drop.

Should be interesting to see what kind of drops people get in the real world.

·
Registered
284 Posts
H&R Sport springs are generally very mild drop from previous experience. They're ok for most, but if your goal is to start really reducing your wheel gap through springs, hope they release a Super Sport version. Coilovers are really the way to go though if that's the goal as you're killing your shocks with aggressive springs. I'm waiting for a KW/Bilstein/Ohlins coilover solution.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have posted previously that because of my steep driveway, when the dealer drove a demo on it, the front bottom scrape on the pavement. So I Would like to raise the car a bit.I thought of a novel idea. Don't know if it is possible.
What about installing a "taller" tire. I know there would be issue with the speedometer and may be the AWD. Etc.
Would Any mechanically inclined member Care to comment on it? Are there such tires? Would it be possible?
Just a though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have posted previously that because of my steep driveway, when the dealer drove a demo on it, the front bottom scrape on the pavement. So I Would like to raise the car a bit.I thought of a novel idea. Don't know if it is possible.
What about installing a "taller" tire. I know there would be issue with the speedometer and may be the AWD. Etc.
Would Any mechanically inclined member Care to comment on it? Are there such tires? Would it be possible?
Just a though.
maybe swap your sport package springs with a base model springs?

maybe add a metal plate to the bottom of your front bumper?

maybe coilover system to raise the car higher?

The bigger tire idea may work. I think as long as the circumference of front and rear tires are very close. it should be ok.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts