Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So recently I started my car up from over winter and the car started fine drove alright but on my way home the car was acting fun when at red light car was kinda thumping. When getting near home the car oil pressure eventually got so low it stalled on the road. When I started it to get it on the tow truck you could here a slight klunk sound coming from engine. What may be the cause of this?

Thank You

·
Administrator
2,474 Posts
Hopefully it's not a failed oil pump. That was a problem with early Ghibli engines.
No check engine light? Some times you get cylinder misfires which cause weak engine response and what might be perceived as thumping or knocking. These use to occur out of nowhere and sometimes go away by themselves.
Hopefully, it's something simple .... will be interested to hear what your mechanic says is the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully it's not a failed oil pump. That was a problem with early Ghibli engines.
No check engine light? Some times you get cylinder misfires which cause weak engine response and what might be perceived as thumping or knocking. These use to occur out of nowhere and sometimes go away by themselves.
Hopefully, it's something simple .... will be interested to hear what your mechanic says is the problem.
I did have cylinder misfires previously within the last year I replaced all the spark plugs! It might be related to that! Would cylinder misfire cause low oil pressure?

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah it's possible multiple misfires will cause the idle rpm to drop and lower the oil pressure but I dont
know about the engine knock that's concerning. a bad oil pump can also cause misfires

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah it's possible multiple misfires will cause the idle rpm to drop and lower the oil pressure but I dont
know about the engine knock that's concerning. a bad oil pump can also cause misfires
It very faint the knocking but when the engine is idle it tends to go away but very faint, however might be related due to the underpower by the engine missfiring? I ordered a oil anaylis. To tell me if there is a lot of metal shavings in the oil. If thats the case im selling the car for parts as a new build is going to cost 32k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also on top of that near late summer early fall my ghibli never use to have exhuast pops and it became more and more often!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brought car to Maserati Dealership. Maserati Techs cannot figure it out. They are brining people in to look at it lol.

·
Administrator
2,474 Posts
Brought car to Maserati Dealership. Maserati Techs cannot figure it out. They are brining people in to look at it lol.
We'll be interested to see what the additional expert has to say. I presume no meaningful amount of metal in oil?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hoping for the best! What year/trim is your car? Mileage?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We'll be interested to see what the additional expert has to say. I presume no meaningful amount of metal in oil?
Apparently "large" metal shavings found in oil. Barley drive the car has 25k miles its a 2014. Said new engine is needed. I heard that the oil pumps can be crappy and cause this? Is that true? Also any legal docs supporting this. I am going to try to get a lawyer involved.

·
Administrator
2,474 Posts
Apparently "large" metal shavings found in oil. Barley drive the car has 25k miles its a 2014. Said new engine is needed. I heard that the oil pumps can be crappy and cause this? Is that true? Also any legal docs supporting this. I am going to try to get a lawyer involved.
Yeah, that was internal discussion on the design of the Ferrari supplied oil pump that could prematurely fail causing the engine to fail ... and lots of metal in oil. There are no campaigns and formal documents that I'm aware other than what Maserati North America and local dealers have negotiated on a case by case basis to help out the customer. The feedback was with sludgy build-up when not changing oil timely and/or using the required oil. The oil pump has been redesigned to address these concerns. It's more complicated as a Ferrari built engine for Maserati which are two seperate entities these days.
I'd speak to Maserati North America and/or your dealer to ask what relief they can offer ... best of luck!!
I also checked the warranty extension Maserati released in May 2019 for certain 2014 and 2015 Ghibli's (state specific) and unfortunately the engine / oil pump isn't included.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts