Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past few days, the temp has dropped below 30 F (0 degree C).
The subwoofer vibrates and rattles like crazy! I had the car in the dealer for "the fix" 3 times!!
The Dynamat solution only improved a little, but becomes completely useless when the temp drops way low.

MaseratiCare, please come up with a better solution to fix this issue. I can't believe I paid $2000 for this.

·
Administrator
2,411 Posts
MaseratiCare, please come up with a better solution to fix this issue. I can't believe I paid $2000 for this.
Just curious what paid $2000 for ... hopefully not the dynamat fix. That should have been warranty?

·
Administrator
2,411 Posts
Got it ... Agree Maserati could have done better with the $2K upcharge. I bought the premium too ... felt the B&W $5K upcharge was not worth it. Hindsight is 20:20 ... not sure if that additional upcharge would have resolved the experience or not.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the $5K B&W system is too much for a car. But I am not an audiophile.
$2K should get us a good/decent system in the car. I had Harman Kardon and Bose which are both about $2000 in the Mercedes and Porsche. Both are so much better than this.
I even had a standard system in the BMW before that is better than this.
Maserati may have used decent speakers and amp for this system, but when it is not properly installed/insulated, it becomes a problem.
It is like kids putting in two 12" sub box in a cheap car that makes the whole car shakes and vibrates. That's just not a quality sound.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Premium sound

I think the $5K B&W system is too much for a car. But I am not an audiophile.
$2K should get us a good/decent system in the car. I had Harman Kardon and Bose which are both about $2000 in the Mercedes and Porsche. Both are so much better than this.
I even had a standard system in the BMW before that is better than this.
Maserati may have used decent speakers and amp for this system, but when it is not properly installed/insulated, it becomes a problem.
It is like kids putting in two 12" sub box in a cheap car that makes the whole car shakes and vibrates. That's just not a quality sound.
I totally agree.
Frankly, any car that costs 50k plus plus, should have an excellent sound system. My wife had a Volvo S80 that was loaded (msrp 52) and had a dynaudio system that was fantastic. I have an acura that has an ELS system (standard for this model at around 50msrp). She has a jag xj now with the meridian system that is far , far better than the ghibli. The Bose system in my granturismo was also not great but better than this. These were far better than the ghibli premium system. The ghibli is thin, weak, very little bass. I don't even like much bass and listen primarily to classical and Jazz. I have mine set on max for the bass, and there is virtually none. Frankly, I think there is something defective about the system. It is that bad. 600 watts? Measured how? If you look at the size of the magnet on the subwoofer, you wilk begin to understand why it is so pathetic. For laughs, check out a jl audio sub's magnet. It is tempting to have it upgraded to something decent, but that would probably cost 2-5k. Not going to spend that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My service guy told me that the "Premium sound system" uses the exact same speakers from the standard one. Only the better AMP was added to the system. Basically we can hear the bad speakers louder. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My service guy told me that the "Premium sound system" uses the exact same speakers from the standard one. Only the better AMP was added to the system. Basically we can hear the bad speakers louder. :)
That's just great......
But I also think it has something to do with how the subwoofer is mounted and the whole rear deck is assembled/insulated. Someone said that whole deck shakes when bass is on, which causes the rattling sound.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's just great......
But I also think it has something to do with how the subwoofer is mounted and the whole rear deck is assembled/insulated the sub. Someone said that whole deck shakes when bass is on, which causes the rattling sound.
Maserati is able to diminish the rattling noise from the back deck substantially. They use Dynamat to insulate the sub.
However, depending on the bass frequency from your songs, it will still rattle. They don't have a solution that removes rattling 100% yet. Aside from the rattling sub problem, the speakers highs and mids do not sound great either. If you really like listening loud music, go for the $5k premium sound or get after party solutions.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maserati is able to diminish the rattling noise from the back deck substantially. They use Dynamat to insulate the sub.
However, depending on the bass frequency from your songs, it will still rattle. They don't have a solution that removes rattling 100% yet. Aside from the rattling sub problem, the speakers highs and mids do not sound great either. If you really like listening loud music, go for the $5k premium sound or get after party solutions.
I did go in for the Dynamat "fix" 3 times. It improved, but not that great. Even songs with a little bass, as soon as I turn the volume above 15 (I believe max is 40), it starts rattling.
It got worse again recently when the temperature dropped below 30. Like the Dynamat fix is non-existence. Probably worse than before the fix. (I think it is the coldness that shrinks the all the components and creates gas/space)
I don't want to spend $5000 on a car stereo system. My Bower & Wilkin home theater system isn't even that much( it is only the Mini theater system). Like I said, I had $2000 Bose and HK system and even a standard sound on the BMW, none of them had this vibration issue. I don't expect to not hear any rattling when I blast the music, but at least not have this issue when I want to listen to music slightly louder.

MaseratiCares. Please tell us that you are still trying to come up with a better solution than just the Dynamat fix.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Don't hold your breath! They are still selling it the same way on '15. The fix, a dealer actually came up with it, not Maserati. The dealer can not manufacture new parts.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally Posted by yxc145[quote name="positiv" post=124154]Maserati is able to diminish the rattling noise from the back deck substantially. They use Dynamat to insulate the sub.
I did go in for the Dynamat "fix" 3 times. It improved, but not that great. Even songs with a little bass, as soon as I turn the volume above 15 (I believe max is 40), it starts rattling.
It got worse again recently when the temperature dropped below 30. Like the Dynamat fix is non-existence. Probably worse than before the fix. (I think it is the coldness that shrinks the all the components and creates gas/space)
I don't want to spend $5000 on a car stereo system. My Bower & Wilkin home theater system isn't even that much( it is only the Mini theater system). Like I said, I had $2000 Bose and HK system and even a standard sound on the BMW, none of them had this vibration issue. I don't expect to not hear any rattling when I blast the music, but at least not have this issue when I want to listen to music slightly louder.

MaseratiCares. Please tell us that you are still trying to come up with a better solution than just the Dynamat fix.[/QUOTE]

Hi all,

I've been told by MNA Technicians that you should take your car to the local dealer and have them contact Maserati NA to investigate this further. We should be able to solution this way.

Thank you for your patience.

Howie - MaseratiCares

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,

I've been told by MNA Technicians that you should take your car to the local dealer and have them contact Maserati NA to investigate this further. We should be able to solution this way.

Howie - MaseratiCares[/QUOTE]

Hi Howie-MaseratiCares

I did take my car in the dealer 3 times to try to fix this issue. They said they could only pad the affected area with Dynamat and if that still vibrates (which it does), they do not know what else to do.

The dealer is about 1 hour away. I really hate spending two hours going there if they cannot fix the issue.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally Posted by yxc145Hi all,

Howie - MaseratiCares
Hi Howie-MaseratiCares

I did take my car in the dealer 3 times to try to fix this issue. They said they could only pad the affected area with Dynamat and if that still vibrates (which it does), they do not know what else to do.

The dealer is about 1 hour away. I really hate spending two hours going there if they cannot fix the issue.[/QUOTE]

Hi yxc145,

Please send me you VIN and the name of your dealer via PM and I'll investigate this further for you.

Thanks,

Howie - MaseratiCares

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've noticed the mids and tweeters are poor sound. I'm wondering if a speaker swap out would help - not a full after market for the whole system, but just for the speakers.

The sound in my Fiat 500 Abarth with Beats audio is actually better than the Maserati with the premium sound...go figure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi all,

Howie - MaseratiCares
Hi Howie-MaseratiCares

The dealer is about 1 hour away. I really hate spending two hours going there if they cannot fix the issue.[/QUOTE]

What worked for me was to bring an SD card with a couple of songs that can easily reproduce the issue (Lorde's Royals is a good example) and I demonstrated that to them and said when I got the car back I expected to be able to play this song at moderate volume (e.g. 20ish on the 40 number scale) with no rattle. They apparently had to take everything apart 6 different times but finally got it all working. So if your dealer is willing to stand by you, the issue can be fixed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi Howie-MaseratiCares

The dealer is about 1 hour away. I really hate spending two hours going there if they cannot fix the issue.
What worked for me was to bring an SD card with a couple of songs that can easily reproduce the issue (Lorde's Royals is a good example) and I demonstrated that to them and said when I got the car back I expected to be able to play this song at moderate volume (e.g. 20ish on the 40 number scale) with no rattle. They apparently had to take everything apart 6 different times but finally got it all working. So if your dealer is willing to stand by you, the issue can be fixed.[/QUOTE]

Coule be Useful to know in details what your dealer did to fix this ... It might help others and could be seen as best practice throughout the Maserati Dealers' network ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been in twice with this problem. Not fixed and the sound is worse; the rattle and music quality. I think they just lowered the bass I don't hear it even cranked all the way. Another major disappointment.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Howie-MaseratiCares

Hi yxc145,

Please send me you VIN and the name of your dealer via PM and I'll investigate this further for you.

Thanks,

Howie - MaseratiCares[/QUOTE]

Howie

PM sent. Thank you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What worked for me was to bring an SD card with a couple of songs that can easily reproduce the issue (Lorde's Royals is a good example) and I demonstrated that to them and said when I got the car back I expected to be able to play this song at moderate volume (e.g. 20ish on the 40 number scale) with no rattle. They apparently had to take everything apart 6 different times but finally got it all working. So if your dealer is willing to stand by you, the issue can be fixed.
Coule be Useful to know in details what your dealer did to fix this ... It might help others and could be seen as best practice throughout the Maserati Dealers' network ...[/QUOTE]

What they told me was the they had to apply dynamet multiple times. The source of the rattle is fundamentally the rear upper brake light which they had to do insulate separately. It was really an determine exercise of trial and error. As I said before, they did this 6 different times until they got it to work with all the songs I put on the SD card that caused the rattles.

Contrary to what others have said in this thread, they absolutely were able to completely fix the issue. I can abuse the bass and there is no rattle. In fact, with the rattle fixed, I can mess with the EQ to get a sound that is almost good (mid range down -2, treble +1, bass +5). With these settings and the rattle fixed much of the harshness and brightness of the sound is repaired. While it does not rival my very expensive home theater system, it is probably good enough for a car stereo now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts