Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Levante SUV on its way soon, many have been making connections between the business strategy of Porsche and Maserati. Maserati is planning on financing its fancier sports cars and sedans through the sale of a more mass market SUV, just like Porsche has done with the Cayenne (and soon the Macan.)

Do you see these business strategies as basically the same? Will Maserati see the extreme growth in sales that Porsche did when it released the Cayenne???

·
Registered
277 Posts
Shouldn't most companies finance their more expensive models with profits from entry level models?

I mean Maserati cars are already cheaper compared to Ferrari in the first place.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shouldn't most companies finance their more expensive models with profits from entry level models?

I mean Maserati cars are already cheaper compared to Ferrari in the first place.
I dont see Maserati in the same boat. Porsche did it not as a growth decision but as a survival decision. When Porsche deployed the Cayenne they were on the ropes, it was a real possibility we werent going to get anymore 911s.

Maserati is insulated extremely well. They are owned by FIAT one of the largest auto companies with Chrysler, Alfa and Ferrari in the stable Maserati is generally left to its own devices, a drop or increase in Maserati profits is relatively insignificant to FIATs health.

Now Maserati may be trying a similar type of expansion strategy with Ghibli and Levante but it is in no way the same type of context that Porsche was in with the Cayenne.

·
Registered
76 Posts
even Jaguar seems to want a piece of the action, they're basically going to grow their brand almost like how Maserati is intending to grow theirs.

one of the new models that's part of this growth is a new SUV...

·
Registered
112 Posts
even Jaguar seems to want a piece of the action, they're basically going to grow their brand almost like how Maserati is intending to grow theirs.

one of the new models that's part of this growth is a new SUV...

wonder how long before we get a land rover family sedan :D

Even lamborghini has confirmed the urus for production, Aston Martin makes the Cygnet tin can...

Next up a Maserati economy car based on a FIAT 500...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I dont see Maserati in the same boat. Porsche did it not as a growth decision but as a survival decision. When Porsche deployed the Cayenne they were on the ropes, it was a real possibility we werent going to get anymore 911s.

Maserati is insulated extremely well. They are owned by FIAT one of the largest auto companies with Chrysler, Alfa and Ferrari in the stable Maserati is generally left to its own devices, a drop or increase in Maserati profits is relatively insignificant to FIATs health.

Now Maserati may be trying a similar type of expansion strategy with Ghibli and Levante but it is in no way the same type of context that Porsche was in with the Cayenne.
good point. the Cayenne received its fair share of negative criticism when first released. They also aren't that reliable. Porsche is coming back though and is doing well for the past few years. They've got my interest,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I would post some pics of the Maserati Levante so that everyone knows exactly what we are talking about.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Very nice looking SUV. Though I don't need one in my lifestyle. It looks nicer than the Cayenne. What engine is powering it? Is it AWD?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts