Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Remember.. Even with the valves "opened" or in "sports" mode... they actually partially close between 900 and 2900 or so.. To resolve that issue the simple 50 cent vacuum cap mod is recommended.

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMO the "buzzing" on cold start and sport mode sounds like sh*t. I've been around of cheap straight pipe cars-Ford 5.0s, Nissan 370Zs, they all sound like that. Pretty sure that's why Maserati doesn't let you set it to start in sport.

·
Registered
16 Posts
IMO the "buzzing" on cold start and sport mode sounds like sh*t. I've been around of cheap straight pipe cars-Ford 5.0s, Nissan 370Zs, they all sound like that. Pretty sure that's why Maserati doesn't let you set it to start in sport.
I agree 100%. It sounds rough as a bear‘s a**. I live in central London and it can be a bit embarrassing - I wonder if my neighbours say “he’s the one that’s causing a noise nuisance”

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree 100%. It sounds rough as a bear‘s a**. I live in central London and it can be a bit embarrassing - I wonder if my neighbours say “he’s the one that’s causing a noise nuisance”
I get that when I cold start my M4. I just hope my Ghibli S will not be like that. But reading the comments here I think I will be the most hated driver in the neighbourhood for waking up people in the morning.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Remember.. Even with the valves "opened" or in "sports" mode... they actually partially close between 900 and 2900 or so.. To resolve that issue the simple 50 cent vacuum cap mod is recommended.
Yooo what is this simple 50 cent vacuum cap mod??? How do we pin the exhaust open with vacuum caps and 5 mins of my time???

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
But keep in mind that the car will not sound the same ... will be loud but without magic sound..The valves work all the time while driving . Follow one and you will see
It makes the sound changing at around 3200rpm I love that ( not anymore with pipes unplugged) I like the downshift the upshift that makes such a sound in MY 2019 ... well all gone with valves disconnected in open position.

I tried for a while and put all back as factory

·
Registered
167 Posts
But keep in mind that the car will not sound the same ... will be loud but without magic sound..The valves work all the time while driving . Follow one and you will see
It makes the sound changing at around 3200rpm I love that ( not anymore with pipes unplugged) I like the downshift the upshift that makes such a sound in MY 2019 ... well all gone with valves disconnected in open position.

Interesting now I dont know which one I want to do

·
Registered
29 Posts
Personally, I would leave them as is. Maserati engineers went to considerable effort to make the car sound as fantastic as it does, so why spoil it?
If you want to make the car sound loud, switch on sport mode, shift gears manually and let the engine rev all the way up in each gear. An added bonus is that BOOM when you shift up at high RPMs with the throttle floored; it's addictive.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Personally, I would leave them as is. Maserati engineers went to considerable effort to make the car sound as fantastic as it does, so why spoil it?
If you want to make the car sound loud, switch on sport mode, shift gears manually and let the engine rev all the way up in each gear. An added bonus is that BOOM when you shift up at high RPMs with the throttle floored; it's addictive.
**** i have mixed feelings about this idk what to do :( lmao

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
my personal advice is to try both, meaning as from the factory, go for a drive in normal mode. use the paddles to shift, then the same in sport mode, rev for example in 1st or second gear, at low rpm like 1000rpm in half throttle, you will notice the sound changing at around + - 3200rpm I love that others too, then full on the throttle change gears etc upshift downshift, then go home stop the engine, leave the Sport Mode ON button, so you will see that the valves are fully open in the exhaust, remove the 2 small rubber pipes, and put tape around the end of the pipes to do not get dirty inside, doing this doesn't hurt the car at all, so go again for a ride, start the engine and start the driving in normal mode, low-speed high speed change gears etc, then try sport mode, of course in such mode nothing happens to the exhaust as is disconnected however the response of throtle is higher, the gear changes are faster etc and try it and you get your own opinion if you like just leave it disconnected, if you don't like.. just connect it, litle advise, connect them the same way, meaning leave the Sport mode button ON, before connecting the pipes again.
I took the pipes off a little bit further than the exhaust, as per the picture the rubber pipe goes in a metallic pipe, so I isolate them with a bit of tape, both once removed. Of course I did not like, so just put it all back as a factory

the best interior sound from the exhaust in the ghiblis are ONLY in models 2014 2015 after all changed, it changed in 2017 and after in 2019 models.

here what I did in my current ghibli for testing, the pipe where I disconnected it - is the grey color tape, it goes from a rubber pipe to a metallic pipe there.

the pipe connection it is located right behind the exhaust - there

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you! Do you have video how to remove Ghibli headliner? Or instructions how to remove ghibli headliner for replacement/fiber optic wire install

·
Registered
167 Posts
2017 SQ4 can I start in sport mode as default setting when entering car? If not... Can I start in sport mode by pressing sport button before turning on? And does the 2017 SQ4 have the separate suspension button/mode to activate stiffness? @Geoffrey Fake @BeerGuy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts