Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the Ghibli Forum and just got my base Ghibli last weekend. It was with the base Nerissimo package and has the 20" gloss black Urano wheels. I bought the Maserati wheel locks right away as I've seen neighbors have their wheel stolen in the past. I got it as a daily driver and parked the car in the parking structure at my work for the first time yesterday. After I got home I noticed someone had stolen two of the valve caps off the wheels on the passenger side. I was extremely happy when I got the car but now I feel like it could become a burden to have with people doing this or have it be a threat for theft. Has anyone experienced something like this? Has anyone had their wheels stolen? Is the car easily stolen or a car that gets stolen a lot? Is there any pointers you can give to prevent this?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,245 Posts
It happens, but Ghibli theft / vandalism rates are similar to other cars in same regions/locatons.

The car has interior / exterior sensors that will trigger alarm for level, vibration/pressure and opening a door. Stealing emblems and valve covers is possible ... as is the "mad dash" break-in and run.

You hear more about pure vandalism ... key marks and etc...

Sorry to hear!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response @BeerGuy! Are you saying theft rates are similar to other cars like BMWs, Benz's, etc? It makes me feel better that someone responded that nothing happened to their 22"s. My wife scolded me that the black rims makes the car a target but I think it's just the car itself.

·
Administrator
2,245 Posts
Yes ... similar theft rates to others you mention. Actually better than some of the everyday cars that have been modified with fancy wheels and attachments without the internal security measures of the Maserati, Merc, BMW, and etc.

The car stands out ... little souvenirs are the easy steal as is valuable items visible inside the car.

Rare to hear someone have their wheels stolen, (when on car).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new to the Ghibli Forum and just got my base Ghibli last weekend. It was with the base Nerissimo package and has the 20" gloss black Urano wheels. I bought the Maserati wheel locks right away as I've seen neighbors have their wheel stolen in the past. I got it as a daily driver and parked the car in the parking structure at my work for the first time yesterday. After I got home I noticed someone had stolen two of the valve caps off the wheels on the passenger side. I was extremely happy when I got the car but now I feel like it could become a burden to have with people doing this or have it be a threat for theft. Has anyone experienced something like this? Has anyone had their wheels stolen? Is the car easily stolen or a car that gets stolen a lot? Is there any pointers you can give to prevent this?

Thanks!
If you have wheel locks on your rims you will 99% not get your rims stolen don't worry. Most thieves are kids that arent experienced and only look for quick theft jobs. I've heard of someone that had wheel locks next to 2 other cars with no wheel locks. The other 2 cars got their rims stolen and their car was left alone.

All wheel locks aren't the same either. I have McGard wheel locks which are known as the best of the best and are guaranteed not to chip or rust.

Any experienced thief can get past wheel locks but remember it's the same for house alarms, etc that work as deterents. Thieves do not want to go after things that will take longer, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unfortunately common with many cars. I’ve experienced so many petty thefts over the years and I do not travel or park in “dangerous” places
  • hood roundel stolen from every BMW I’ve owned. Actually twice on my M3.
  • Trunk roundel stolen from M3
  • M Sport valve stem caps stolen twice
  • Audi S-Line stem caps stolen from S5
  • Idiots Attempted to rip off the trunk lip spoiler on M3
  • Attempted theft of M-Sport Wheels on 335i

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
35 Posts
Wheel locks should be enough to deter most thieves. Alarm is decent - mine went off last week when the tire shop jacked one side of the car. I have lost chrome valve caps off my Audis to jerks, but they are easy to replace. One reason I have this car now is that 1) it is garaged 100%; 2) I am retired so no work parking. Relax and enjoy it (the car; not the theft).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts