Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who are the key rivals to the Maserati Ghibli. The ones that pop to mind are the:

Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Jaguar XF, Mercedes-Benz CLS

What else is there?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wanted to bump this discussion as I feel like there could be some comparisons made between the Ghibli and the competition to see what sort of value we are looking at with the Ghibli

·
Registered
258 Posts
A lot of the value is in the design and exclusivity. The design is more sensual and organic - I would say a bit more classical than the more modern look of German designs. I am not saying it's better, but it's different and definitely well done. After owning a slew of BMWs and MBs, I'm eager to try something different, and I believe others are in the same position. At least initially, driving a Maserati will be quite a bit more exclusive. The BMW Gran Coupe may be quite an exclusive vehicle, but the design is very similar to other BMWs and I believe very few non-enthusiasts would even realize that it's somehow different. At least where I am at, driving a BMW and MB is positively pedestrian. Pulling into the Exxon at the local business park and at least half the cars are luxury brands.

Of more practical value, is that the Ghibli appears to have more sporty design intentions than the other vehicles of this class. It may not be the most powerful, and may not put in the fastest technical times at the track, but I am hoping that it delivers more raw driving enjoyment. I say I hope because I've never driven one so I have no basis for comparison other than reviews, which have been quite positive.

As Jeremy Clarkson once quipped that if you are going out for the evening and you turn to the wife and ask "do we take the xyz, or the Maserati".

·
Registered
62 Posts
The BMW Gran Coupe may be quite an exclusive vehicle, but the design is very similar to other BMWs and I believe very few non-enthusiasts would even realize that it's somehow different. ".
I agree. I believe its also $10k more than the base Ghibli.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe looks to be quite a bit longer than the Ghibli. i think it competes more with the Quattroporte than the Ghibli.
That may just be an optical illusion. The Ghibli's more pronounced curves are a way to balance it's over all length, which at early 195.7" is quite long, vs 197.1" for the GranCoupe. The GranCoupe shows its length with its typical BMW "solid slab" design (and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner), with a belt line that goes from the grill to the rear trunk in one nearly completely straight line, save for the curve drop following the contour of the hood. This straight line is further accentuated with a perfectly straight bevel along the doors, and more straight bevels near the rocker panels. Remember the fashion tip that tall and thin people should avoid wearing vertical stripe shirts; it's the same logic here.

If you look at the Ghibli, the belt line is more of a gentle S curve, and even that is broken up by two curved bevels, one running from the doors towards the rear wheel arches, and another one that frames the rear wheel arches - these two bevels do not converge. The crease along the rocker panel also kicks up gently towards the rear wheel. The treatment of the C-pillar is also less angular in the Ghibli, with a more complex curve that results in a gentle transition from the rear glass into the trunk.

I much more prefer the look of the Ghibli, though I have no doubt that the GranCoupe is a very finely made car that has many advantages of its own over the Ghibli, which is why so many of Ghibli's potential buyers would cross-shop these two vehicles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That may just be an optical illusion. The Ghibli's more pronounced curves are a way to balance it's over all length, which at early 195.7" is quite long, vs 197.1" for the GranCoupe. The GranCoupe shows its length with its typical BMW "solid slab" design (and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner), with a belt line that goes from the grill to the rear trunk in one nearly completely straight line, save for the curve drop following the contour of the hood. This straight line is further accentuated with a perfectly straight bevel along the doors, and more straight bevels near the rocker panels. Remember the fashion tip that tall and thin people should avoid wearing vertical stripe shirts; it's the same logic here.

If you look at the Ghibli, the belt line is more of a gentle S curve, and even that is broken up by two curved bevels, one running from the doors towards the rear wheel arches, and another one that frames the rear wheel arches - these two bevels do not converge. The crease along the rocker panel also kicks up gently towards the rear wheel. The treatment of the C-pillar is also less angular in the Ghibli, with a more complex curve that results in a gentle transition from the rear glass into the trunk.

I much more prefer the look of the Ghibli, though I have no doubt that the GranCoupe is a very finely made car that has many advantages of its own over the Ghibli, which is why so many of Ghibli's potential buyers would cross-shop these two vehicles.
Well that was quite informative. Thanks.

I like the style of the Ghibli better. In fact the Ghibli has to be one of my favorite new cars around right now as far as design goes. If I were to consider a BMW it wouldn't be the Gran Coupe. I just don't like the look of it enough. I would be interested to see the interior though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another competitor is the Jaguar XFR-S. This guy runs on a 5.0-liter V8 engine, and gets up to 550 HP. That lets it go 0-60 mph in just a hair over 4 seconds. This is the performance model, and it comes in at $99,895.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Jaguar XF is a fine car. My cousin has one. Here again like other cars that are potentially cross shopped witht he Ghibli, the XF's fundamental design is quite a bit more conservative and restrained than the Ghibli. This is why this performance model looks a bit awkward and forced with its blue paint job, rear diffuser, and that spoiler. I am sure it's a very capable car, providing performance above what the Ghibli is able to deliver.

I believe a car should never get away from its original sense of purpose, which is what justified its production, and is what makes it authentic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another competitor is the Jaguar XFR-S. This guy runs on a 5.0-liter V8 engine, and gets up to 550 HP. That lets it go 0-60 mph in just a hair over 4 seconds. This is the performance model, and it comes in at $99,895.

I'm sure this car drives great, but the design again just doesn't do it for me. It looks like a luxury sedan that they tried to make more sporty with a new body kit, and spoiler, and paint job. It is just looking a little forced to me.

The specs on it are awesome though. I would love to take it out for a drive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm sure this car drives great, but the design again just doesn't do it for me. It looks like a luxury sedan that they tried to make more sporty with a new body kit, and spoiler, and paint job. It is just looking a little forced to me.

The specs on it are awesome though. I would love to take it out for a drive.
The front of the car looks much better than the back IMO. I don't think that the spoiler really looks like it belongs. If they designed the rear in a different way it could get rid of some of that sedan look.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The front of the car looks much better than the back IMO. I don't think that the spoiler really looks like it belongs. If they designed the rear in a different way it could get rid of some of that sedan look.
A spoiler is needed, just not that one, a lip spoiler would look amazing on it IMO

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have owned a BMW 528 a BMW 540 and two MB E350s. I by far love BMW better than MB as it is a driver's car. The BMW 540 was the most exhilarating car I have ever owned. When I heard about the Maserati play the decision was easy "I drive a Maserati." Having pouring over the specs and pics I believe they have a winner. the exterior design is very distinctive...... I put down a deposit and many are ordering without even seeing the car. It is a MASERATI.........should I repeat myself...........very exclusive and the brand is well known for quality............plus have you heard the exhaust note..........a melodic symphony for the ears...check it out at the ghibli website.....you will be turning heads everywhere..........Yes you will have to pay $600-$1K for service, do not get all the high tech (heads up, etc.) and have to tip $20+$5 when you park it but you own a Maserati so you can afford it!!! No decision IMHO.......guess I am the perfect demographic!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Jag XFR-S is not a good comparison. It's a very limited production-technology showcase car (less then 100 will come to the US total). The real comparison is the XF Supercharged (470HP) and the XFR (510HP). Both are great cars all around and even better value (more so the S/C), specially when compared to the German assortments.
I lease a 2011 XF S/C . it's a looker, not many on the road, great dynamics, nicely buttoned down, monster engine, very nice low key interior and upscale quality materials and execution, very reliable, superior ride quality, low maintenance costs. I,m on my second XF.
Really great counter to the ' German herd mentality'.
Waiting to see if the Maser can win my heart ...........

·
Registered
253 Posts
ehh dunno. To me it looks like someone just Photoshopped all those bumpers and spoilers into a regular XF, and it just looks like boy-racer went to town with it.

But everyone has their own taste I suppose, I would definitely prefer a car that was natively designed to look aggressive and sporty from the get-go rather then it being an after-thought bolt on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think one of the biggest competitors is the last generation QPort. A friend just bought a 2012 with 10,000 kilometers (6,000 miles) for significant less than I paid for a S Q4.

The Pininfarina design is impeccable - far more individual looking, with nothing generic about it. The normally aspirated 4.7 L V8, makes great noise and somehow feels more authentic. I think the interior is a bit dated, but feels more Italian, and quirky.

Makes me wonder if I made the right choice.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Came across macanforum and there is a thread comparing the new Porsche/Audi mini ute to Ghibli, 3 pages of discussion!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts