Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 ghibli s just got approved for warranty work. They’re replacing the entire steering system under warranty. I’m also getting some other service work done including All my fluids including break fluid, pollen filter and air filters, serpentine belt and the spark plugs. The quote I got for everything not covered under warranty is around 1700. Is a spark plug replacement worth 600$? I’m deciding wether I should do it myself or not.

·
Registered
349 Posts
"Worth it?", that is subjective. Cost of ownership, that's not a bad deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2016 ghibli s just got approved for warranty work. They’re replacing the entire steering system under warranty. I’m also getting some other service work done including All my fluids including break fluid, pollen filter and air filters, serpentine belt and the spark plugs. The quote I got for everything not covered under warranty is around 1700. Is a spark plug replacement worth 600$? I’m deciding wether I should do it myself or not.
Replacing the spark plugs takes one hour of labor. Parts are $24*6. Shouldn't end up with $600.
Most of the cost of the 4 years service is replacing the belts. Parts are not expensive but it requires a few hours of work. If you can find a reliable technician that specialized in Maserati, maybe you can cut the labor cost a little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replacing the spark plugs takes one hour of labor. Parts are $24*6. Shouldn't end up with $600.
Most of the cost of the 4 years service is replacing the belts. Parts are not expensive but it requires a few hours of work. If you can find a reliable technician that specialized in Maserati, maybe you can cut the labor cost a little.
Forgot to add that replacing the Pollen filter and the pair of engine air filters is easy. You can do it your self.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My understanding is that spark plugs these days can last up to 100,000 miles. I had a Bentley for 8 years, but only 45,000 miles on it and they wanted to change to spark plus, 12 for a 12 cylinder engine, so I said “no”. I think they often want to replace parts they don’t need replacing, they wanted to replace my Bentley brakes as they were about 65% worn and I said “no“ also. I would research about how often spark plugs need replacing and and should not make a difference is it is a Ferrari/Maserati engine or not.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My understanding is that spark plugs these days can last up to 100,000 miles. I had a Bentley for 8 years, but only 45,000 miles on it and they wanted to change to spark plus, 12 for a 12 cylinder engine, so I said “no”. I think they often want to replace parts they don’t need replacing, they wanted to replace my Bentley brakes as they were about 65% worn and I said “no“ also. I would research about how often spark plugs need replacing and and should not make a difference is it is a Ferrari/Maserati engine or not.
I tend to think the motivation on changing the spark plugs every 37k miles is not driven by money, but by research in what is best for the engine. A spark plug surely doesn't perform the same at 100k miles as it does when new or even at 37k miles for the matter. A fresh strong spark is a fresh strong spark. Maybe these engines need a certain level of spark in terms of longevity and avoiding problems. I am not mechanic and I get what you are saying. Doesn't seem to make sense that BMW calls for a spark plug change at 100k miles and Maserati is a 1/3 of that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tend to think the motivation on changing the spark plugs every 37k miles is not driven by money, but by research in what is best for the engine. A spark plug surely doesn't perform the same at 100k miles as it does when new or even at 37k miles for the matter. A fresh strong spark is a fresh strong spark. Maybe these engines need a certain level of spark in terms of longevity and avoiding problems. I am not mechanic and I get what you are saying. Doesn't seem to make sense that BMW calls for a spark plug change at 100k miles and Maserati is a 1/3 of that.
Very true. On my Bentley they wanted something like US$700 just to replace to spark plugs (I live between London and Monaco, two of the most expensive places which may be why) and when that car had annual servicing costs of US$3,000 to US$5,000 per year I had to draw the line somewhere, I sold it with only 45k miles on it, but they were always finding something wrong with it despite it really being a VW Phaeton with lipstick and pearl necklace. The Maserati spark plugs are supposed to be platinum tipped which are supposed to last longer, so as you say, not sure why they are recommended to be replaced at 37k miles vs the BMW’s 100k miles, but then we are not talking German engines here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts