Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maserati has booked 17,000 orders globally to date, almost triple what they sold for all of 2012. Looks like the new models are creating quite the stir. Maserati wants to lift sales from the 6,288 cars last year to 50,000 cars in 2015, helped by the Ghibli and the upcoming Levante SUV.

The Quattroporte is the biggest seller, especially in the Chinese market. Obviously a big part of the boost in orders was the Ghibli. With the Ghibli Maserati has been introduced to buyers traditionally driving 5-series or E-classes.

The July numbers show Maserati added about 3,000 orders last month. Figures from June showed Maserati had collected 14,159 orders worldwide, half were for the Quattroporte...

How many of you can say you're one of those 17,000?

Figures courtesy of Reuters.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am one of the 17,000! Ordered a Ghibli SQ4 loaded with every option including Carbon Fibre Interior/Steering wheel, full leather, B&W and 21".

I can't wait!

·
Registered
258 Posts
The engine block is a Pentastar made by Chrysler. Ferrari factory images of the engines being assembled confirms this. The head and other parts of the engine are custom designed and made for Maserati.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The engine block is a Pentastar made by Chrysler. Ferrari factory images of the engines being assembled confirms this. The head and other parts of the engine are custom designed and made for Maserati.
the block is the block, Ferrari made all the important go fast bits. I wonder if perhaps FIAT decides to blow Ferrari up a bit and share the Ghibli or Quattroporte architecture with Ferrari. Two of Ferraris main rivals have both debuted sedans in the last bit, Porsche with the Panamera, Aston Martin with the Rapide and Bugatti with the still planned Galibier. Granted the Panamera is ugly,the Rapide is rare and the Galibier may be killed but why couldnt Ferrari offer a family sedan based off the Ghibli in the $100k range? Make it a hybrid with a small v8 or even the same 6 from the Ghibli...

·
Registered
76 Posts
never knew that, sort of surprised, but at least it's just the block, are there any major components that are outsourced from other companies?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Let me clarify that I personally could not care less that the engine block is sourced from Chrysler. Someone posted a question regarding the source of the engine, and I thought I'd share what I know.

There is a right way and a wrong way to share parts or platforms. Americans are very weary of the type of platform sharing that was abused by Ford, Chrysler, and GM, and to a lesser extent by Japanese brands in the past couple of decades. Certain brands of cars such as Pontiac, Mercury, and Oldsmobile essentially had no unique products of their own and everything they sold was based massively on existing vehicles on the base Chevrolet or Ford brand vehicles. They often claimed that many of the parts were unique, but they were unique for the sake of being unique, rather than offer something different or better. For example, a differently shaped body panel is of little value if it is still ugly and pedestrian in design. Subsequent to the general public being completely turned off by this type of automotive shell game, many of these brands were killed off as the car manufacturers focused on making their core brands stronger. However the damage was very severe as it became instantly a negative connotation for platform sharing or parts sharing between different brand/model vehicles.

Getting back to the history of Maserati and Chrysler, the history goes back much further than the current Fiat-Chrysler relationship. If you all remember, the automotive world went through a lot of consolidation and in the process there were often team-ups between an exotic brand and a more pedestrian brand. Remember the Lotus tuned Isuzu Impulse? Similarly, Chrysler had gotten together with Maserati to make the TC in 1989:

Chrysler TC by Maserati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It optionally used a Mitsubishi engine to make it a true 3-continent effort.

Fast forward to today, the relationship between Chrysler and Maserati is more of a sibling relationship, than partner. The parts and platform sharing is also done with far more sophistication than the old days when odd pieces were bolted together without much regard to the refinement of the finished product. These days, the sharing is done only if it actually makes sense to do so. I will use a cooking analogy.

In the old days of platform sharing, three cooks looking to cook three different dishes would have done so by having one cook cook something first, and the other two cooks then took the same ingredients used by the first cook, and forced two more dishes out of it. The results are always sub optimal because the goal of saving money by reusing existing ingredients meant poor results.

Currently, three cooks would each cook their own dishes, but if one cook needed an ingredient that another cook happened to have already, then he didn't have to get that on his own. He still had the freedom to find and get other ingredients to make is own unique dish. This is ingredient sharing done right and the end result has no loss of quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts