Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about getting the maxhaust as they have 10% off at the moment. I asked for install instructions and this is what they sent me - any ideas what ‘adapting the can’ , ‘screwing mass to ground’ and ‘tighten ignition plus’ mean?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi Mathew, sorry I might be late.
The can is the most difficult operation the extract the little connector from the big one. to extract the brown and green wires of the CAN bus to fit in the right order in the spare plastic connector.
Then it's easy. connect the + to the fuse indicated and the ground to one of the bolts fixing the original sound module.

I install then in France for guys who want a better sound.

The worse thing is that they don't show you how to remove the CAN wires, pretty tricky.

If you have a post 2016 then the module is under the seat.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Fred VR I hope you are well. It’s me again with 2016 Quattroporte. I took the plunge ( based on the good things you has said)and purchased the Maxhaust module. I have looked and as on the 2016 Ghibli the thing with the pink connector is under the passenger seat( this is a right hand drive car). There are no instructions with it, but based on this post I see what is supposed to happen with the canbus wiring. Just one thing, with the under the seat arrangement, do you have to run the wires under the carpet back to the boot for the power supply, as I do not remember reading that there was a fuse box under the seat. Or can I pick up power elsewhere?

Thanks in advance. Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can wire everything under the seat, installation time is 15 Minutes. I have it in my 2016 Ghibli...

·
Registered
487 Posts
15min Peter??? Either your watch ran out of battery and stopped during the job, or you're super no hyper quick.
You have to remove the seat out of the car to work properly and confortably. Driver's side on LHD, on passenger on RHD. Might be easier on RHD as you don't have the wheel in the way.
If you want to wire it properly, tie wraps etc etc, it will take you far more than 15min from start to testing.

The most difficult part is the removal of the CAN wires from the plug, it is pretty tricky to dismantle the connector.
There is an option to cut the wires and resolder with heat shrink. Not the proper way, but the quicker way.

@JonT, yes I'm well thank you, trying to stay clear of the virus.

For the power supply you have 2 options:

1 - You can connect to the power supply of the sound module (aluminium box) under the seat, the Maxhaust module will permanently be powered up, so the louder sound will start instantly when you fire up.

2 - You can connect to the cigarette lighter in the console (thick red/yellow) you will need a different in line type of fuse. Then the sound will start with a few seconds delay, as the module will take that time to initialise.

There is a 3rd option, but not too practical, there are a few fuses under the driver's foot well, at least on the LHD (probably passenger on RHD), that's where I connected my integrated Dash cam.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Fred and Pete. I am going to remove the seat, or at least unbolt it to get access. I agree the idea of running wires under the carpet to the boot does seem nuts. I have a feeling though the seat will move further forwards on the QP as the wheelbase is longer, but happy to undo the four bolts if I have to. Not sure I can do in 15 mins either; but I will have a go. Thanks and stay safe. Jon

·
Registered
30 Posts
15min Peter??? Either your watch ran out of battery and stopped during the job, or you're super no hyper quick.
You have to remove the seat out of the car to work properly and confortably. Driver's side on LHD, on passenger on RHD. Might be easier on RHD as you don't have the wheel in the way.
If you want to wire it properly, tie wraps etc etc, it will take you far more than 15min from start to testing.

The most difficult part is the removal of the CAN wires from the plug, it is pretty tricky to dismantle the connector.
There is an option to cut the wires and resolder with heat shrink. Not the proper way, but the quicker way.

@JonT, yes I'm well thank you, trying to stay clear of the virus.

For the power supply you have 2 options:

1 - You can connect to the power supply of the sound module (aluminium box) under the seat, the Maxhaust module will permanently be powered up, so the louder sound will start instantly when you fire up.

2 - You can connect to the cigarette lighter in the console (thick red/yellow) you will need a different in line type of fuse. Then the sound will start with a few seconds delay, as the module will take that time to initialise.

There is a 3rd option, but not too practical, there are a few fuses under the driver's foot well, at least on the LHD (probably passenger on RHD), that's where I connected my integrated Dash cam.

Hope this helped.
Hi FredVR

Ok wiring all done, did as you suggested and picked up the power supply from the sound module. Only thing I can’t seem to do is to plug the connector back in. I just can’t seem to make it click back in. What am I doing wrong? What position does the pink lever have to be in to seat the plug back in the sound module?

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Fred VR I hope you are well. All done I worked it out. Took about three hours as I removed the seat and soldered the joins.

What a difference it makes! Much better than I hoped as I thought it would just make same sound as the standard Sport Mode but it gives so much more.

Thanks for your help. The neighbours are loving it already!’

Jon

·
Registered
487 Posts
Excellent, well done.
I thought it was going to take more that 15minutes. LOL....
I love the sound too.
The best thing is that you can switch the sound off completely on the M'Way.
For the neighbours, LOL it is a question of choice, whether they are nice neighbours or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To be fair neighbours both sides love the QP and say nice things about it. I am slightly upstaged by an Aston Martin down the road but other than that, it’s a welcome relief from the masses of Audis,BMW’s and Mercedes, mainly in white as I live in Essex. Lol

I will have a play with the sound, the exhaust noise runs faster then the engine when you accelerate, but I am source I will work it out.

Thanks again. The seats in this car are amazingly heavy! Cheers Jon

·
Registered
30 Posts
We did it without removing the seat at my LHD Ghibli 2016 ... for my my mechanic it was a really easy job of a few minutes.

It sounds very good, which settings do you use?

Hi Pete it’s possible I can see that, but I am a tall man with very large hands and I could not have soldered the joints without removing the seat. For most amateurs like me working out what to do takes more time time than doing the job. Fred VR said it is very fiddly, this is the biggest understatement ever! I just made sure it all worked today and went inside and then opened a bottle of wine. Thanks for the settings I will have a play tomorrow. Thanks Jon

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fine that it works. I like the sound very much, for me it was the reason to install it because I don't like the sport mode (high rpm does not fit to a diesel engine) but wanted the V8 sound in comfort mode too.

Now I have Maxhaust Booster, DTE Pedalbox and Stage 1 Software. It drives completely different to stock. Very strong and smooth :)

Greetings from Austria

1 - 13 of 13 Posts