Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I c Anderson got into it with all the trolls
Whew….that took some work actually! lol Wow, the amount of trolls on that article with all the ignorant comments. Can't believe the hatred because it's a Maserati.

Someone feel free to jump in…it's a 1 against 20 debate on there!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow, lotsa hate over there, and stupidity, and probably a dash of envy. Givem **** Anderson.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The MT review was a bit too heavy - they are missing out on what the car is all about and the people who will get these cars. Mr.Marchionne's target of getting Maser to a 50,000 volume company pretty much shows even with the 'volume' Ghibli the brand is going to be niche - which for Maser enthusiasts is a good thing :)

Wonder what Jeremy has to say about the Ghibli on TG - he sometimes rips car apart!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Agreed. they have focused on the exact issues that are not included in buying this car..........what is interesting is that they do in the end get there............and basically why you or us are buying this car............so the overall opinion of all the reviews is still positive and the two that are not (MT and Pistonheads) are not credible IMO. Not cancelling the order! Delivery in two weeks!!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
The article raises some good points. I agree. I don't really fault the author for writing it this way.

And I also somewhat would agree that if the Ghibli was ever included in a comparison, it may come out last.

So what the Ghibli is, is a fetish. We like it because it excites us in ways that the German brands no longer can.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Although the Ghibli may come out last, it should still be ranked as being good for what it is, of course depending on what someone wants

·
Registered
258 Posts
Right, in a game of "who makes a better main stream luxury car", I am sure the Germans would win hands down. Even Lexus may get a nod. But I find the Ghibli to be exactly what I am looking for - tame enough as a practical daily driver, but with enough edge to really stand out.

A friend came over and I said I got a new car. We go to the garage and he looks closely at the badge. "You got a Maserati?!?!?!" He then proceeds to take out his phone to snap pictures in the dim light - a completely irrational gesture if you think about it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My issues with the review are several things.

#1, they didn't have one of their top editors review the product like Carlos Lago or Johnny Liebermann who review all the German cars and CTS and Jags. Instead for the Maserati they handed it down to one of the junior editors. As such, leading to point…
#2 She mislead the readers by not clearly quantifying the price tag of over $100K. She included some of the options but not all and didn't describe what the option packages included correctly. So the impression from the article gives the reader the assumption that despite a starting price of $77K, with basic packages the car will be $100K. We all know that is not true and reality is more like $87K for a well equipped car. Subsequently, readers now say "I would rather have an AMG, M or RS car. Is Maserati nuts with their pricing"….well of course that is the response without quantifying the price as most well written articles will do. So the average enthusiasts now sees the Maserati or anyone that buys one as overpriced and ignorant buyers when you can have a M5 or E63 which certainly in most ways is indeed a better car.
#3 She didn't even get the weight down correctly, overshooting the weight by 500lbs. As such, it appears to the reader the Maserati is way overweight and underpowered for the segment.
#4 Like some journalists have, they are unfairly trying to compare a $80K maserati with the expectations of a $150K maserati instead of comparing it to the market. Spending way too much thought
#5 Where is the education in this article or a "professional" assessment? Where do they talk about the platform, the engine, the AWD system which is best in class as other professionals have pointed out, etc.

I take no issue with someone that slams the product based on a review of all the facts and correct facts and makes a thorough analysis of the car fairly in lines with the price point instead of the maserati badge solely. This is a poor excuse for journalism.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I chuckled when she complained about the paddle shifters being like dumbo ears, and how they blocked access to the turn signal.

That's because they are real paddle shifters, and not a dumbed-down version found in German cars to satisfy some sporty marketing spec. What's next, complain that five-point harness in a Koenigsegg is cumbersome to get into?

·
Registered
72 Posts
To be honest, I don't want too many people to like Ghibli.
It's like you know Bentley sucks in performance but if you see one on the street people still take photo and admire it. A car is not only about performance and features. There are other factors such as emotions and status involved.
That's how all super luxury car brands sell their cars, people are paying for brand and emotion, which I believe is a huge part of the car. Why do you think women prefer Channel over Coach bags. It's not because they are better but they like the admiration they get and it shows the status of that person. (I'm not saying every women buy expensive bags or men buy expensive cars, but in general it is).
I wish people "hate" Ghibli, so I don't see too many of them on the street :)
We all Ghibli owners know how good the car is and how it out performs German cars in terms of handling, emotion and exclusivity.
Most of the German cars owners (wait... I also have German cars.... anyway) care more about straight line speed rather than overall performance and experience on driving. It's like people in CLS AMG forum praise about their CLS AMG saying they outperform Audi R8. Yes, in straight line, but definitely not in any of other aspect. People in Audi R8 forum doesn't even compare with CLS AMG, that's because they know they have better and more exclusive cars.
Maserati even with new Ghibli, it's still over the German brands in terms of people's perception. That means if you want to buy a Maserati, then you gotta pay for it. Not happy with 0-60? then buy a different car, but then you are not buying a Maserati! and I wouldn't want that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What surprises me is that the german carmagazines are until know writing very positively about the Ghibli. Normally they write about their german soup so positively, that a foreign car has mostly no chance. But with the Ghibli they write that it is a real alternative to the german mainstream cars. They didn't make real big tests yet, only "driving reports". The last ones were all about the test drive of the Q4 in the snow in Cervinia/Italy. You had some reports in english written magazines as well. The reports from the germans are better than the US/UK ones. If the big tests - and specially tests with comparisons to the german cars - will be as good as the driving reports has to be seen.
Our Swiss magazines wrote as well positively about the Ghibli, but that's normal as we have no car industry. In both countries the Ghibli got better opinions than the newQP. In the Swiss magazines the Diesel was questioned "if really necessary" but even that one got good opinions. But here the Q4 will be the leader with at least 70%, what's not typically for Europe.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Everyone, no exceptions praised the Ghibli's styling, I wonder if they are all bent on finding something wrong with it, as they seem to like the idea of a beautiful car with some quirks and small defects, that you need to get over. A bit like a really beautiful woman that's moody. They like the idea of writing an article about a car you buy with your heart rather than your head, they don't get the chance to do that often these days. They want to give us a romantic sort of view of the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts