Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone experienced gas mileage issues with their new Ghibli? My 3 week old SQ4 ran out of gas on the freeway last week. The computer said there was more gas than it really had and I'm also experiencing low MPG usage. I'm averaging less than 15 mpg on both city and highway driving in normal mode. I've been driving very conservatively and yet can't get much over that 14.5 MPG. I also smell gas coming from the car but the dealership seems to think there's nothing wrong with the vehical? CAn some SQ4 owners tell me what gas mileage your averaging and is you've had any issues with gas comsumption.

Thanks,

·
Registered
172 Posts
I almost ran out of gas the first week since all the mileage were done in highway but not experiencing gas smell. Fill up the tank and then reset the "trip 1 and 2" in your dashboard and that will give you a better estimate. I was averaging 15-18 in sport mode the first 2000 miles and now around 18-23 in sport mode. Now with 5000 miles I really do not pay attention to the mileage because a full tank lasts almost 3 weeks for daily use (always sport mode).
Hopefully this helps but if you do not see gas spots on the ground check the engine if there are spots of gas somewhere there. I heard few cars had loose spark plugs and that could be where your gas comes out.

·
Registered
863 Posts
@giuseppeBoise , so after 5000 miles, you fill up your tank every 3 weeks (with driving in sports mode)... how much do you drive daily..??

Do you think the engine, starts to give much better mileage after certain thousand miles.??

I get around 27 mpg on highway in ICE mode, and around 16 to 17 in sports mode, but my car only has like 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've been averaging about 18 mpg according to the car but it does feel like less than that. I do mostly city driving and usually in sport mode once it warms up. I've noticed no gas smells or leaks of any kind. My engine is still fairly new at only 1600 miles so far.

I did run it very low on gas one time, so low that the fuel gauge didn't even have one pixel indicating gas. I pushed it for at least several miles that way before I finally found a gas station.

·
Registered
863 Posts
So you are getting almost same as me @Krytech ...

I think like giuseppeBoise said he is getting very good mileage after 5k miles, may be we will get the same.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I have 2700 miles on the car now. I get around 14.5 to 15 mpg in the city in sports mode. Around 27 to 28 mpg on highway in ICE mode. Maybe 17 mpg in the city in normal mode.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I drive back and forth to work which is about 40 miles total a day but 35 or them are highway. Fore some reasons I feel the car takes less gas now and since I always drive in sport mode I feel the lag is almost gone. I can be 100% wrong since I drive the car every day but that's my feeleng

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've pushed it to near empty and had the fuel low light come on.
The strange thing is when I went to fill it up, the pump clicked and stopped. I was concerned about over-filling (Porsche 918 catches fire at the pump) so when I checked it was only 3/4 full...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I feel the lag is almost gone. I can be 100% wrong since I drive the car every day but that's my feeleng
Mine noticeably just changed around 5500 miles. I have far less lag in normal mode as of last week. I haven't checked MPG, and I don't drive in sport that much because it tends to surge a bit for my taste.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My MPG

At present (with 1,000+) 17.5 MPG -- mostly suburban roads with limited highway driving. Have yet to really use the ICE mode.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I almost ran out of gas the first week since all the mileage were done in highway but not experiencing gas smell. Fill up the tank and then reset the "trip 1 and 2" in your dashboard and that will give you a better estimate. I was averaging 15-18 in sport mode the first 2000 miles and now around 18-23 in sport mode. Now with 5000 miles I really do not pay attention to the mileage because a full tank lasts almost 3 weeks for daily use (always sport mode).
Hopefully this helps but if you do not see gas spots on the ground check the engine if there are spots of gas somewhere there. I heard few cars had loose spark plugs and that could be where your gas comes out.
i wish i can survive 3 weeks on a full tank.:crying: I burn a little more than a tank a week. My estimate range says 22miles per gallon, driving on ICE mode.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Averaging 19.9 MPG driving normal some-city/ mostly-freeway according to the OBC, but my fuel tracker app is reporting 18.5. 3 fill ups so far at just under 1K miles so hoping MPG open up after full break in.

·
Registered
863 Posts
So just a question over here, does the mpg really improves when the after a full break in of the engine or lets says 5000 miles.

Is it really the case? If so whats the reason for it?

Like Giuseppe is seeing fill up after 3 weeks while driving 40 miles everyday on Sports mode.

·
Registered
283 Posts
So just a question over here, does the mpg really improves when the after a full break in of the engine or lets says 5000 miles.

Is it really the case? If so whats the reason for it?

Like Giuseppe is seeing fill up after 3 weeks while driving 40 miles everyday on Sports mode.
I also want to know as well as i am driving a little over 60miles a day and i can barely do 1 week on a full tank.

·
Administrator
2,411 Posts
I had terrible gas mileage new with the car 12-15 on average. Didn't think anything was worse than that.
By 2000 miles, 19/20 on average, 14-15 in fun mode ... up to 28 pure highway in ICE.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2300 miles now, drive 13 miles per day.11-12 mpg local driving in mostly ice mode. I get less than 250 mile for full tank, is there something wrong with my car?

·
Administrator
2,411 Posts
2300 miles now, drive 13 miles per day.11-12 mpg local driving in mostly ice mode. I get less than 250 mile for full tank, is there something wrong with my car?
You local traffic; is it lots of stop and go and/or hilly terrain? I'm essentially 15 miles round trip with a blend of stop and go traffic and some highway to get the 19/20 mpg. I'm also using 93 octane gas.

11-12 sounds low for normal driving ... ICE probably makes the biggest difference on highway and longer stretches of road.

·
Registered
172 Posts
be patient guys, the camera glasses are coming and full upload a full video in a few days! I am already laughing :) I don't know if it's a break in or whatever but you will be surprised...promise

·
Registered
189 Posts
2 weeks have past and I'm only at 13mpg. Trying to break into the 9's but there is just too much traffic to really open her up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts