Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to buy my Ghibli but have been hearing about large variations on the actual selling price from dealer to dealer.

Anyone who has gotten their Ghibli or to anyone who has went in to the dealer to get a quote please post up your #s so everyone can see what the true discounts and prices are. Let's stick together here and help each other out.

So far this is what I have been quoted:

***2014 Ghibli, RWD, Base + Proteo Wheel.
Msrp - $71,290
Discount - $(6,000)
Selling Price - $65,290

From what I have seen so far this is NOT a good deal. I have seen special order cars getting $4k off and stock cars between $6k - $11k off MSRP. As you can see these are large swings so please share with everyone your findings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got $4500 off on a custom order, $97,380 MSRP, but only after pointing the dealer to this site to show them what others were getting. Their initial offer was $1000 funded by an incentive Maserati is offering for people who purchase rather than leasing. Second round they added $1000 to that ($2000 total), and after I gave them a take-it-or-leave it offer, which I meant, because I hadn't yet looked at any competitive cars, they agreed to the $4500 off.

I ordered a couple of weeks ago and I'm expecting delivery in late May.

-- Mike

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Special order car is a little different because that car is truly designed to your liking. However the higher the MSRP, the greater the discount should be. I saw someone get an MSRP of $82k down to $71k out the door. That to me was a good deal.

Last year the dealers offered $0 discounts. Now many of them are realizing that they over purchased and the cars are not moving as expected so they are discounting stock / lot cars heavily just to get them off the lot. They know that in about 6 months the 2015 model will be out and once that happens they will have to further discount any leftovers to move them.

Also keep in mind Maserati traditionally depreciates very rapidly, they hold almost no value on a trade in or as a used car. Right now you can get a used 2012 Quatroporte Sport, w options, V8 engine, with about 10k miles for less than the Ghibli / Base.

True Example:

A friend has a 2012 Quatroporte which he paid $135k for brand new, out the door. Presently the car has about 25k on the odometer, is in excellent condition and is worth $65-$70k. We are talking $65k in depreciation in a matter of 2 years! OUCH!

If the dealer cant give you a FAT discount off MSRP, then all you have to do is wait a few months and you should be able to get a pre-owned Ghibli w/ 5k miles on it somewhere in the $50's. My thought is the discount should help offset the rapid depreciation that I will see. When compared to BMW or Mercedes there is no comparison in holding value.

Lets get some more real life examples of pricing. At the very LEAST everyone should be able to get $5k off MSRP. If your dealer wont do that, WALK OUT!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I got 4K off of $97K which seemed fair.......but I wanted it exactly my way this time so I knew I would pay more. Stock appears the way to go for really good deals and is probably the way I will go next time..........but in three years the market could be entirely different so we will see..........

·
Registered
52 Posts
MSRP was $89,700 and I got it for $78,000. This was for an instock car.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MSRP was $89,700 and I got it for $78,000. This was for an instock car.
Wow that's a 13% discount! That's gonna be very hard to beat.

In general I am thinking 10% should be doable. Obviously they cant give $12k off of the stripped out base model or they would lose money, you need the optioned out models to get the higher dollar discounts.

I think the best way to approach the issue would be as a percentage of MSRP. So when you go into the showroom and find your car, don't come at them demanding a dollar discount, shoot for a percentage of MSRP. Taking $10k off of a Ghibli Base is very different then taking $10k off of a Ghibli Q4 with full options.

I will be contacting my dealers again tomorrow to further discount the ride. With it being the end of the month I am hoping they can make this happen. If they cant I will call their bluff and wait it out another month. The closer we get to September the more likely they are to discount.

Also guys, keep this in mind. Maserati selects certain vehicles at each dealership to be used as a floor / demo model. Once this happens the vehicle officially starts it's "warranty period" and the clock starts rolling. If you purchase one of these vehicles you may not get the full 48 month warranty. If the car sat on the floor for 6 months or so you will then only get 42 months. If you find a car like this make sure you get the appropriate discount.

·
Registered
695 Posts
We got $4000 off of 78000 end of Jan. Dealer came up $2000 on trade so I figure I got $5000 off. Deal on SQ4 at $88000 was $7000 off so with the trade $8000. So list price makes a big difference. Does anyone really know what the mark up is?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I should add, the dealer called me on Feb 27th with that offer and told me I would have to sign Feb 28th (month end). They had apparently met some numbers and received a bonus??? from Maserati and were able to apply the additional discount. The car had more options than I wanted. In the end, a win win situation since I got those options without actually having to pay for them and having to wait 3 months for custom ordering a car.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I have heard, Maserati USA is now giving dealers a $3000 incentive to move the cars. The dealer can choose to pass on this incentive or keep it. This is what I have heard. I would imagine that the original goals are not being met so Maserati jumped in to help dealers move the cars. The last thing they want is to miss their goal and have leftovers sitting on the lot come September.

With discounts of like what we see above at 12%, are dealers making any profit? I cant imagine them selling at a loss. I know there is back end money that Maserati gives the dealer for the sale. Dealers typically don't like to dip into these kickbacks nor will they ever discuss them with the client. Are dealers dipping into the back end money or are the markup on these cars that high that they can give 12% discounts and still make a profit without touching back end money?

I have no idea.

But I do know that getting these #s out in the open for everyone to see will def help the consumer. Dealers typically have all the ammo bc they know the true #s, leaving us to guess. They know that a client is only going to call at most 2-3 dealers to get pricing. By us posting up #s we have full transparency of what is going on.

Thanks guys, keep them coming! I am going to touch base with 3 more dealers tomorrow, 1 local and 2 out of town. East coast dealers seem to have better #s as well.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I was told by the business manager that the Dealer is making 15% which seems reasonable on a luxury product and I figure there is at least 30%-35% total profit. IMO the cars are marked up a bit to allow discounting while preserving profit margin as the discounting appears much easier process that other cars I have purchased.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was told by the business manager that the Dealer is making 15% which seems reasonable on a luxury product and I figure there is at least 30%-35% total profit. IMO the cars are marked up a bit to allow discounting while preserving profit margin as the discounting appears much easier process that other cars I have purchased.
that is def true if we are seeing people get 12% off. this 15% does not include the back door money either.

if you think about it, a 15% discount is not unrealistic. i know a woman who just bought a hyundai sonata. the MSRP was $22k, after all discounts and rebates were applied she paid roughly $18k. that alone represents about 20% and can be had all day long. why should this car be any different? just because its a maserati doesnt mean squat, its still simply a car. if anything, there is more profit built into the maserati because they only sell a handful of cars to survive. meanwhile hyundai can sell on smaller margins bc they have enormous volume.

there are discounts to be had, its just a matter of playing the market and timing your purchase if you want to land the best deal. sometimes you have to walk away in order to make that happen. just rem you dont need the dealer or the car to survive. however they do need you to stay in business and sell the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MSRP was $82,500 and we got it for $75,500 at Maserati Bergen County New Jersey. We were also told they were really trying to move cars and were not sure how long they would be discounted so much. We were told this after our deal was completed so it wasn't pressure to buy.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am getting ready to buy my Ghibli but have been hearing about large variations on the actual selling price from dealer to dealer.

Anyone who has gotten their Ghibli or to anyone who has went in to the dealer to get a quote please post up your #s so everyone can see what the true discounts and prices are. Let's stick together here and help each other out.

So far this is what I have been quoted:

***2014 Ghibli, RWD, Base + Proteo Wheel.
Msrp - $71,290
Discount - $(6,000)
Selling Price - $65,290

From what I have seen so far this is NOT a good deal. I have seen special order cars getting $4k off and stock cars between $6k - $11k off MSRP. As you can see these are large swings so please share with everyone your findings.
Went back to dealer today with my findings. New discount is $7000 off list, approx 10%. In my opinion this was a good deal considering the car only had the base option + proteo, so there wasn't a lot of markup involved with a car that is heavy on options.

Final price looks like this:

MSRP - $71,290
Disc - $(7,000)
-------------------
SP - $64,290

It took some time and I think the thing that seal the deal was the fact that I was able to provide evidence of other dealers discounting stock cars this heavy. In the end I have a new Maserati for under $65k. I'm happy that this is all over with though, negotiating is never a fun process ESP when you go in blind with no knowledge of what the dealers are paying, profiting, or what your neighbor is paying.

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
mrpa1999. Great to hear you got a good deal. I too found the forum very valuable to negotiate a fair price.
Interesting that depending on your purchase type (lease, finance or clean deal) the dealer was able to provide different incentives to move the car.
I was just over $91K MSRP for a car they found coming into port versus special order.
Best "net" price was financing. Netted $10K off versus clean deal of $8K off. I figured dealer was down to minimum threshold for this brand new car (not on lot) and was willing to share backend incentives for financing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You guys all got better deals than I did. This makes me sad. But this is what happens. Oh well, dwell on the positives.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts