Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys I finally received my 2014 ghibli. I have had it for a couple of hours. First and foremost, I have a Maser-friggin-rati! >:D

Alright so now I am off the giddy wagon, I am not one to drink the kool-aid so I have some initial observations on the car's performance and the electronics. I'll try to be as brief and direct as possible and forgive me as I am not a mechanic so i may not refer to things the right way.

Driving: the car is extremely powerful. The 404 BHP and 406 lb ft torque is like taking off in a rocket. I never had such a powerful car. My previous most powerful car was a Mercedes Benz 400 E and I thought that was powerful. This Italian baby blows that old Teutonic house Frau out of the water!

The accelerator pedal is extremely sensitive and it is so easy to exceed the speed limit. The ride in ICE is smooth without giving up a sporty feel. sport mode is heaven. The car stiffens and the sound is symphonic. Driving home on the GSP was in ICE to see how gas mileage was affected. I guess before the engine is fully broken in it made little difference in each mode as to M p g as I averaged 15.8. If you have a heavy foot, you WILL speed and the car WILL drink heavily, but if you were worried about MPG.....get a Prius! Steering is extremely responsive and tightens at high speed. Reviewers in some circles criticize the hydraulic steering preferring electronic steering. I am not an F-1 driver and I felt in total control at all speeds with the steering.

The fit and finish was perfect in my vehicle. I used Brian Anderson's punch list and I found no loose fittings, no squeaks, no rattles and no paint issues. The seats were great. I had back surgery in '08 and the lumbar support was just fine. The seat held me in place on tight cornering and the hour long ride did not fatigue or tire me at all. My wife,all of 5"2' of her sat very comfortably in the rear seat behind my 6"0' son. No complaints from her on room. My 6"0' friend also sat in the rear and had plenty of knee and leg room. I like to sit a bit up and raised due to my previous back issues and my son had no issues behind the captains chair. If you are 6"5 and you need to put another 6"5'er or two behind you....get the quatroporte...

Now some interesting points. I opted to purchase the hide away plate for the front. It will not work on our cars! The underside bumper is not flat! It is angled so a straight mount which does not contour the angle will leave the bracket exposed and subject it to low ground clearance damage. Someone on this forum posted that warning and was 100% correct. Save your $$ and allocate it to the local LEO retirement fund and get yourself a badge instead. I did exactly what Mrpa1999 suggested and bedded in the brakes at 1;00 am this morning on route 18. Listen to him DO IT! It makes a huge difference in brake control and feel. It took 35 minutes and I will not get squeaky squealing brakes. Read his thread comments and just do it!:D

Now something interesting, and I am no audio file and the car is not even 24 hours in my hands and only 75 miles mine...but once set up, the premium sound system was passable. Was it premium, NO, was it a transistor radio sound ? NO. Only time will tell, but the prep tech did tell me they had recieved notice that certain software was changed in Italy to address the AMP issue. Yes the EQ is still only bass, midrange and treble, but for now it sounds passable. I'll see how the subwoofer reacts over the next few hundred miles.

I did have issues with the iPhone using Bluetooth v. USB mode. In Bluetooth mode I lost songs, they dropped or paused inexplicably, I couldn't play music after hanging up the phone and in USB mode operations were erratic. I am not happy with that as I am constantly reliant on hands free phone in my profession. I was not happy that in Bluetooth you cannot see song name, artist album cover, etc on the MTC screen. That issue I will raise with Brian's spreadsheet. Other than that, the MTC and it's settings are quite intuitive and I give Maserati credit for that. I have absolutly Zero, zilch, nada issue with a) sharing parts from the Fiat Chrysler parts bin on either the switches or b ) the Uconnect. They work!

The Uconnect is Garmin. The same nav system I purchased as an aftermarket nav for all my other cars before. It is a great system, it works and best of all I am familiar with it so there is no learning curve. I got right in and knew how to program destinations, favorites and save them to the system. Good job Maserati. Just because I have the same NAV system as a Dodge Dart means the system works well across manufacturer lines. And more importantly, the knock on old Maseratis was specifically their use of Eurpoean crappy electronics. We have good old provn USA electronics in our car and for that I am glad. I am not a snob to think a Maserati needs some special system just because of its name. My best friend's Caddy has the Magellin system...he hates it and uses his IPhone to navigate. 'Nuff said on the parts bin issue as far as I am concerned, the parts sharing is one of the reason I afforded a Maserati in the first place.

One final thought to most of you who have yet to recieve their cars, the Maserati prep tech told me that Maserati is in their third production run on this vehicle and they have taken owners criticism and comments into account because most of the problem have been corrected, changed or modified. So far my dealer said they only had two premium sound system issues and they were from the first production run cars. So you 2014 owners waiting for your cars and you 2015 guys should have very little to worry about. Here' hoping the tech was right;)

Well, we have a holiday weekend so I'll be taking her out to put her through her paces and if any issues pop up I 'll let you know. Until then....

Arrivaderci!!;)

Steve

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice Steve.
Congtaulations!
Can't wait to see some photos.

·
Registered
852 Posts
hey spsesq i missed you out on 18 oh but I was sleeping!!! glad you got your ride and it will get better every day!! Cannot wait to give you the Maserati wave when we pass each other locally and regardless will meet you on July 12. Just remember to wake up every day to a remote cold start!!! Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Congratulations Steve!

I can hardly wait to bed in my brakes! >:D

Enjoy the holiday weekend with your new wheels.

DD

Reactions: Spsesq

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congratulations. The Ghibli is an excellent package of style, speed and practicality.

Agree with your uConnect comments. Very simple and responsive system to use.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok I have another thought. When reading certain reviews I did not understand the below quote from Jalopnik

There's another frustration that has to do with acceleration, and it's the throttle pedal itself. When you put your foot down on a throttle pedal, there's usually some sort of resistance or tactile feedback. This is how you know how far down the pedal is going. That doesn't happen in the Ghibli. The pedal is like pressing your foot down on the limp arm of a very dead man. There is just no communication to your foot

It actually got to a point where an extended drive made my foot and entire leg hurt, since I needed to make the resistance myself and actively hold my foot in one position. It stunk

In reality, now I do and I do have to agree, there is no resistance in the pedal and I do find myself having to keep my foot in a position that does create fatigue in the top of my ankle. I wonder if Maserati can do anything about that retroactively.

I also set the adaptive head lights to on but I don't see them turn when I turn. It's it only a subtle turning or should I see a dramatic pointing of the headlight around a corner?

I realize the Bluetooth connection, although more convenient, will not show names of songs, etc on the MTC. I see that a direct USB connection does. Is this a USB thing because more information is able to be transferred via cable as opposed to Bluetooth? If so there is an issue as to where to put your iPhone because the USB outlet should have been placed in the large storage box, not the small one. You can't fit the phone attached to the cable in the small box. (And I am not drilling holes)

I also have issues with the premium sound. I had my 19 year old son assist with the programming. His reaction was your typical wise ass son talk. "Dad, the sound sucks but your 51 so you don't need good sound!" He thought the speakers were crap. Too much vibration and distortion at higher volumes and no sound distinction at lower volume. I had to listen to what he was talking about when he played certain music and the wise ass was right.

I would think that Maserati could do one of two things, a) refund a portion of the premium so we could improve the speakers or b) offer the premium owners an free upgrade to a lower level Bower & Wilkens speaker than those used in the $5,100 set up and call it even. I would accept either offer.

Steve

·
Registered
278 Posts
Congratulations Spsesq with your dreamcar.

I don't get it, 95% of the people buying a Ghibli testdrive the car... so normally it means you test it...

Ok, in my 3 testcars: 1) S Q4 2) Diesel 3) 330hp in all those cars was the premium sound system.

Everytime I drove those cars I hated the sound and surely when I entered my audi again after the testdrive so the B&w hifi was the FIRST option I've selected, but then I had to ask the dealer to hear it in real because of the high price so I would have been worth its price, and it was.

So I don't get it that so much people are surprised that their sound system is so crappy while the most people had this system in their test-car....

I had to wait 2 weeks to hear the b&w system @ my dealer because everyone ordered a car with premium sound system.... unbelievable I said to him, its a waste of money.. and he reacted as this: much people don't need such a high end hifi, I reply'd: yes I know but garbage?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did test the car and I heard the stereo but a 15 minute test drive does not equate to listening in your car with your settings to your music.

I am eclectic when it comes to music. I listen to styles as diverse as ac/dc, Springsteen, pink Floyd and led zeppelin to Coldplay, Miles Davis, Bach, Beethoven, Gershwin and BBC-1 news and MSNBC business so once I got the car home and had my son set up the system with me I could really hear the highs, lows, bass and louder volume issues.

As I said I would appreciate Maserati offering me an upgraded speaker set and an expanded software equalizer with more than three bands.

That would satisfy me since and I would be quite content with he system. I don't need a system with sonic nuances only my dog could appreciate, I want just better less vibrating and clearer speakers.
Steve

·
Registered
852 Posts
As much as Maserati is a service company I would be surprised if they offer anything back on the Premium Stereo.............but i bet they will improve it on the 15's.........

·
Administrator
2,515 Posts
Spsesq - nice review and congratulations on the new addition to your family!! Glad you are very satisfied with it ... actually giddy. Many more miles of fun to come ...

I've been quite satisfied with mine and now the weather is warmer the car seems so much more fun (with supple summer P-zero's). I now have a whole collection of auto detailing, washing, drying, and storage accessories and equipment to keep me occupied on the weekends, (plus fill a few shelves in my garage). I'm sure you will too ...

I haven't driven mine for two weeks while in Germany and Austria ... it was an absolute pleasure to get in today and take her for a ride ... windows down manual and sport mode. Didn't see one Maserati while in Germany, but did see a real nice Bugatti Gran Sport ... which I had my car to ride along side is new delivery.

Interesting on Bluetooth ... mine works great with Iphone 5S (connects quickly and never looses connection) and probably sounds best this way on premium sound. My son is 22 ... he frankly doesn't car about my sound system as he has his headphones on all the time plus doesn't like my music anyway.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Email from Maserati

Thanks for all the well wishes! I hope you all have a great experience with your models and i hope all of us PA and NJ guys all get together on July 12. It will be nice to meet and share our ghibli stories in New Hope (even the New Yorkers are welcome, it just means more time behind the wheel for you). Anyway I had a couple of issues today, including buzzing speakers and the no sound at all issue. I added them to Brian Anderson' s list.

Interestingly I received a nice email from Maserati welcoming me to bring any issues up to customer service. I wrote about a the issues I found and few other glitches and annoyances but overall told them I love the car. I will let you know what they say in response.

I gave them seven issues to address. As I use the phone constantly for business, the MTC issues are supremely important to me to have resolved. The phone connection issues are the most baffling, USB v. Bluetooth has me frustrated, phone speaker vibrations, the sound system vibrations are annoying and the satellite reception problems are frustrating, but I was told they will arrange for an antenna for me so I will await their response on the other issues. ;)

Steve

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I would think that Maserati could do one of two things, a) refund a portion of the premium so we could improve the speakers or b) offer the premium owners an free upgrade to a lower level Bower & Wilkens speaker than those used in the $5,100 set up and call it even. I would accept either offer.

Hey Steve - that's exactly what Anderson_b76 said.

"....... There are really only two options IMO. You go with the upgraded B&W system…which is not worth more then a $3,500 upgrade, or you go the route I did. If you go the route I did, plan on spending $5K-$6K and will take 3 days to setup. Ultimately, you will have a better system then the B&W but it will be time and money........"

He and others have tried the aftermarket upgrade approach but that fails too due to unstable sound source (forgetting speaker replacement, dynamat etc). Hence my decision to lease with B&W until the Premium sound issues fixed and I get that 2018 with either the 450 HP V6 or the 560 HP V8.

DD

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
As much as Maserati is a service company I would be surprised if they offer anything back on the Premium Stereo.............but i bet they will improve it on the 15's.........

I was lead to believe that a SW fix will be available starting in late model 2015s; no word though on fix for rear parcel shelf, speaker quality or use of dynamat for Premium system. IMO a viable longer term solution could be to offer B &W system in two flavors - one with 10 speakers at $ 3,700 MSRP (that would be about $ 3,500 negotiated price) or with the current 15 speakers at $ 5,100.

DD

·
Registered
852 Posts
that is a good solution be interesting to see how they go but the 15"s have bee speced out already? are they in production? I know the 14"s are out of production.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
The current/next production run is for 2015s; mine is ordered and should be at Newark in early September.

Assuming the sub-woofer fix is now well known it should be in all 2015s but the 'fix' of the Premium Sound system will only be in cars starting with late model 2015s. Don't know if this is in addition to the EQ SW fix that Anderson_b76 referred to or if it is one and the same; I got the impression there was no fix for 2014s
- but let's hope I am wrong and that SW upgrade will be for all models and the late 2015s will have further improvements

DD

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Svelte
What did they do to fix the subwoofer in your car?

Also, someone please help me with something. I have the settings set to the easy exit setting to try it and see if I like it. However, once I turn off the car and open the door, nothing happens, no seat movement no nothing? I am not sitting all the way back by any stretch if the definition and it doesn't move. Is mine faulty? Or am I missing something.

Thanks for any assistance

Steve

·
Registered
75 Posts
So, Doubledeetob, can I ask you where you ordered your 2015. I have been waiting to order mine. But my dealer told me it's not ready to take order for 2015.

·
Administrator
2,515 Posts
Svelte
Also, someone please help me with something. I have the settings set to the easy exit setting to try it and see if I like it. However, once I turn off the car and open the door, nothing happens, no seat movement no nothing? I am not sitting all the way back by any stretch if the definition and it doesn't move. Is mine faulty? Or am I missing something.

Thanks for any assistance

Steve
I keep my seat pretty far back and no one else drives the car so once I moved to that position it stopped working for me. It seems to work only when you are "at least" a few inches forward of the full back position. For me, I have both memory's / keys set the same..

Not sure if you saw this thread:
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGIRjnQV-H7V7h2VfdAcx78T3ZeaA

1 - 20 of 25 Posts