Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Apple has been granted a new patent for vehicle dashboards, following their iOS In the Car app released earlier in 2013 Apple is serious about being in your next car. With Android slicing up iPhone sales, Apple is searching for diversified revenue streams.

The patent is based on a screen that would control nav, music, HVAC, wiper and defrosters. Apple is working to involve tangible feedback from the interface. During use the screen would respond beyond a subtle vibration some makers are using (shot at Cadillac). The setup would likely include raised edges, indents or grooves to aid finding controls while barreling down a highway.

Already iOS In the Car is slotted for use by a dozen makers, where this becomes interesting is that all vehicle interfaces could be homogenized similar to what iTunes did to music management. BMW has already stated they are not interested.

Ferrari already has an existing relationship with Apple, having just announced iPad minis will be incorporated into the Ferarri FF, how long until Maserati follows its big brother?

This could potentially revolutionize the way people drive off the road ;)

In all seriousness, PC vs Mac coming to a car near you

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wonder how iOS in the car is going to be pushed to all of those UConnect systems out there, that Fiat/Chrysler/Ferrari/Maserati all use. I'm hoping that this capability can be added to a new Ghibli later, via software update.

It would be disappointing to buy a Ghibli soon and then see this feature added to next year's models.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder how iOS in the car is going to be pushed to all of those UConnect systems out there, that Fiat/Chrysler/Ferrari/Maserati all use. I'm hoping that this capability can be added to a new Ghibli later, via software update.

It would be disappointing to buy a Ghibli soon and then see this feature added to next year's models.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm not sure TBH, but what I find interesting is how iOS in the car seems to be a bridge, allow people/makers to get a feel for Apple and then cross the bridge with a fully developed infotainment system

1 - 3 of 3 Posts