Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Honest opinion from a Ghibli owner.

Being a long time customer of luxury cars , I recently purchased a Maserati Ghibli. This is my honest opinion about the car.

I’ve purchased the Ghibli S Q4 witch I think is a direct competitor of the BMW 650i xDrive. I was debating between these two and chose the Ghibli.

The engine is really nice, pulling very strong anywhere in the rev band, thanks to the ZF 8 speed transmission. The way the programming was done on thistransmission, really transform the experience of the car while in sport mode.

Speaking of which, while in this mode, you get the true Italian sound experience! They have carefully tune the exhaust note to enhance even more the driving experience. Nicely done Maserati!

The interior is again very nice. The available options to customize it makes it a really a treat to the eyes. Rich leather, nice carbon fiber trims in my case and lots of Alcantara makes me want to spend lots of time in the cockpit. I’m a bit disappointed with the support from the front seats but they are not that bad.

As many reviewers mentioned, the Maserati Touch Control is nothing more then a new skin on top of Chrysler’s U Connect system. Does it work ? Yes… Navigation is easy, very snappy and fast but this is not suitable in a 100,000$ car. I was actually surprise to see from my own eyes, that the Chrysler version is more up to date and offer more features! A bit frustrating to see a 20,000$ Dodge Dart using the same unit but with more functionality!

Bluetooth integration is at a minimum level, witch will give you good quality phone conversation but bluetooth streaming will not provide you with songs name, artist info and so on. This really is annoying for me. All car makers offer this function even the Korean cars priced 10 times cheaper!

The fact that it doesn’t have any messaging or email integration makes me miss my BMW apps / BMW connected services a lot. I used to get myself up to date on emails while stuck in traffic during my commute to the office. Again not a show stopper but disappointing.

I can honestly say that the Maserati Ghibli looks amazing, feels very nice and drives well. In fact the attention you are getting from others is often awkward as this car looks much more expensive than it really is. If you are looking to get noticed, this is the car. Pedestrians, other car drivers, everyone looks at you!

After one week of driving the car in a normal way, the car started to rattle for many different places. Being concern about this, I started exchanging with other Ghibli owner across North America to realize this is not an isolated incident. According to Maserati, the fix is pretty simple, they are adding Dynamat like material to attenuate some of the rattles.

That sounds like a workaround that should have been take place before I got the car. They’ve charge me 4,000$ for Transport and Preparation. This is double of all German automaker!

So lets assume for a minute that this will fixe most of the rattles in the car.
You still need to get an appointment to get the car fix.

Maserati sold 15,400 cars last year worldwide. They are hoping the Ghibli will open up a whole new market for them and are expecting getting market share from Audi, Benz and BMW. Their plan is to sell 50,000 cars for this calendar year.

That is a nice plan but if this is the case, you have to make sure your dealership are able to accommodate this new traffic and most importantly, make sure the positive experience does not stop after you take the keys of you new car.

My experience was very far from a positive one. Upon calling services department, I got, sure you can drop you car we will look at it… ok when ? Do I get a loaner ? Could you provide more details ? A loaner ??? What is that, you want to know how long will the car be in shop ? Why ? Don’t you have a dozen of other cars you can use ?

Now that will not fly with ex german car owners. When you need service, you need it now, and you need to make sure, you either get a loaner or a rental no question ask.

Lets just say that the first week was a learning experience for me. I really like the car but it’s the little annoying things like that that make me realize the value of German automakers.

Maserati have nailed the uniqueness experience, the feeling of driving an exotic for the price of a luxury German car but they are sure not ready for prime time.

I honestly think that the car is not ready for prime time yet! All I know is after just one week with the car, I am convinced that I will be driving a German car shortly!

Attachments

Reactions: Mangirek

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thats a fast conclusion after only 1 week of ownership.

I see the rattle problem passing once in a while on the forums but mine has no problems yet after almost 2 weeks of ownership, I hope it stays this way, as for service, my dealership is perfect, If there is something wrong with the car the owner of the garage comes to my company to take my car and he leaves another maserati that I can have as a loaner.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post. Maserati has pinned the success of their brand to this model and disappointed customers like yourself won't help. I think 2015 model is going to be the make it or break it model.

10 days into ownership into my baseline Ghibli and still on cloud nine. Had no luck with BMW and Porsche.

My dealer in Tampa put it in writing that they will pickup my car from home or office and leave a loaner behind for all service and repairs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm from Montreal and the car is a 2014 model. Don't get me wrong, the car is insane. It's fast, beautiful and handles flawlessly. It's just not at par with the others as far a Quality Control. I'm sure my dealer will take good care of me. It's just that I wasn't expecting this type of problems on a 100K car.

And yes I understand that the purist will say the car has soul and you do not need all of the electronics but I still think you need a bit of high tech...

Also, I was sold the car as a daily driver to replace a 2012 BMW 5 series. The Ghibli is directly after this market, E-Class Benz and Audi A6... You can deliver on looks and performance, but you need to deliver on Quality also.. I'm sure in 24 months they will have iron out all the little bugs but in the meantime, service need to be top notch!

·
Administrator
2,518 Posts
Johnny A - The car looks great!!! Have essentially the same with Grigio Mareata
I think your write-up has elements of what others have stated in this forum.

I do think the dealer experience and knowledge is hit or miss. I drove 200 miles to get my Maserati, than found another dealer 100 miles away that is best in class and responsive.

No questions about a loaner ... service was scheduled, offered to pick-up and exchange with loaner. All my questions were addressed prior to the service appointment and work completed / explained prior to pick-up.

Maserati also has some room to improve product consistency. I think they stretched the bounds of trying to create a price point for this model; not to mention it was being made on a brand new automated plant for the first time.

All in all the pro's outweigh the negatives in my mind. The biggest wild card is the computer system and software which I believe are root cause of many of the electronic problems in body and engine.

Enjoy the ride ... guess you will be getting winter tires or finding another vehicle for winter?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BeerGuy, as of now, I'm still debating between buying another car for winter or using this one. The plan was to go for 19" wheels with Pirelli winter tires but we will see. The car is so gorgeous I have a tough time thinking I'll be driving it in snow! I am not too worried about the dealership, it was over the phone, first time I called so I will pass by and meet the service manager. I'm sure all will be behind me in a few days

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Car looks great!
Also keep in mind that the engine is developed by Ferrari and the new 458T and California T will use the engine found on the QP GTS. While BMW Mercedes and Audi have mass production engines specially since we are not talking about M or AMG. That adds to the cost so Maserati couldn't add an expensive navigation system and have the car start at 65K. Maybe Maserati could have done like most German cars and start at 65K without Naviagtion, backing up camera, bluetooth, etc. Plus if it had the same navigation system as the QP it wouldn't justify the 20k difference.

·
Administrator
2,518 Posts
I bought Pirelli Sotto3 for a second set of 20" Urano like rims. I'll switch out for winter since the tires are also worthless in cold weather due to their composition. I don't want to drive in bad weather, but have an Escalade to use in inclement weather. Although, I'm interested to see how the AWD works in a fresh "clean" snowfall.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was looking at getting a set of 1000 Miglia MM1005 in 19" They have an OEM fitment for the Ghibli without centering rings and perfect offset at a very decent price.

My local tire shop has them available as a Package (Wheels, Pirelli Winter Tires, TPMS sensors), mounted / balanced for 2900$ Can't go wrong with this setup. 3400$ for 20"

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Maserati sold 15,400 cars last year worldwide. They are hoping the Ghibli will open up a whole new market for them and are expecting getting market share from Audi, Benz and BMW. Their plan is to sell 50,000 cars for this calendar year.

That is a nice plan but if this is the case, you have to make sure your dealership are able to accommodate this new traffic and most importantly, make sure the positive experience does not stop after you take the keys of you new car.

My experience was very far from a positive one. Upon calling services department, I got, sure you can drop you car we will look at it… ok when ? Do I get a loaner ? Could you provide more details ? A loaner ??? What is that, you want to know how long will the car be in shop ? Why ? Don’t you have a dozen of other cars you can use ?

Now that will not fly with ex german car owners. When you need service, you need it now, and you need to make sure, you either get a loaner or a rental no question ask.

Lets just say that the first week was a learning experience for me. I really like the car but it’s the little annoying things like that that make me realize the value of German automakers.
JohnnyA - thank you for the post. A lot of excellent observations and a nice summary of experiences a lot of fellow Ghibli owners share.
I thought a lot about Maserati's chance against mid-size Germans. I think that the company is not ready for it yet. I owned a 2011 BMW 335d and I really enjoyed the dealership experience - free maintenance for 4 years was awesome, loaner is a must and you can pick and choose, easy scheduling.
What I really liked with BMW was a relative transparency of car pricing and national financing/lease offers.
Some Maserati dealers (I had an experience with a few of them shopping for the best deal) unfortunately have the I sell 100k plus cars and what do you mean specials? attitude that will not fly with the new clientele Ghibli is designed for/previous German brands car owners. A lot of potential clients will be extremely scared about "legendary" expensive maintenance and will make a safe choice and get a German car again. So far I got some really expensive quotes for a simple fixes like tire switch from the service departments - again, a lot of potential owners will run away.
At the same time I had nothing but wonderful experience from the dealer I finally got the car from - I wish they were local!
I am die-hard Maserati fan and I wish the brand a huge success. But it is not going to be an easy task. It is October and there is still a lot of 2014 inventory out there.
I am extremely happy with the car and I can't complain - even if there are any rattles or noises I turn on the Sport mode and focus my attention on the engine growl :D. I have not turned the radio yet listening to the beautiful engine sounds all the time ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
everybody knows you don't buy an Italian car for its electronics... if there is 1 thing Italians are bad @ its electronics...

If you buy a Ferrari it would be even worser :)

Also as I already said the maserati is a perfect car as a second car but not as a daily.

I've haven't driven my ghibli for about 3 full days, and i'm really pissed now, I wish I had more time...........

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use my Ghibli as a daily driver, and will use it throughout the winter here. 3 months in and I consider it an excellent daily driver. It has all the electronics I need. I wouldn't want any more. I bought this car as a daily driver over a German saloon because I want my daily commute to be an event, an enjoyable driving experience. I want to relish the feel and the noise of the car on every journey. I would not want emails or texts to interfere with my enjoyment of that experience. I spend plenty enough time in my office. When I leave I want to turn off and unwind and the Ghibli helps me do that perfectly. If I had wanted a moving office I would have bought German, but the Ghibli is not and is not trying to be that car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Rwc13 - you described my feelings perfectly! I just really hope that Maserati will find enough enthusiasts like us and other fellow Ghibli forum members to support it's growth and ambitious plans. And I am a little afraid that it is not going to be easy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use my Ghibli for my daily driving and I'm very happy with it -- it's every bit as functional in that respect as the BMW 550i it replaced. I've had the car for a little over 3 months.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can't get a more passionate car enthusiast guy then me , but you can't pay a car 100K and have rattle all over the place. I didn't buy a subaru a bought a Maserati. Service is expected to be top notch also.

As far as electronics, you guys are right, and I didn't buy this car for that. The reality is my drive from home to office is around 18 miles. 12 of pure pleasure and 6 of painful traffic.

Usually I spend 20 to 30 min in bumper to bumper traffic so the growl and power of the engine is not helping much. Here in Montreal if you are using your phone while driving even in pure traffic, you get a 150$ fine so being able to catch up on email. But this is not at all part of my deception.

So, I love the car and the way it drives, but I can't accept a car that rattles like that and a service dept that doesn't know how to handle a customer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am lucky that I have a brilliant long established Maserati dealer, who will collect and re-deliver my car in a covered lorry if anything goes wrong, and will always leave me another Maserati. Any they are 70 miles away.

JohnnyA, where are the rattles coming from? Subwoofer, or elsewhere?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JohnnyA, where are the rattles coming from? Subwoofer, or elsewhere?
The rattles are coming from 2 places. Subwoofer is on of them, I think that the quick fix would be to add isolation type material like Dynamat to minimize the problem and the second one seems to come from the exhaust system.

Not sure if it is something inside the exhaust that is broken or if it is a heat shield surrounding the exhaust but it vibrates a lot and make many other parts in the car vibrates / rattle due to the harmonics effect.

even at idle sport mode on or off you can here it. It sounds anything but nice Italian growl.

At the beginning I was under the impression I had multiple rattling pieces inside the cabin but I realized the main cause is coming from the exhaust who in returns cause a ripple effect.

I'm still waiting for an appointment from my dealer to look have them look at this and I can't wait to drive the beautiful loaner they will be offering me.... yep a nice Fiat 500! we are not even talking about an abarth here, a plain old Fiat 500 pop!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts