Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I purchased a MY15 Ghibli about 2 years ago, and have had pesky actuator problems in HVAC system from the beginning. They usually clear on their own, but currently they're still stuck in a strange state:

Driver-side AC and front Windshield both blow only cold air no matter what (probably because Driver-side and windshield actuator is the same)
Passenger-side AC blows whatever it is set to: hot or cold

I know this is due to the actuator timings being off and this was a recall that was sent out for the MY14-MY16 cars - usually a software update fixes it and in rare cases, the actuator gets stuck and gets burnt out and has to be replaced.

My question is:
Is anyone aware of the procedure to get the software upgraded? I'm out of warranty and am allergic to the dealer because in my experience they just try and rip you off anytime you bring your car in. Is it possible to do the software update yourself, if you have the proper tool? Does anyone know what tool is needed?

If I have to go to the dealer, anyone know how much a SW update like this would cost? I've read somewhere in the $180 range but not sure.
Also is anyone aware of any sort of language that one should have with the dealer in order to make sure they ONLY do the SW update and don't run some health check on your car that identifies 30 things "wrong" with it with a $9,000 bill (sorry, past experiences)?

Any help appreciated!

·
Administrator
2,599 Posts
Unfortunately, only the dealer can update the software through the port in the drivers side firewall. I think your minimum charge is one hour, but sometimes there is diagnostics to trouble shoot. You're probably not that far off in the 200-300 range depending on what they find.
This update should have been done proactively by the dealer during the warranty period, but not all dealers were proactive and some owners who serviced their cars outside the dealer missed the update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts