Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This would be a rhetorical question to post here but I will still do it as I am looking for some serious advise.

I am looking for a new daily driver which will be my only car, and as I reside in the Toronto area I need it to be more than drivable during the winter months as well. After driving a lot of cars over the last month I have finally decided 2 and am torn to make this choice.

Option 1) Ghibli SQ4

Option 2) 2014 Porsche Cayenne S

I know that these are 2 different cars and there is no comparison between the 2, but I am asking for advice based on which machine to buy ;)

What I truly require is 4 doors, decent amount of space, definitely 4 passengers, 5 rarely would be great. I do not really need a SUV but the Cayenne doesn't feel like one.

Would really appreciate if you guys on this forum can convince me that I am being ridiculous and Ghibli is the clear winner here.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Go test drive both cars and be your own judge. In any respect, if you don't really want an SUV, I 'd say the clear choice is a loaded up SQ4. And really, what do you see in the Cayenne? It sure feels like a bunch of other SUVs out there and I see TONS of them on the road. If you're a chick with kids, fine, you have an excuse, otherwise...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hold on, my friend, just for a few days, and I'll come back on with a snow driving report. I'm in the Utah mountains with an S Q4, and we are expecting my Ghibli's first snowfall. I did get snow tires yesterday so will go at it quite aggressively and let you know. A word on rear seating space...the middle seat is on a rise & is too close to the ceiling to seat a 5'9" person on anything more than a 15 minute ride. That being said, it gives you a reason, male or female, not to be hauling people around in your Maserati.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think the only way is to go test drive both of them and see which you enjoy more.

Its very hard to decide based on opinions

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have a 911 Carrera S, manual drive, black-on-black with PCCBs. We love this car! I cringe when I see the Cayennes, but evidently they help offset the cost of the 911s. I haven't driven an SUV since the early 90's. They've just become too popular.

When we shopped for our lastest car, hubby wanted AWD, I said it can't be an SUV. If I were to ever venture back into SUV territory, I'd probably look at the Land Rover Sport.

Driving the Ghibli absolutely wins your heart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

I have driven both and can tell you firsthand that both drive really well. Really well is an understatement for both these cars.

When I think about it, it is the most ridiculous thing I feel - comparing a sedan to SUV....but the cayenne does not drive like one....put it in sports and that thing handles better than a lot of sedans on the market.

What I remember distinctly from my test-drives is that both these cars put a big smile on my face after driving them, so both will make me happy. The ghibli just connected with me at a different level....the response you get from the car is amazing, just a truly drivers car.

My concerns with the Ghibli:

1) Maintenance and Warrant costs
2) Electronic issues - The Italians are passionate about their engines, can't necessarily say that about their reliability
3) Driving around in winter months (Think snow)
4) Resale value - I am going to buy the car up front with no financing; what do you guys think about the depreciation on this one?

Maybe some of you guys can help me with some of my concerns.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Sibylghibli - Any report on driving in snow? How is it driving so far and any issues you have had or complains?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update on winter performance. In Park City, Utah, with snow tires, I had no concerns in recent large snowfalls. Driving conditions and snow removal are poor in my neighborhood, but the Ghibli S Q4 is a beast. Only concern is everyone else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
See separate note...the Ghibli is amazing in winter. I drove 65 mph in 6" of snow up I-80 from Salt Lake City and passed everyone. Just worried about other drivers, as usual. $1800 snow tires. I fall deeper in love with my car every day. It roars, it purrs. Everything seems to be in the right place inside, and it must be under the hood as well. I can't lie...it is a head turner, and I love that people of all ages hang out their car windows to see it coming and going. I don't think a Cayenne will give you that special connection the Ghibli can. I'd feel sad (dreadful) if I had to trade, even if the Cayenne were loaded and free. And came with $20,000 cash back. The Ghibli is like the finest cashmere sweater you ever owned, and you never want to take it off ever. Best check I ever wrote; I had been worried of buyers remorse as I am stingy...none, not even a pang.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My only concern for the Ghibli over the Porsche would be maintenance. How far are you from a dealer should anything occur? The Ghibli is as yet untested, whereas the Porsche has a track record and service centers all over the place.

As for resale, I imagine in the first couple of years it will remain pretty good. It's the cheapest Maserati ever made afterall, so it won't carry nearly the plume of smoke in depreciation that a V8 Quattroporte or Granturismo has, in which you're essentially paying tens of thousands more for not a whole lot extra, in my opinion.

I just sold my Cadillac CTS-V and lost $20,000 in a flash just to buy a Ghibli. That stung, but would do it all over again if that's a testament to how much I love this car. I would not feel the same about a Cayenne, and I'd put my money on the Ghibli's resale being better in the short and long term.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great post, Sibyl! Just had our winters installed. Waiting to see how well it handles.

No buyer's remorse here. People think it costs a lot more than it does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've owned many cars, including 911, 2 Cayenne S, many BMWs. Current daily driver is Panamera 4S and wife has 528xi. The Cayenne S is a great car, far sportier to drive than you can imagine if you havent driven it. Rock solid, great in snow, maintenance free. No other SUV compares, IMO. However, it is an SUV and its just not as responsive as a sports sedan. I'm also considering the Ghibli Q4. I have questions about reliability and snow performance, but its so hot I'm not sure I care! 2 very different cars, but at the end of the day, I think you'll be happy with either one.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is just my opinion.

The Cayenne is the sportiest SUV money can buy, but it is still a SUV.

I wouldn't be too worried about depreciation as the Cayenne is probably the worse from Porsche when it comes to that. And the Ghibli being a new + first year model I don't think it will be that great either.

I think reliability should be your key concern.

I do not think snow is a big deal. I've driven high powered RWD cars before in the snow. Good winter tires and a smart right foot will get you through just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts