Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am currently leasing a BMW 535xi (w/m-sport package)...my third 5 series in a row and I am looking to lease something new....

I am looking for a sporty, exotic AWD vehicle that I can drive all year round, living in New Jersey. I have driven my AWD 5 series cars in the snow for close to a decade and they have never failed me in bad weather.

I have looked at the AWD spec'd Ghibli and personally think it looks fantastic. I do wish the car was a bit more up-to-date with respect to its interior technology toys/stereo/safety features, but the engine and styling works for me and I like the idea of getting something different from the masses.

So here's my question. I typically drive around 7k miles per year, consisting of a 4 mile drive in the morning to a park and ride and a 4 mile ride home at night from the same place...and with more miles driven on the weekends. How will this engine fare with starting cold every morning and only driving 4 miles and then going cold again for about 12 hours and then driving 4 miles home? My BMWs have been completely fine with this and wonder if anyone has any input that would lead me to be concerned with a driving pattern such as this with the Ghibli.

(Also, and please don't flame me for this, has anyone compared a Ghibli to a Porsche Macan? I know one is an suv and the other is not, but hey, I like them both and could see myself driving either.)

Thank you.

New Guy

·
Registered
357 Posts
The Ghibli Q4 is your answer and will be a huge step up- get ready for all the fun, excitement, complements from friends and strangers and the aching facial muscles from the non stop grin on your face. Cheers mate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello everyone! I am currently leasing a BMW 535xi (w/m-sport package)...my third 5 series in a row and I am looking to lease something new....

I am looking for a sporty, exotic AWD vehicle that I can drive all year round, living in New Jersey. I have driven my AWD 5 series cars in the snow for close to a decade and they have never failed me in bad weather.

I have looked at the AWD spec'd Ghibli and personally think it looks fantastic. I do wish the car was a bit more up-to-date with respect to its interior technology toys/stereo/safety features, but the engine and styling works for me and I like the idea of getting something different from the masses.

So here's my question. I typically drive around 7k miles per year, consisting of a 4 mile drive in the morning to a park and ride and a 4 mile ride home at night when from the same place...and with more miles driven on the weekends. How will this engine fare with starting cold every morning and only driving 4 miles and then going cold again for about 12 hours and then driving 4 miles home? My BMWs have been completely fine with this and wonder if anyone has any input that would lead me to be concerned with a driving pattern such as this with the Ghibli.

(Also, and please don't flame me for this, has anyone compared a Ghibli to a Porsche Macan? I know one is an suv and the other is not, but hey, I like them both and could see myself driving either.)

Thank you.

New Guy

I drove a Pan4 about 7500K miles/yr. for the last 3 years and am now in a Ghibli. I test drove a Macan turbo S. Sweet ride but I like my Ghibli better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I drive about 8k per year. No battery issues with the Ghibli so far. I never had issues with my X6 50i but had to put a battery tender on my 335xi when in the garage. My situation is slightly different though. 45 mile drive to the airport and the it sits there for 2-5 days.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I drive my Ghibli 4 miles in the morning and then 4 miles back home similar to what you have described. I drive it a bit more on the weekend. I had my Ghibli Sq4 for 5 months now so far no problems. Great everyday driver. BMW 5 series is a nice car but Ghibli is something different. I had a 7 series and a 3 series BMW before (loved it) but there is something special about Ghibli. I recently talked to the manager at my dealership who visited the Maserati factory a month ago. He mentioned that the 2015 are even better. Maserati have fixed a lot of issues that were in 2014.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hi

I have owned my Ghibli for about 5 months now. I really like the car, like how it performs, like the look, and the attention it gets, but there are a few things I can't help complaining about it.

1. the interior quality is not as good as the high end German or Japanese cars. I had annoying squeaking/rattling noise from day 1 from 5 different places in the car. That is not suppose to be happening with a 5 months old car. I have owned the 5 series and the E class. both definitely have better quality interior than Ghibli.
2. the $2000 premium sound is worse than any system in any car I have ever owned.
3. Maserati service. My experience with 3 local dealers have not been too pleasant. Maserati are usually sold by dealer that sells very expensive exotic cars or the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers. With the Exotic car dealers, Maserati Ghibli being the cheapest cars they sell, I felt they don't give us the same level of respect, provide the same level of service "attitude". With the Chrysler dealers, I felt that their experience and knowledge is not enough. But this is my own personal experience. I have heard some really great things about other dealers from forum members.
4. Car value: I have heard that Maserati doesn't keep it's value as good as other exotic cars and worse than the German luxury cars. I guess time will tell.

I still like the car. It performs well. I am lucky that it has not had any major issues. As long as Maserati can fix all the little issues, I think I will keep this car for awhile.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

By the way, Macan is nice. But I would probably go for the bigger brother.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I dive my Ghibli approximately 5k miles per year. Usually 4k of those miles are between April and November, and 1k miles for the remaining couple of months. I've had the car since September with no issues. Starts right up. It's so much fun doing the remote start standing behind the car on a cold morning. It is incredibly loud...and perfect!

Reactions: Mangirek
1 - 7 of 7 Posts