Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is Ghibli forum but considering most of are Maserati enthusiasts, I would like to bring a question which I personally had tough moment deciding before I finally purchased the Ghibli.

Would you buy a brand new Ghibli at US $90,000 or 2 years old used Granturismo at US$90,000 with less than 10,000 miles.
I know the reason most of us buying Ghibli here is because we can enjoy both worlds of practicality and performance. However there are many used GranTurismo out there, which I think looks sexier:), at this price range.
GranTurismo has higher maintenance as well, but people spending $90,000 on a car, I suppose you can spend $3000~4000 on maintenance.
I also heard insurance is higher on GranTurismo.

What are your thoughts? Is there any particular reason you are considering Ghibli over GranTurismo?

·
Registered
324 Posts
They are different cars. Think more about your needs and the car's function eg. 2 dr v. 4 dr etc.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know this is Ghibli forum but considering most of are Maserati enthusiasts, I would like to bring a question which I personally had tough moment deciding before I finally purchased the Ghibli.

Would you buy a brand new Ghibli at US $90,000 or 2 years old used Granturismo at US$90,000 with less than 10,000 miles.
I know the reason most of us buying Ghibli here is because we can enjoy both worlds of practicality and performance. However there are many used GranTurismo out there, which I think looks sexier:), at this price range.
GranTurismo has higher maintenance as well, but people spending $90,000 on a car, I suppose you can spend $3000~4000 on maintenance.
I also heard insurance is higher on GranTurismo.

What are your thoughts? Is there any particular reason you are considering Ghibli over GranTurismo?

The Granturismo is a sexier car and sounds better. However, it isn't as fast if you are buying a 2012. In 2013 they updated the styling slightly, the interior seats and added a little more hp. The GT is VERY expensive to insure….like $3,500 a year versus 1/2 that for a Ghibli. Maintenance is also very expensive. If you want it as an everyday car, you are better off with the Ghibli IMO. As a second car, no question the GT.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree with anderson.............I am coming from a Camero......not the same as a GT but like a GT it has no practical value whatsoever.........hard to get in and out of......two peeps only............has a trunk but the access is small limiting what goes in there........it will fit two or three sets of golf clubs however!!!! So I have had the car three years and have 12K miles on it......awesome car chevy has created something amazing for $32K......wife will only drive it under duress (very poor sight lines especially passenger rear) high belt line etc........I bought the Ghibli because of course it was a Maz but the Ghibli has two personalities.............pure luxury car (skyhook, laminated glass, nice ride smooth tranny) and is a sport car (Q S4, sports mode, exhaust note, top speed 175) etc...........so my wife swears she will drive it and it will be our family car and my sports car!! I was thinking of getting a corvette and a BMW but owning a Maz made the difference.......good luck hopes this helps!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I owned a new 2012 Maserati GTS Auto for 2 years. White/Black gloss trident wheels. Loved the looks and the exhaust sound. The first service was $1200. It has 8000 miles and I just traded it in for a Ghibli. So far I'm happy with the decision, the Ghibli is a better daily driver. The Grandturismo was great on the weekends. Mileage and insurance is better on the Ghibli. I think you made a wise decision. I may buy a Grandturismo again once the body style changes in 2016 but will have it as a secondary car, not a primary car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I owned a new 2012 Maserati GTS Auto for 2 years. White/Black gloss trident wheels. Loved the looks and the exhaust sound. The first service was $1200. It has 8000 miles and I just traded it in for a Ghibli. So far I'm happy with the decision, the Ghibli is a better daily driver. The Grandturismo was great on the weekends. Mileage and insurance is better on the Ghibli. I think you made a wise decision. I may buy a Grandturismo again once the body style changes in 2016 but will have it as a secondary car, not a primary car.
I agree with you. I might buy GranTurismo or GranSport as secondary car in couple of years when they have full change model. For now I love my Ghibli, and the more I drive the more I love. I think I made a wise decision.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Would not buy the Granturismo INSTEAD of a Ghibli, but as a secondary. Granturismo is way too dated for my taste and I'm waiting on its replacement if I'm going to consider giving up my F Type for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same dilemma

I'm pondering the same question myself. I'm currently driving a 2010 QP GTS sports and am enjoying it - only the sticky plastic bits and the recurrent clock resets upon ignition spoil it somewhat. I've always loved the GT look. I've been offered a used Ghibli, with full options. I'm not sure that I can learn to love the grill but it seems to be a sleeker car than my QP. I use it mainly for my short commute to work. Will I find the Ghibli a 'downgrade' from my older QP?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Current Ghibli and GP are same engineering, different in size. If you get base engine you will notice difference. "10 was a completely different car. You need a completely loaded upgrade car to match Ghibli to GP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the replies. An additional choice, a 2011 Granturismo MC sportline, which I don't really what it is. I'm test driving tomorrow. So at the moment, either I stick with my QP 2010 Sport GTS, or change to a 2016 Ghibli, or to a 2011 GT MC SL. I'm quite happy with my QP but am thinking of something a bit sleeker. The other thing is that if I was going to change to a GT, I was going for a MC stradale.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Ghibli grille?

·
Registered
695 Posts
You have to get the 404HP engine, and the upgraded and extended leather. Wheel size is at least '19 if used early model. After that upgraded radio tho '14-'15 sucks unless all upgrades done. Compared to my well equiped '14 base our loaded '17 S is nite and day and except for size reminds me of the QP I test drove. We have full sport package with new interior and skyhook, leather upgrade and driver aid package, which is all the safety toys Maser never offered. If Maser just made this and priced it$75k and dealers sell them for the $71k I paid they would sell better, but sticker was $89k+.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Current Ghibli and GP are same engineering, different in size. If you get base engine you will notice difference. "10 was a completely different car. You need a completely loaded upgrade car to match Ghibli to GP
Thanks. Do you mean that I would need a completely loaded recent Ghibli to match my 2010 QP Sport GTS or a contemporary QP please?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyway, so I just test drove the 2016 Ghibli, supposedly spec'd up but still 345bhp. It's nice and new, more mod cons than my 2010 QP GTS sport (and doesn't suffer from sticky plastic) but bit boring really. There are certain bits around my daily commute that I know where to floor it (a slip road after a turn at lights that goes to 80 immediately). The acceleration and the sound was just meh in comparison. So testing the 2011 GT MC Sportline later today.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyway, so I just test drove the 2016 Ghibli, supposedly spec'd up but still 345bhp. It's nice and new, more mod cons than my 2010 QP GTS sport (and doesn't suffer from sticky plastic) but bit boring really. There are certain bits around my daily commute that I know where to floor it (a slip road after a turn at lights that goes to 80 immediately). The acceleration and the sound was just meh in comparison. So testing the 2011 GT MC Sportline later today.
Go for the 2013 GT if you can swing it the updates make a BIG difference both aesthetically and functionally.

IMO the base pre-2013 GT has been eclipsed by top of the line Ghibli and I have a 2014 GT MC. I was given a ghibli S as a loaner car and was COMPLETELY in love with it, the exhaust note was very good the interior and the car play. It also got plenty of looks.

Yes the Ghibli is not as raw due to the V* nor has the same presence as the GT MC but man I'll tell you it was close, throw on some carbon fiber and chip the Ghibli and man they would be head to head...

I LOVE it when old thread rear their hydra heads again... it's interesting to see how perspectives change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll see what comes up. I've no doubt that a new top of the line Ghibli could outperform an older GT, that's just progress. But I don't like the Ghibli grille, is that an irrational reason for not wanting a Ghibli? LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts