Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am about 1 week, 800 miles, into the new car and experiencing a strong love hate relationship with it. It looks, rides, and performs great I must admit but the horrible brake noise is killing the experience for sure. I have read the numerous threads here and the dealer in Houston claimed they changed the pads and the rotors but the noise has not gone away one bit. They did manage to fix the subwoofer issue after reading the advice about remounting it from this site, so thanks.

Holding out hopes the brakes get better soon.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Do you have the rear wheel drive or AWD version? I think most of the brake issues were with the rear wheel drive.

Do you know the car date of manufacture (inside drivers door frame)?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have heard talk that a factory modification is taking place to combat this brake problem.
Does anyone have any info. on this ??.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the rear wheel drive version and manufactured on 2/14. The dealer did say the manufacture is working on a solution, but until then driving a brand new car that sounds like it needs a brake job. Not good for their image (or mine) :)

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Terryb: That's too bad that you have the dreaded brake noise. The dealer warned me about it and gave me a suggestion to help seat the pads by make a few hard stops. I didn't find that a reasonable solution.

What's worse, is your car was made in 2/14 ... these complaints have been showing up since 8/13 production. There should have been a solution ... especially since they have QP and Ghibli S-Q4's without the noise.

You should make sure you fill out the Ghilbi Issues Workbook through Anderson_b76 private message to get your concerns on the group list.

Fortunately, I have the AWD and no problems as of yet.

Enjoy the car as best you can ... sounds like you need to keep in sport mode and never take your foot of the accelerator:)

·
Registered
852 Posts
You would re sourced pads would fix this ? If this is a design issue could take longer but as this is brambo it is their reputation too!! Hope it gets resolved soon!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm experiencing same problem, i have the base, but im not bothered. I only hear it during low speed, most of the time in high speeds! high revs! Maybe just needs time to break-in new pads.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's so odd that this problem is occuring with just the RWD models. You would think Maserati could figure out the difference between the two systems and be able to rectify the issue rather quickly.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
I was curious and had to do some checking. The S-Q4 brakes front and back are different than on RWD Ghibli ... both Brembo but different designs.

SQ-4 are dual cast iron/aluminum composition discs, larger in diameter and have a different piston system for the front wheels, (6 point versus 4 on Ghibli).

Sounds like a design opportunity and wonder if it's coming from front wheel brakes. I've heard where they have replaced pads and/or resurfaced with little success.

Hopefully they implement a fix soon for a RWD companions!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't been having a squealing problem with my RWD.

If I press the brake pedal verrrrry gently while approaching a stoplight, I can hear a very faint squeal from the right rear, but that's it. 95% of the time no noise.

And I drive with the sound system off so I would hear it.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
svelte - that's good to hear (or actually in this case not hear). Just curious do you know your build date (drivers side door frame)? So far up to 2/14 build date has experienced brake noise. I've not seen anyone mention on the S-Q4 or any new build dates.

·
Registered
159 Posts
svelte - that's good to hear (or actually in this case not hear). Just curious do you know your build date (drivers side door frame)? So far up to 2/14 build date has experienced brake noise. I've not seen anyone mention on the S-Q4 or any new build dates.

October 2013 build date

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just an update, I've noticed the noise or squeels during breaking had lessen. I've also noticed there's a lot of breakdust on the two front wheels. So it seems like it's a normal process for these type and model of brembo calipers. Will continue to monitor and update.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes there is a LOT of brake dust coming off our Ghibli...even more than our Vette and I thought that was a lot!

Front two brakes mostly but also the left rear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts