Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking and studying and finally narrowed my choices down to satisfy my craving for a sports car ... last one I had was a 1972 455 cubic inch HO Formula Firebird.

Started with Aston Martin and Maserati GT-S; than my practical side nudged me a little to the supercharged Jaguar and Cadillac AWD. Until, I saw the Ghilbi Q4-S in a few videos and teasers ... I was on the hook.

Now to layout my options and figure how to negotiate the best deal for something this new and in demand. Many thanks to you guys on the forum which provided insights which armed me with the tools to negotiate a fair price.

I reached out to a few dealers, the one I choose was 200 miles away, and he found the car I specified sitting at the NJ port ... and fortunately the consigned dealer was willing to make a swap. Vehicle Manufactured 12/2013.

Grigio Maratea with the metallescent paint is classy, (close 2nd was Nero Ribelle, but already have a Black Escalade).

Cuoio Interior with black headliner and open pore wood (carbon was first choice, but that was my sacrifice).

20" Urano Polished Wheels

Premium Package

Premium Sound System (which is OK)

Sport Package

Luxury Package

Cold Weather Package

At the dealer, I added permanent battery tender, bought a set of the P-Zero3 winter tires (on sale) which I won't decide upon rims until fall, and got a good price on the 4 year maintenance package.

I drove 3 hours to pick up the vehicle, (and 3-hours to get home).

Took 2-hours to go through paperwork and overview of the car. One part I didn't expect was the "dealer offered" add-ons with a little pushing; tire/wheel hazard warranty, 3M coating, special clearcoat/interior leather treatment combo, and high end radar detector to name a few.

What I wanted was a deal on the extended warranty, but need to come back after 90 days minimum to qualify. I'm not leasing, so wanted some protection from high cost service down the road.

250 miles and 36 hours after pick-up, I'm absolutely thrilled with the vehicle. It is stunning and sounds great.

You folks know all the positives from looks and sounds based on reading this forum.

I have no problems with steering wheel rattles, squealing brakes or sound system as some folks mentioned earlier.

With 20" wheels, I do get a little front wheel slippage on tight slow turns out of garage or driveway. I suspect this is normal and I need to get adjusted to the throttle.

I did learn that the sunroof needs to be closed when car is in alarm ... just kept going off with no one around, (windy day). I presume that was the root cause ... closed the roof and hasn't happened again.

I also learned the car is very low in front ... need to exercise caution when turning into steep driveways/grades, (pull in on angle versus straight in).

Less than 2-days in, my only negative is on the paint finish. The car finish has what looks like white chips / cracks that at first look like defects in the paint. I only noticed after washing the car upon returning home versus the dealer inspection. It is 3-5 spots on all panels and you can feel it with your finger nail, but it does not wash off or rub off. I notified dealer, and sent pictures before I try a clay bar, (which I would do anyway before I put a Zaino polymer system on the finish). I'm wondering if it is the white plastic wrap used for transport or something else since it was also on some of the windows. Nobody else has commented on this type of defect.

All in all, this was an excellent choice.

As an aside, It was a little embarrassing when I took my new Ghilbi to the Jag dealer to pick up my wife's Jag from routine service. It was a special showing today and of course it was one of the places my car alarm went off unexpectedly ... so all the folks there to see the new jag's lined up outside were now tuned to the new Maserati calling out "look at me" .

I have pictures ... I just need to re-size to meet forum requirements

Reactions: Wrecked Em and HQ1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congrats on the great selection :)

I also experienced the alarm going off when my sunroof was tilted up. Ever since, I started closing the sunroof completely, the alarm hasn't gone off.

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HQ1, I selected the 20" Urano's for the look and/or functionality ... my rationale below:

18" stock did not do the car justice in my opinion.

19" size would have been a excellent alternate for me with a couple of very nice finishes.

21" size looks great. I had a concern the 21" was pushing the limits of the stock Ghilbi suspension design and ride as the wheel gets wider and profile even lower.
When I put together the build sheet to search Ghilbi inventory, I listed 20" (and 21" as an option). The Maserati dealer also commented that if I wanted the 21", I should definitely drive one with those rims based on his experience and comments from new owners.

All in all, (250 miles worth), I'm very satisfied with the appearance ride and handling of the 20" wheels.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you hit the lock button within 5 seconds of locking the car it will turn off the motion sensor alarm. Awesome choice and how u got there enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you hit the lock button within 5 seconds of locking the car it will turn off the motion sensor alarm. Awesome choice and how u got there enjoy the ride.
Great tip, etodd - thanks for sharing. Is this listed in the owner's manual or just something you stumbled upon? It would nice to start a thread of tips and tricks new owners can share with each other and soon-to-be owners.

BeerGuy - sorry to hijack your thread. Thanks for your initial impressions - I can't wait to experience the thrill of my own Ghibli delivery. I went through the same deliberations when deciding on wheels and ultimately made the same choice (though painted instead of polished). Now get some pics up! :)

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I added a few pictures of the vehicle outside. The pictures are taken in shade, sunlight and fluorescent lighting to show how the Grigio Maratea metallescent appearance changes depending on lighting. I also think this color helps to accent the Ghilbi's lines.

I had a question on winter tires. Last picture is one of the Pirelli winter tires Maserati had on sale, (back tire shown), which I purchased for next season.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice pics! I agree - the Maratea really highlights the lines of the Ghibli. Mine will have the rosso interior...

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
essfive; Hijack anytime:). This forum is for all. Great idea on the tips. If you think about it, what is the real value of this relatively new forum?

1) Information and helping out prospective Ghilbi buyers.
2) A place for us proud new owners to share their Ghilbi story (all the positives and negatives) along with tips and tricks for the rest of us.
3) Hopefully, we don't need this 3rd part as much, but a place for us to share learning's and opportunities for improvement as the Ghilbi matures.
4) And ... I'm sure there are sponsors, vendors and dealers along the way to provide their insights and input.:)

enjoy the ride ...:cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Grigio Maratea with the metallescent paint is classy, (close 2nd was Nero Ribelle, but already have a Black Escalade).

Cuoio Interior with black headliner and open pore wood (carbon was first choice, but that was my sacrifice).

20" Urano Polished Wheels

Premium Package

Premium Sound System (which is OK)

Sport Package

Luxury Package

Cold Weather Package
did you copy my specs?? ;)

I have the exact twin and I love it! Congrats and enjoy!

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
schmarc - I certainly will enjoy!!! You too enjoy the twin!!!

Update on my original post, "my only negative is on the paint finish. The car finish has what looks like white chips / cracks that at first look like defects in the paint. I only noticed after washing the car upon returning home versus the dealer inspection. It is 3-5 spots on all panels and you can feel it with your finger nail, but it does not wash off or rub off." Never found out what it was for sure. Claybar removes the marks as did a mild Mother's Reflections polish ... so that will be my next project to claybar and apply the Zaino polymer system.:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Love the color and the calipers!

And thanks for the photo of it still wrapped up - I had not seen the Ghibli that way until your pic.

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
svelte ... Thanks. Finally had a nice sunny day today in PA so took the car to work. Lots of folks gathering around at lunch time admiring the car ... you rarely see any Maserati's around central PA.

I like the wrap job too ... kind of like unwrapping your Christmas present to yourself.:)

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm still sold (and VERY HAPPY) ... 700 mile observations

700 miles and some thoughts:

"INVESTMENTS AFTER THE SALE"

Interior/Exterior Protection - Positive: I got the Gtechniq professional signature package done right away (2 weeks old) to protect the vehicle. It definitely was worth the investment IMO ... OptiGaurd was my first choice but 90 miles away and Ken did an OUTSTANDING JOB. Really noticed how the water rolled right off during the washing. 7 year treated surface protection inside and out.

Winter/Summer Tires - It would have made a whole lot more sense to have a good all season tire for the 20" Urano's. I bought an extra set of 20" rims and Sotto 3's for the car. They are in Tire rack carry bags with felt inserts stacked in my garage. I paid $2800 for the extra winter set. Hindsight, I should have waited for some of the Ghibli 19" tire/wheel sets from those folks that have upgraded to specialty wheels or 20" or 21". Appears to be a number of these on the market at fair price, (less than 100 miles reported driven).

Bought "winter" mats to protect the velour mats. Didn't go all out for Weathertech ... but mine match and work fine.

Maserati Battery Tender - I really wanted to have this little add-on for the weeks I don't drive the car (bad weather or Int'l travel). Dealer installed the permanent version for $250. I could have bought the same Maserati branded tender for $150 at another dealer or the CTEK (Amazon or Ebay) without branding for $60-$80. The install looks simple once you see it installed.

OEM Ghibli Trunk Liner ordered. good deal at Maserati dealer ... not Maserati store. $49.99 + shipping.

OEM Ghibli indoor car cover for the dusty days, the weeks I travel and keep the car protected in the garage. A must have for certain times of the year ... $225 + shipping.

4-year maintenance plan - I overpaid. Next time I'll do a better job researching. $1995 versus $1625.

5-year Elite Tire & Wheel Package with unlimited replacements - what a polarizing subject! High pressure to buy (in my best interest) ... decided to cancel for full refund ... cancellation somehow never got processed ... I decided to maintain on the car after getting price quotes for replacement 20" Urano's ... OUCH!!!. I can still cancel at anytime on prorated scale. I Overpaid $2795 ... by around $150, (rounding error against the price of the car).

Extended warranty ... there is none "yet" for the 2014 Ghibli or QP. What will be available in months to come is the ability for Maserati certification $2400 to add 2 years and 50K miles. Only available on demos/loaners now. I planned to keep the car beyond the factory 4 year and would like add as a repair "hedge". I seem to be in the minority here as majority of sales seem to be leases. When I have time, I'll need to do the lease vs outright ownership depreciation calculation to see if leases are a smarter way to go the next time.

OBSERVATIONS

Pirelli Summer tires drive much better now that it has warmed up in Central PA.

Gas mileage: pretty well in the 12-14 mpg range around town (sport, auto, manual and/or ICE). Highway has settled into the 23-24 mpg range (Auto/ICE) ... didn't force the 8th gear.

Exhaust seems to have become a little louder now that car has been driven more.

Glad I got the sport package to go with 20" Urano's ... nice comfortable and firm ride. Never drove the Skyhook for a meaningful journey so I'll never know what I maybe missing.

Starting to appreciate the Cold Weather package. At first thought it was a marginal investment and really thought the rear window sunshade was over the top. I'm getting used to the sunshade now that there is more sun and heat. Also like the details around the wood insert in steering wheel.

Heated seats, steering wheel and cool air work Great!!!

Fortunate ... no rattles or vibrations yet.

Sound system has been beaten to death across this forum, but I just noticed the front dash speakers (Premium) seem to be a little more shrill and crackly then I recalled ... hoping this is not a turn for the worse.:(

Very slight air wind noise in drivers window ... noticeable at 70+ mph. This just started ... you would have thought warmer weather the foam would expand not contract. I'll monitor.:(

Alarm system ... still very sensitive and goes off occasionally (and more than I realize) even with windows and sunroof are closed. Notice when I get in car after work ... "remote start disabled". Also someone who parks next to me (one spot over) after closing her car door she sometime sets off my alarm. The alarm will stop sounding after two minutes. Guess I'll go back to the 3 presses of the alarm button in 5 seconds to deactivate the interior pressure sensors. I tried to replicate this myself and could not ... I even firmly pushed/kicked the tires and nothing when armed ... finally realized if the key is near the car it somehow does not set it off. I put the keys far away from car and tested in my garage ... of course it went off and the keys were far away to disarm.:(

Drivers back door handle sounds a little "plasticy/noisy" when opening ... not solid. Passenger side does not have this feeling/sound. Noticed during inspection ... told it was normal by service team ... hoped this would go away or break in ... but we will see.

Minor but ... maybe I'm not used to this transmission, but the car does occasionally down shift roughly from third - second- first in auto mode. reminds me of the older manuals. Especially when stopping on uphill grades or when cold.

Minor but ... Depending on road surface, trajectory and temperature, the AWD can get confused ... you can feel it kick in / transfer.

And watch those speed bumps and steep driveways!!! This car has a low front end (especially with 20" or greater). I tried to take a shortcut to get off the mainline pothole road and off course not knowing the area found myself on a residential road with speed bumps ... anything over 10 mph and it scrapped the front flaps.

Tips & Tricks ... this forum has a ton of them but spread over a lot of posts and categories. You just need to find them. Recent example was my navigation voice was so soft ... could barely hear over the exhaust. Did the search and wouldn't you know the tip was already on the site to use the volume knob when voice directions are active ... worked like a charm!!

All in All ... I'm Still Sold ... with a couple minor annoyances and 20-20 hindsight ... this car is truly exciting, exclusive and FANTASTIC TO DRIVE AND LOOK AT!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Great review. I'll be using this as my punch list when mine comes in and as a list of what to look for during break-in period. Thanks and see you in July!
Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts