Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been looking for the right Ghibli for about a year now; I finally found one about three weeks ago and she arrived via transport yesterday.

She's a 2014 SQ4 about 59k miles from Scottsdale, AZ. Whoever owned it previously I just want to say I appreciate you taking such good care of her. I went for a nice long spirited drive yesterday and really enjoyed driving her.

The cons: tires are loud but I'm used to this; I had an Audi A7 with the same Pilot sports and they are just loud tires. I'm curious what others are running on their 21" wheels.

Sound system is poor, but I knew that going into this purchase; I'll try to find a good stereo shop and install better speakers, maybe some dynamat in the doors and trunk. I don't want crazy bass or anything but I don't like the way it sounds there is no bass at all. I'm curious I read that some have had there stereo software/firmware updated by the dealer, did you just tell them to update it?

Pros:
She sounds amazing, runs strong, perfect interior, and it has nearly new brakes and rotors all around.

Extremely happy with the purchase and I'm going to enjoy driving her.

Happy to be here with you all.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
313 Posts
Congrats on your new Ghibli! You have the best OEM rims, the 21s make this car look great! Your best bet to improve the stereo is to go aftermarket for sure, I wouldn't bother with the dealer, they won't be any help. Sounds like you have the base audio package from 2014, which explains why it sucks (b/c it does). There's loads of posts here on what owners have done to upgrade.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Nice pictures .... car looks great!! The guard dog even matches!!!
If I didn't live in the Northeast I would have gotten the 21" forged Titano's setup myself. Your lucky your in a part of the country where the roads are good enough for 21".
I changed from OEM Pirelli to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires with better handling and smoother ride on my 20" Urano's

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice pictures .... car looks great!! The guard dog even matches!!!
If I didn't live in the Northeast I would have gotten the 21" forged Titano's setup myself. Your lucky your in a part of the country where the roads are good enough for 21".
I changed from OEM Pirelli to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires with better handling and smoother ride on my 20" Urano's
Thank you both Beerguy and ChiTownMaser! BTW - I called the dealer, you called it, they were absolutely no help. In fact they said that they have never heard of an entertainment software update. I'll have to find a local shop, but I want someone who is really good, and knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the tire info Beerguy - I'm running Pirelli on my SUV but they are an all season that I actually have enjoyed.

I'll start researching what others have done for their stereos.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Thank you both Beerguy and ChiTownMaser! BTW - I called the dealer, you called it, they were absolutely no help. In fact they said that they have never heard of an entertainment software update. I'll have to find a local shop, but I want someone who is really good, and knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the tire info Beerguy - I'm running Pirelli on my SUV but they are an all season that I actually have enjoyed.

I'll start researching what others have done for their stereos.

Cheers!
The firmware/soft software was to increase the bass db response from 6db to 10db. It made a huge improvement in my car, but not like replacing parts of the audio system.

My Maserati dealer recommended going the route of JL Audio which has parts for the Ghibli and discussed elsewhere in this forum. Speakers, subwoofer and new processor are nicely hidden in car ... I decided not to spend an extra $2+K for the upgrade.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The firmware/soft software was to increase the bass db response from 6db to 10db. It made a huge improvement in my car, but not like replacing parts of the audio system.

My Maserati dealer recommended going the route of JL Audio which has parts for the Ghibli and discussed elsewhere in this forum. Speakers, subwoofer and new processor are nicely hidden in car ... I decided not to spend an extra $2+K for the upgrade.
Am I correct in that there is no amplifier in the base audio system? How do I check to see if I have the base or the premium system?

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Am I correct in that there is no amplifier in the base audio system? How do I check to see if I have the base or the premium system?
See pictures below ... makes it super easy to tell.
And yes, the premium has additional speakers and 600w amplifier in the trunk.

Premium

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, heck that makes it worse because it really sucks! LOL I'll swing by the dealer and see if they will do the 10db amp adjustment. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your Ghibli purchase! Keep us posted on what you decide to do with your audio. I still have the base audio in my '14 and started buying some stuff to upgrade it a year or so ago and just stalled out with it...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do Krytech - I just realized thanks to BeerGuy that I think I have the Premium sound; never the less it still sounds like crap! Trying to get to the dealer next week; we'll see...

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
313 Posts
I previously had a 2015 with the same "premium" sound system and also got that same fix applied Beerguy referenced where they turn up the amp and yes it makes a big difference. Sound was still kind of muddy but at least you get some bass. What I had done is purchased a dragonfly red digital audio converter. I plugged my phone into the dragonfly via USB and then the dragonfly into the AUX and voila, the sound is very much enhanced for about $199. That was a nice cheap fix that worked well for me while I had that 2015.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ChiTown - I'll take a look at that setup. Could work for me because I don't listen to the radio or satellite; just stream pandora or whatever is on my phone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts