Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Maserati Ghibli S 2017
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched out my 19" OEM wheels and bought 20" OEM wheels. Im in the market for some tires, driving all takes place in Florida. Anyone have recommendations for the best place to buy tires? Anyone have experience with Nitto?

Thanks in advance,

Danny

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
I just switched out my 19" OEM wheels and bought 20" OEM wheels. Im in the market for some tires, driving all takes place in Florida. Anyone have recommendations for the best place to buy tires? Anyone have experience with Nitto?

Thanks in advance,

Danny
I just replaced my 20" Pirelli P-Zero's with Michelin PS4S ... must admit nice improvement in ride and handling. I'm sure a little bias with new versus older tires with less tread, but too my recollection was worth the money.

I bought mine through Costco since they had one of the best prices, plus on-going local support. I've also used Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct for tires with excellent customer service.

I can't speak directly to Nitto, but others have commented they were OK on their Ghibli ... not as good comfort or performance wise as the Michelin, Continentals or Pirelli's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The michelin ps 4s is overall the best all purpose performance tire with great life time and 300A thread wear rating. you cannot go wrong with this tire.

I had Nitto prob over decade ago. They were okey.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Milanojess, and everyone else, don't base your choice on the thread ware rating, this is individual to each manufacturer, and there is no baseline for this.
Ie.
A 300 at Michelin might be = to 240 Pirelli
In fact this number is only valid when comparing 2 tires of the same make.

This is very deceiving.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nothing close to Michelin Pilot Super Sport Max Performance Summer Tires. You WILL notice a difference.

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
18 Posts
I would highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. On my former Audi S6, I had a set to replace the original Pirelli P Zero tires, and it was a night and day difference.

The Michelin 4S was marketed as an upgrade to the former Pilot Super Sport and compared to the PZero, I had better grip, better wet weather performance, smoother ride, and also quieter. They are also one of the few high performance summer tires with a reasonable treadwear warranty (though it will be lower due to the staggered rear fitment).

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. On my former Audi S6, I had a set to replace the original Pirelli P Zero tires, and it was a night and day difference.

The Michelin 4S was marketed as an upgrade to the former Pilot Super Sport and compared to the PZero, I had better grip, better wet weather performance, smoother ride, and also quieter. They are also one of the few high performance summer tires with a reasonable treadwear warranty (though it will be lower due to the staggered rear fitment).
Good to know! Always thought the Summer Sport's were the highest end. Can't go wrong with any Michelin's.

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
Good to know! Always thought the Summer Sport's were the highest end. Can't go wrong with any Michelin's.
Pilot Sport 4S is a Michelin Max Performance Summer tire ... not recommended for winter/cold weather use.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Pilot Sport 4S is a Michelin Max Performance Summer tire ... not recommended for winter/cold weather use.
Understood. I looked them all up on tire rack. Super sports are a few bucks cheaper and I mean a few bucks. So based on the higher price of the 4S, these have to touted as superior.

When tire time comes for me, and I can’t wait to replace these Pirellis all season, I’m will put the 4S on. I won’t drive it in the winter or at least I won’t drive it in snow.

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
18 Posts
Understood. I looked them all up on tire rack. Super sports are a few bucks cheaper and I mean a few bucks. So based on the higher price of the 4S, these have to touted as superior.

When tire time comes for me, and I can’t wait to replace these Pirellis all season, I’m will put the 4S on. I won’t drive it in the winter or at least I won’t drive it in snow.
If you need an all-season tire, you may consider the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+. It’s a high performance all season tire that is very close to the performance of a summer tire, but can still handle the cold. I have used it in the past on a BMW. The grip was very close to what I experienced from a set of Pirelli P Zero tires.

The Pilot Sport 4S is definitely better, but the AS 3+ is still impressive for an all-season tire.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you need an all-season tire, you may consider the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+. It’s a high performance all season tire that is very close to the performance of a summer tire, but can still handle the cold. I have used it in the past on a BMW. The grip was very close to what I experienced from a set of Pirelli P Zero tires.

The Pilot Sport 4S is definitely better, but the AS 3+ is still impressive for an all-season tire.
Thanks. Yes I have the Pilot AS3’s on my BMW and this is my winter car. They are great tires. The Summer Michelin’s are just softer and really grip and ride so smooth. Tough to have summer performance tires in the Northeast. Technically you aren’t supposed to drive with summer tires in cold temps but I know plenty who do.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Thanks in advance,

Danny
I've been very happy with my Firehawk Indy 500 set I got from TireRack. Had them shipped to my local Firestone and bought a lifetime alignment to boot. More affordable than the OE Pirelli tires and just about as good and so much quieter. The grip is excellent on our dry hot roads (I live in AZ), can't talk about wet grip much since it doesn't rain often, but reviews say they're good on wet roads. But it's the wear is what has me sold. The OE Pirelli ties only lasted about a year with spirited driving, but I'm pushing almost two years on these and they still have some tread left. I'll probably buy another set when these need to go.

If cost is no option, I'd pick up the PS4S and not look back. But a full set of these Indy 500's were under $750 shipped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in the Northeast and usually try to avoid the whole summer tire winter tire swap so have always invested in good all seasons. I have been through many but went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my last car. In my opinion they were the best all season I have have ever purchased. I haven’t looked at sizes yet, figured I’d burn through the P Zeros first, but I assume they have sizes that fit our wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Maserati Ghibli S 2017
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the advice. I’m between the Michelin and the Nitto. Only reason I was leaning towards the Nitto was the promotion discount was running. $750 and they through in warranty for the life of the tire if I catch a nail or something and it can’t be fixed. Hard to beat that, I only drive the Ghibli 6 months a year as is so I don’t think it will matter as much but I’ll do a little more research. I appreciate all of you guys taking the time to add your input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I needed tires at 25000 miles and went on Costco’s website and Bridgestones were on sale. I replaced the Pirellis that came with the car with the Bridgestones and have loved the car even more. The tires are amazing and with the sale I believe all 4 were $875 installed. I have put 11000 miles on them since and they ride amazingly well. I live in Maryland and they have been great in snow, rain and heat!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Milanojess, and everyone else, don't base your choice on the thread ware rating, this is individual to each manufacturer, and there is no baseline for this.
Ie.
A 300 at Michelin might be = to 240 Pirelli
In fact this number is only valid when comparing 2 tires of the same make.

This is very deceiving.
Agree, the thread rating is relative. Although my experience was opposite of what you mentioned. At same rating, the Michelin last longer than Pirelli's. Either way, the PS4S at that performance level and with that thread wear rating, regardless if it's rated 240 or 300, is still phenomenal. Yet is quite okey in wet. The OP is in Florida where temperature doesn't drop too low, the PS4S should be a great all around "performance" tire choice. However, if the goal is for focused for a more all season, then the PS4S might not be the first choice.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
18 Posts
For those of you posting about using summer tires in the winter in "dry" (non-snow) weather -- very bad idea. They get hard and lose traction, both starting and stopping. A/S and winter tires are a different composition and grip better in cold weather. On run Hankooks on my Crossfires (summer cars only) and can feel the difference in the late fall on the unusually cold days.

That said, I had good luck with Pirellis on my A6 but even better luck with Contis on the same A6 and current A4. When the oem Pirellis go on the Ghibli, I will be looking at Contis but not sure if I will be able to mix and do not want to discard tires with half their treadlife remaining.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
290 Posts
pirelli's are the worst tires i've ever owned. I've blown at least 5, maybe 6 pirelli's on 2 ghibli's over 5 years. BRUTAL. I trust you guys when you say the Michellin's are the best, I've read that everywhere. I put continental all seasons on mine since it's a year round car and I find those pretty serviceable (and durable) just for the record.

Reactions: UNION73

·
Registered
404 Posts
pirelli's are the worst tires i've ever owned. I've blown at least 5, maybe 6 pirelli's on 2 ghibli's over 5 years. BRUTAL. I trust you guys when you say the Michellin's are the best, I've read that everywhere. I put continental all seasons on mine since it's a year round car and I find those pretty serviceable (and durable) just for the record.
I’d agree, not sure the worst I’ve owned, but certainly not worth the price they charge as being a premium brand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts