Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have been on this forum for about a month now. What I noticed is that there is not a lot of member participation. Not a lot of people give response/comment/feedback on threads. I posted 40 comments and started a few threads, but most of the threads has ZERO comments. Same with many other threads posted by others
I have been on BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche forums. There is a lot response, useful information, and help from members.

Is it the car/Maserati? or the type of people that drive the car? Feedback?
:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
gotta agree with you, i do wish more people participated, i really feel nothing beats the bmw forums, so much info on them.
i definitely dont think its the car, its gotta be the people. after having 5 bmws, im almost getting buyers remorse, no issues or probs on the bmw's.. the ghibili definitely has a bunch of annoying issues.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I disagree with both of you. This forum gets a lot of feedback and participation. I for one look at the posts every day and respond when appropriate.

There are a number of guys and gals who have gotten very friendly over the past few months and some of us living in the east coast of US, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut and even Virginia are getting together next weekend in New Hope, PA for a get together, lunch and a day with our families..:D

So your assumptions regarding the lack of participation, discussion of issues and even developing comraderie are well off base. I can attest to making nice acquaintances from around this great country and even from Europe;)

If you look at older posts, threads or discussions, add something to them and I am sure someone will respond.

I am a member of a couple forums, specialty professional and hobby and car and this is by far the most friendly and helpful. This particular forum is much better than the other Maseratilife forum...>:D

Steve

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
I concur with the original poster, yxc. Here is why.

This is my take on the subject. BMW, MB, Porsche are driven by a lot of people around the globe, the cars are everywhere. They are driven by everyone from CEOs down to high school kids. So the #s are much higher.

Furthermore BMW has tons of enthusiasts. These guys "love" to mod their cars, they enjoy working on their cars themselves, they share tons of information with each other and you can pretty much rebuild a BMW from A to Z and diagnose virtually any problem via google bc of the BMW enthusiasts! These guys hate the dealerships aka "stealerships" so they are always willing to help!

Maserati on the other hand sells 2000 cars per year in USA, 10000 globally. BMW prob sells more cars in a week then maserati sells all year lol.

The Maserati buyer typically is more affluent and has zero interest in doing anything besides driving the car. They would rather pay the dealer $1500 to change the brake pads versus doing it themselves in 15 minutes time (yes that's right since the car has brembo quick change calipers) and spending $100. There are very little enthusiasts and guys doing things themselves.

I myself have a BMW, Mercedes and Maserati. On both my BMW and MB I always do the repair and routine maintenance myself unless it's covered under a warranty. On the Maserati I plan on doing all the maintenance myself as well, sorry but to pay a dealer $1500 for pads is just plain crazy in my opinion, for calipers and rotors they want almost $3k, again this is all simple stuff and can be some in your driveway in 1 hour time and requires 1 wrench and a screwdriver! Same goes for oil, simple!

I believe you answered your own question though... Yes it's due to the typical Maserati driver. They buy the car and drive it, that's it. The typical Maserati driver has little or no understanding of mechanical related issues on the car. There are only a few who are willing to dismantle their maserati!

I had consider uploading some DIY guides on how to change oil, pads, rotors, brake bleads, air filter, cabin filter, etc. But the more I thought about it I realized it would prob be a waste of time since 99.9% of people wouldn't dare use them anyway and would still use dealer.

That's my take on the subject. It's neither good or bad, it's simply reality. I believe if you had a Lamborghini you would find you raked in a similar situation. I consider myself to be an enthusiast with all of my cars. I am a CPA and landlord by day. I am by no means a professional mechanic but I surely can fix most routine things myself. I truly enjoy working on my car and I get joy out of doing it myself and saving a ton of $ in the process. To me it's worth it, to others their time is more valuable and they prefer to let the pros do the work. There is no right or wrong way, simply a matter of preference.

Just don't expect too many serious issues to get answered bc many people simply don't know the answer and I can assure you no maserati mechanic is going to post up any answers since that's how they earn a living!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mrpa1999

I welcome you to post DIY information on our ghibli. I for one would change brake pads if I know how.

I propose you prepare a couple of short DIY handouts for the July 12th meet-up and hand them out when we all arrive. :D.

I'd love to have them to refer to on routine maintenance issues... I believe if you do not know your car, your second largest single purchased investment, you deserve to get ripped off $1,500 to replace what would cost you $100...I would appreciate you teaching us how to do some work on the car, changing filters, oil, etc. even for the .1%

Steve

·
Registered
278 Posts
gotta agree with you, i do wish more people participated, i really feel nothing beats the bmw forums, so much info on them.
i definitely dont think its the car, its gotta be the people. after having 5 bmws, im almost getting buyers remorse, no issues or probs on the bmw's.. the ghibili definitely has a bunch of annoying issues.
Hi All

I have been on this forum for about a month now. What I noticed is that there is not a lot of member participation. Not a lot of people give response/comment/feedback on threads. I posted 40 comments and started a few threads, but most of the threads has ZERO comments. Same with many other threads posted by others
I have been on BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche forums. There is a lot response, useful information, and help from members.

Is it the car/Maserati? or the type of people that drive the car? Feedback?
:confused:
Fact is that there are much more bwm, mercedes and porsche drivers, thats 1 statement.

The other thing is that much maserati owners are a bit older owns a family and some people have big career or much work so we don't sit the whole day on this forum. In my city I know 15guys from about 19years old driving a bwm and some still study, I know 1 guy (20) driving a porsche and doesnt even has a job they spend more time on internet than study'ing or working . There aren't maserati's in my city but my dealer said he has only 3 clients that are younger than me and i'm since monday 30 so... enough said I think.

If you have some patience you will have a useful and thoughtful answers on your questions.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
That's my take on the subject. It's neither good or bad, it's simply reality. I believe if you had a Lamborghini you would find you raked in a similar situation. I consider myself to be an enthusiast with all of my cars. I am a CPA and landlord by day. I am by no means a professional mechanic but I surely can fix most routine things myself. I truly enjoy working on my car and I get joy out of doing it myself and saving a ton of $ in the process. To me it's worth it, to others their time is more valuable and they prefer to let the pros do the work. There is no right or wrong way, simply a matter of preference.

Just don't expect too many serious issues to get answered bc many people simply don't know the answer and I can assure you no maserati mechanic is going to post up any answers since that's how they earn a living!
I think this comment sums it up.

Comes down to demographics and sheer numbers.

One other thing to consider is this forum is specific to a model that has only been on the market for a few months. Most people on here are either new owners or prospective owners. What is being commented on is often very new or unheard of as of yet. Once the car has been around for some time and more people are driving them you will see more participation. For us early adopters, this is just the way it is.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Given this forum is Ghibli specific and it's a new model with relatively small production numbers compared to BMW & MB I think we are getting a proportionate response rate.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Given this forum is Ghibli specific and it's a new model with relatively small production numbers compared to BMW & MB I think we are getting a proportionate response rate.

I agree with you guys and the response rate being appropriate for the relatively small numbers of Ghiblis. And as Steve said, it would be great to get info on maintenance issues in New Hope next week. But my immediate concern is, what are you insomniacs doing posting on this forum at 2 to 4 AM?

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Mrpa1999

I welcome you to post DIY information on our ghibli. I for one would change brake pads if I know how.

I propose you prepare a couple of short DIY handouts for the July 12th meet-up and hand them out when we all arrive. :D.

I'd love to have them to refer to on routine maintenance issues... I believe if you do not know your car, your second largest single purchased investment, you deserve to get ripped off $1,500 to replace what would cost you $100...I would appreciate you teaching us how to do some work on the car, changing filters, oil, etc. even for the .1%

Steve
In my opinion people are generally afraid of doing things themself bc it's intimidating to most people. And brakes people automatically think OMG I'm not touching that bc it's dangerous. That's all true to a degree! The most important tool needed to DIY is "common sense".

I personally love doing small stuff myself, not only do I save $, but it gives me a better appreciation for my car and at the end of the day you will feel a huge sense of satisfaction and love your car even more!

If I showed you how to change your brakes on the ghibli you would literally pass out and die realizing all the $ you spent over the years. Most cars are very simple but the ghibli is extremely simple due to the brembos being quick change. The only took you need is a simple straight screwdriver to push your piston back into place so u can create room to slide pad out. It's a 15 minute job, hardest part is removing your tire.

If you look at your caliper you will see a metal spring loaded cover which is held on by 2 pins. You pop pins out, remove metal cover and slide pads out, that's it. I will show you though. You don't need to remove anything and need zero tools!

·
Registered
312 Posts
But my immediate concern is, what are you insomniacs doing posting on this forum at 2 to 4 AM?
Can't sleep... The Ghibli dreaming keeps waking me up.
:laugh:

Reactions: Mangirek

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have a look at SportsMaserati if you want a Maserati forum that is very active and full of enthusiasts that work on their own cars.

I agree, this forum is active proportionate to the number of members and Ghibli owners.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's the law of numbers....there are probably millions of BMW users...(including me) and a few hundred maser users (including me). You have a better chance of being responded to in a mass market

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
I do think the size of this specific "Ghibli" member population plus many of us are still learning this Ghibli play into the responses or perceived lack of response.

There are also questions that are phrased in such a way that if you don't have an answer there is no comment.

On the other hand, the Ghibli is a drivers car and our weather here in North America is at its prime so most could be out in their cars or out washing and/or detailing our cars ... so less time to be on this forum.:laugh:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with everyone so far, it is sheer numbers and I don't mind it. The very reason why I went from a M3 to C63 and now the Ghibli is the unique nature of the car (head-turner), great handling for a 4 door, the sound and the rarity of it.

To be honest, I saw 3-4 in Seattle and 2 in Vancouver BC and already felt there were too many.

I also agree that the forum could have more activity. I used to check bimmerfest or benzworld to find solutions to problems (rattles, paint fixes, etc.), but the forum so far is dominated by car problem threads (which have been helpful as well).

As more purchases happen, more people will join and add to the discussion.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

This is my take on the subject. BMW, MB, Porsche are driven by a lot of people around the globe, the cars are everywhere. They are driven by everyone from CEOs down to high school kids. So the #s are much higher.

Furthermore BMW has tons of enthusiasts. These guys "love" to mod their cars, they enjoy working on their cars themselves, they share tons of information with each other and you can pretty much rebuild a BMW from A to Z and diagnose virtually any problem via google bc of the BMW enthusiasts! These guys hate the dealerships aka "stealerships" so they are always willing to help!

Maserati on the other hand sells 2000 cars per year in USA, 10000 globally. BMW prob sells more cars in a week then maserati sells all year lol.

The Maserati buyer typically is more affluent and has zero interest in doing anything besides driving the car. They would rather pay the dealer $1500 to change the brake pads versus doing it themselves in 15 minutes time (yes that's right since the car has brembo quick change calipers) and spending $100. There are very little enthusiasts and guys doing things themselves.

I myself have a BMW, Mercedes and Maserati. On both my BMW and MB I always do the repair and routine maintenance myself unless it's covered under a warranty. On the Maserati I plan on doing all the maintenance myself as well, sorry but to pay a dealer $1500 for pads is just plain crazy in my opinion, for calipers and rotors they want almost $3k, again this is all simple stuff and can be some in your driveway in 1 hour time and requires 1 wrench and a screwdriver! Same goes for oil, simple!

I believe you answered your own question though... Yes it's due to the typical Maserati driver. They buy the car and drive it, that's it. The typical Maserati driver has little or no understanding of mechanical related issues on the car. There are only a few who are willing to dismantle their maserati!

I had consider uploading some DIY guides on how to change oil, pads, rotors, brake bleads, air filter, cabin filter, etc. But the more I thought about it I realized it would prob be a waste of time since 99.9% of people wouldn't dare use them anyway and would still use dealer.

Please DO post those DIY threads! Would love to learn more about the car

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is a nice participation from everyone. I agree with what everyone is saying. I think it is the topic/subject of the thread, too.

On the threads I posted, I do see many "VIEWS", but no one commented.
:crying:

·
Registered
159 Posts
These modern cars are much harder to DIY due to the ECUs. I do spend a lot of time detailing my car though. The most adventurous I've gotten is installing my own audio system and front/rear cameras.

Would be a dream to have my own garage large enough with a hydraulic platform and an arsenal of tools! Sadly, I don't think I'll have the space to achieve this in central London.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I actually would like the DIY info as well. One of the things that scares me the most about owning this car and previous luxury/exotic cars is the day the brake pad light goes on. The cost of pads and rotors is insane. I would love to learn to replace them myself, but I'm scared. If it really is not that difficult, I will give it a try.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree. My previous quattroporte was easy to maintain thanks to the DIY posts in the maseratilife forum. I also know that formuladynamics along with other are planning to sell parts and equipment for maintenance. Obviously for the first 4 years I would only recommend to replace pads since we will loose the factory warranty if we change the oil for instance, but for the future a DIY file would be great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts