Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, had just washed the car and started up to move a bit forward. After doing that put in park and tried to rev. Car would not rev over 3100. Same in neutral. Haven't taken on the road yet. Any thoughts. 2018 Ghible diesel only 11k miles.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Titleist, it is normal, it is a safety limit in the ECU, not allowing you to rev the engine in neutral or park.
Don't worry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's for your response appreciated. What's an ECU? I have also had a drop of about 250 rev's at idle, from 1000 to 750. Any thoughts on that please?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
523 Posts
1000 revs it's when it's cold Like a choke on old petrol cars = normal
750 revs normal warm idling speed
ECU is the computer which deals with the fuel injection in layman's terms Electronic Control Unit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you again Fred. Could I ask you a couple if new questions? Can uou reset the service indicator manually? I have bought one of those little diagnostic gizmos. Where does it plug in, on the Ghibli.
Oh one last thing, when I turn on full lock i get a terrible sound as if the tyre was trying to come off the rim. Soneone told me this was ok Would you concur. I have to use full lock every time I back out of my drive. Many thanks again, seriously appreciate your advice. Gil.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Titleist,
No you cannot reset the oil service manually, like you can on some cars with pressing diverse buttons on the dash. You need a special diagnostic tool, if you search on this forum, you will see some guys have found some on Amazon for a few 100's$, personally I have a Launch431 and it works perfectly, however I have to use the petrol Ghibli reset function, but it works fine.

For your tyre noise, it is normal it is due to the front axle geometry and fat tyres, it is worse with some tyres ie Pirelli's, I have Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, it still does it but less, I also have snow tyres on 19" they barely do it.
The noise is louder when the temperatures are low.

Little advice, when you have to redo the tracking, don't use the original values, give 5' per wheel in POSITIVE, wheels pointing together, as standard the tracking is NEGATIVE, wheels opening at the front, this wears the inside of the tyres drastically. By putting them positive, you reduce the inside wear, a bit, they still use tyres on the inside.
The rest of the values, camber etc... are kept as original. Only change the tracking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you again Fred. In my part of the UK Maserati's are very rare, nice in one respect but no one to bounce my questions off. The info on the tyre noise is very reassuring. I have ordered a " JDiag obd2 " from Amazon only £28 all I need to do is learn how to use it😣 If this won't do the trick I can get some thing for about £60. There's a ton of gizmos on eBay but many are Chinese copies and done seem to get decent write ups. Wish me luck. I understand the gizmo plugs in under the glove compartment, that sound good to you?
As always thanks and appreciation. Gil.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Gil, I had a look at the tool you purchased, I hope it does the oil reset, but I would tend to think it does not. There is one mentioned on the forum somewhere something like X200 if I remember well, with the search tool of the forum you will find it.
These tools are pretty simple o use, quite intuitive.
Don't hesitate to ask me questions, either directly on the forum or in PM. (via my profile) I'll be more than happy to help.

·
Administrator
2,411 Posts
OBDSTAR X200 PRO is what the folks on the forum are using for 2014-2018 model year Ghibli and QP's. I'm not sure if it works on Diesel versions. The manufacturer made a comment for "petrol" engines.
Yours is a 2018, but starting in 2019, Maserati put in a gateway module that won't let non factory scan tools do anything except pull codes. The Maserati service tech needs to put in his user ID and password to clear / reset codes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Beerguy, crumms this is bad news this story about having to enter a code to clear the service spanner.
I use a Launch X431 to clear my Diesel device light, mine is a 2017 model, but I use the petrol service reset function on it to reset and it works perfectly.
I'll enquire with the service tech next time I see him, to see if it US specific or Europe too.
Thanks for the info anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is certainly annoying not that I understand much of it. I would have thought the laws of most western countries would prohibit this sort of thing. It would I think come under the monopoly regulations. Something for me to investigate. Thanks again to all for advice and guidance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts