Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum, and it's going to have to be a WTF is this noise thread, lol. I love my car, but this is kind of driving me insane. At low RPM, 1K to 2K, my car makes this noise that sounds like it's coming from the instrument cluster, and it kind of sounds like a cicada rubbing its wings together. It's not super loud, but loud enough to get old fast. It seems to randomly vary in volume. I took it to the dealer and they said it's the high pressure fuel injectors, but I highly doubt that, as the loudness variation and the fact that the noise seems to stutter from time to time tell me it's a rattle from inside the cluster, or perhaps even in the engine bay. Has anyone else heard this weird noise on their cars? Mine is a '15 SQ4. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My car (2018 SQ4) came with that noise -- brand new. Dealer changed one turbocharger, noise still present.

Car has less than 1,000 miles on it at the moment, dealer says to "drive it more" and see if it goes away.
Currently it's in winter storage, will see what happens in the spring.

It's a turbocharger wastegate rattle. The way you described it is exactly how mine sounds.
Like a electrical buzzing sound / old hardddrive spinning / cicada wings.

Now try to open the windows, and go to an enclosed parking garage. The noise should sound scary (very loud).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car (2018 SQ4) came with that noise -- brand new. Dealer changed one turbocharger, noise still present.

Car has less than 1,000 miles on it at the moment, dealer says to "drive it more" and see if it goes away.
Currently it's in winter storage, will see what happens in the spring.

It's a turbocharger wastegate rattle. The way you described it is exactly how mine sounds.
Like a electrical buzzing sound / old hardddrive spinning / cicada wings.

Now try to open the windows, and go to an enclosed parking garage. The noise should sound scary (very loud).
I've got an appointment next week to get those waste-gate clips put on. Hopefully that will stop that noise. It's also been stuttering a bit when accelerating from moderate throttle. Really annoying.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same noise in my '14 SQ4. Pretty annoying, but I guess it is harmless?
I just pump up the volume and listen to the music - then the noise is not present, you know what I mean.

Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same noise in my '14 SQ4. Pretty annoying, but I guess it is harmless?
I just pump up the volume and listen to the music - then the noise is not present, you know what I mean.

Peter
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum, and it's going to have to be a WTF is this noise thread, lol. I love my car, but this is kind of driving me insane. At low RPM, 1K to 2K, my car makes this noise that sounds like it's coming from the instrument cluster, and it kind of sounds like a cicada rubbing its wings together. It's not super loud, but loud enough to get old fast. It seems to randomly vary in volume. I took it to the dealer and they said it's the high pressure fuel injectors, but I highly doubt that, as the loudness variation and the fact that the noise seems to stutter from time to time tell me it's a rattle from inside the cluster, or perhaps even in the engine bay. Has anyone else heard this weird noise on their cars? Mine is a '15 SQ4. Thanks guys!
I just bought a used 2014 Ghibli Q4 and it makes the exacted sound and at the RPM stated above . Had a mechanic say it was the differential. Any solution to the noise??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts