Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this was put up recently:

Compare Side-by-Side

So the fuel economy is 15/25mpg, 18mpg combined. It runs on premium - of course, given the turbo and high output. This is for the S Q4, I couldn't find numbers for the base Ghibli.

It's also classified as a mid-size, due mainly to the small cargo volume of only 10 cubic feet. This may be an error as other sites indicate the cargo capacity is about 17.7 cubic feet, which would put the car squarely in the large category.

The Ghibli is only 2.4 inches longer than an Accord, but has more passenger space than the longer 2014 Impala. It is a *wide* car, it's only 2.6 inches narrower than an Odyssey and the same wheelbase.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it is a much more powerful engine. The base Ghibli would have power more in line with the 535, and better fuel economy than the S Q4

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not sure what the MPG for the base Ghibli is yet, but the S Q4 almost certainly will get hit with a $2600 gas guzzler tax.

Edit: I spoke too soon. The answer is: maybe not. Apparently, the gas guzzler tax is not calculated based on the window sticker combined MPG, but on the unadjusted combined MPG rating, which is higher. For example, the 2013 Quattroporte is subject to the gas guzzler tax, it has a window sticker combined MPG of 14, but an unadjusted combined MPG of 17.9MPG, almost 4MPG higher. The S Q4 Ghibli has a window sticker combined MPG of 18 according to best available current information, and the government website above seem to indicate that it is not subject to Gas Guzzler tax as it says "No" on the "Gas Guzzler" line. This same line is "Yes" for the Quattroporte. So perhaps the unadjusted combined MPG for the S Q4 Ghibli is higher than 22.5MPG, which is the cut-off point for the tax. However, the true authority on the subject is the EPA publication that will list all cars subject to the gas guzzler tax, as well as the official combined MPG that will be used to calculate the tax liability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts