Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start by saying I still absolutely love my new S Q4. If I had to make the decision again, I would still absolutely buy this car.

That said, I am officially frustrated. I've had all of the typical issues everyone else on the blog has had i.e. (poor premium sound quality (need for sub insulation), need to replace satelite antenna due to terrible reception.

Additionally, I've had an annoying rattle around the steering column that comes about under early acceleration (approx 1,500-2,500 rpm). This wasn't a major concern considering 2 separate dealers (Palm Beach & Fort Lauderdale), neither of whom I purchased my car from, warned me about it during test drives and said it was completely normal on the Q4's they drove. Both dealers agreed this is a common issue, so I was prepared for it before taking delivery. Apparently it's something about the turbos engaging??? Both reached out to Maserati NA about the rattle and apparently were told Maserati is aware of it but will not be "redesigning the car", so basically deal with it! Again, not the end of the world, but another annoyance for a 3 week old, relatively expensive car.

My frustration (which I chalked up to typical Maserati quirks to this point) came to a head earlier today when my check engine light came on. I went to accelerate getting onto a highway ramp and felt a massive hesitation from the car (the normal roar sounded almost wounded), and the check engine light came on. I immediately drove the car to my local Maserati service department (luckily only a couple of miles away), and they ran a diagnostic test that said a cylinder misfired?! I know next to nothing about cars, but this seems strange for a 3 week old $95k car. I wasn't able to get a full service appointment until next thursday (a 6 day wait to add insult to injury), but they reset the light and the tech told me it was fine to drive the car. He blamed bad fuel as the likely cause (I absolutely have only put in 93+ super on EVERY fill up). That said, the service manager did not seem convinced that was the issue, leaving me a bit uneasy. I know sensors tend to come on all the time for non issues on many cars these days, but it was the drastic hesitation I felt from the car that has me concerned.

I apologize for the rambling, but I wanted to share this with you guys to see if you've encountered anything similar. I don't post on here often, but I check in on the blog multiple times a day and value any input. Again, still love this car, but coming from MB, Audi and Porsche I'm a bit disappointed. I prepared myself for the "usual" Maserati quirks, but for god sakes, my range rover sport seems bullet proof compared to my Ghibli at this point! Again, sorry for the ramble. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The steering column rattle would bother me a lot. Most S Q4's don't have the problem, thus it's not something inherent in the design and can be fixed. I recommend contacting your dealer and demand they fix it -- it's not "normal", they can't use that excuse. If they refuse, take it up directly with Maserati. Report the dealer to the BBB. Make life a little less pleasant for them until they fold.

My only hesitation with this approach, however, is everything about the Ghibli is new. The technicians aren't experienced with it and Maserati hasn't worked out standard procedures for such glitches. In any case I still recommend penetrating the "normal" line of defense and have them at least try and diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
277 Posts
misfiring is not normal by any circumstance.

if you don't get a resolution take it up with maserati.
if that doesnt work report dealer to BBB like rsm has mentioned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
wow thats a bummer. Sorry to hear that. That dealer should of taken your car in PRONTO! thats ridiculous. They really didn't have any choice in the matter I would of handed them the keys, called my wife and gotten picked up and then called Maserati Corporate and unloaded.

As far as that rattle goes, I had the same experience. So I test drove three different ones and they all had it. Dealer told me the same thing... something about the turbos. So I just took it at face value and decided to accept the car this way. I still hear it from time to time but that awful "premium stereo" drowns out the noise for me.. lol... I think it effects all the Ghiblis, just a matter of listening closely. Some people may not identify it right away or at all I guess for me the explanation seemed plausible and that allowed me to essentially forget about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MGE, glad to know I wasn't just hearing an imaginary rattle! lol Like you said, it's really not bad or any sort of a big issue.

Quick update on the cylinder misfire (which feels like a much bigger issue). I ran my gas tank to nearly empty, then filled up at my usual station (I filled up at a different station prior to the misfire). So far, it seems to be running normal again....no hesitations and the growl is back. Fingers crossed, maybe the tech was right and it was just poor gas quality. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Moose22 do you easily find Octane 93? The standard around me is 91 octane and I am finding 93 really challenging to find, and I live in supercar central.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah thats all I'm finding here in So. Florida.... So I've just been filling up with 91, but I believe the manual calls for 93. I hadn't really thought much about it until I just saw Moose22's post about only using 93 that I am now slightly concerned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
really seems unreasonable, probably cost a lot more as well.... I guess its just another one of those fun Maserati "quirks"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in Palm Beach County (Southern Fla.). I haven't had a problem finding several stations with 93. I've also heard select Sunoco's in So. Fla carry 100+ octane. Haven't been able to track any of those down yet though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here in NZ, we have 91, 95 and 98. I would never use 91 in my Maserati. You can really feel the difference in performance and pick up when using 98, it's 12-15 cents more expensive a litre though!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually it turns out the manual calls for 95! Just confirmed that...I thought it was 93 which is findable and already costs about $.30 a gallon more (Not sure about litres) than standard 91 super. I can only imagine how much 95 would be. I really don't feel like driving around town searching for the one or two stations that carry 95 and then paying $120 to fill up my tank... this is a big problem for Maserati if its a real requirement to use 95. I think that would be a deal killer for most prospective North American buyers and would totally eliminate them from the bmw audi mb market they are trying to penetrate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
RON+MON :2=AKI
In Europe it's Only RON. As the Ghibli is a Ferrari engine never use low octane. In Europe it's minimum 95 for the V6 Ghibli but I use only 98 or 100.
In the USA/Canada you have mostly AKI. So RON 95 is AKI 91 and RON 98 is AKI 93/94

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks Luciano.. that makes sense. US gas must be AKI. 91 octane is very standard at most pumps. i couldn't imagine them looking to sell tons of these cars with such a pricey restrictive requirement. But that conversion of RON 95 = AKI 91 makes perfect sense

·
Registered
324 Posts
Simple google search:
United States: in the US octane rating is displayed in AKI. In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fuel[citation needed]. The reason for this is that in higher-elevation areas, a typical naturally aspirated engine draws in less air mass per cycle because of the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to less fuel and reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill a carbureted car that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. A disadvantage to this strategy is that most turbocharged vehicles are unable to produce full power, even when using the "premium" 91 AKI fuel. In some east coast states, up to 94 AKI (98 RON) is available.[33] As of January, 2011, over 40 states and a total of over 2500 stations offer ethanol-based E-85 fuel with 105 AKI.[34] Often, filling stations near US racing tracks will offer higher octane levels such as 100 AK

·
Registered
852 Posts
just read the owners manual......no additives in addition to proper gas used. Needed but they recommend you use gas with additives such as detergents etc. However, they suggest not to use fuel with MMT. How do you determine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me start by saying I still absolutely love my new S Q4. If I had to make the decision again, I would still absolutely buy this car.

That said, I am officially frustrated. I've had all of the typical issues everyone else on the blog has had i.e. (poor premium sound quality (need for sub insulation), need to replace satelite antenna due to terrible reception.

Additionally, I've had an annoying rattle around the steering column that comes about under early acceleration (approx 1,500-2,500 rpm). This wasn't a major concern considering 2 separate dealers (Palm Beach & Fort Lauderdale), neither of whom I purchased my car from, warned me about it during test drives and said it was completely normal on the Q4's they drove. Both dealers agreed this is a common issue, so I was prepared for it before taking delivery. Apparently it's something about the turbos engaging??? Both reached out to Maserati NA about the rattle and apparently were told Maserati is aware of it but will not be "redesigning the car", so basically deal with it! Again, not the end of the world, but another annoyance for a 3 week old, relatively expensive car.

My frustration (which I chalked up to typical Maserati quirks to this point) came to a head earlier today when my check engine light came on. I went to accelerate getting onto a highway ramp and felt a massive hesitation from the car (the normal roar sounded almost wounded), and the check engine light came on. I immediately drove the car to my local Maserati service department (luckily only a couple of miles away), and they ran a diagnostic test that said a cylinder misfired?! I know next to nothing about cars, but this seems strange for a 3 week old $95k car. I wasn't able to get a full service appointment until next thursday (a 6 day wait to add insult to injury), but they reset the light and the tech told me it was fine to drive the car. He blamed bad fuel as the likely cause (I absolutely have only put in 93+ super on EVERY fill up). That said, the service manager did not seem convinced that was the issue, leaving me a bit uneasy. I know sensors tend to come on all the time for non issues on many cars these days, but it was the drastic hesitation I felt from the car that has me concerned.

I apologize for the rambling, but I wanted to share this with you guys to see if you've encountered anything similar. I don't post on here often, but I check in on the blog multiple times a day and value any input. Again, still love this car, but coming from MB, Audi and Porsche I'm a bit disappointed. I prepared myself for the "usual" Maserati quirks, but for god sakes, my range rover sport seems bullet proof compared to my Ghibli at this point! Again, sorry for the ramble. Thanks guys.
Hi moose 22,

My Q4 S had the same happening after 1 week. the Greensboro, NC dealership did diagnosis and said it was a misfired cylinder and I had nothing to worry about since the check engine light was yellow and not blinking, nor red. They reset it and I have not seen it happening again for 7 weeks... kinda of wieerd, but really no issue (perhaps just a over-zelos computer :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts