Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed some oil additives from liqui moly in particular the new cera tec and the hydraulic lifter additive

its my understanding that cera tec is the new anti friction additive for newer style engines and the hydraulic lifter additive is for dampening the sound of the lifters and reduce the tapping noise we all (most of us) hear.

now i called the liqui moly usa technical support line and was told they can even be used together and that they should be no more than 12% of the oil thats in the engine. (he said to aim for 12% and to just do the math but not go over) i also asked about the 2 cars i was wanting to use these with one is my Mercedes and the other my ghibli and he said there would be no problem mixing this with their 5w30 (for mercedes) or their 10w60 (for my ghibli)

anyway so i went to mercedes to get the oil filter and they told me they cant tell me to use them and they cant tell me not to just that many people have benefits using them and some dont and to just stay away from royal purple. Next i went to maserati to get the oil filter and they told me NEVER to use any oil additives in these engines and that its the official recommendation. That liqui moly was fine as an oil as long as i use the recommended 10w60 but not to use any additives.

Now for my question, have any of you used or still use any oil additives in these engines? Which ones? and please also add the oil you run as i understand the recommendation changed from 2018 and on so id just like to know if anyone is adding to the 10w60.

i also would like to add that when i bring my car to change the oil at a bmw shop they usually use an oem filter, liqui moly 10w60 and also a bottle of rev X additive which i dont really know about.

·
Registered
2016 Ghibli, 2019 VW Golf GTI
108 Posts
I'm sure the oil makers, especially top end ones like liqui molly, have fine tuned they're synthetic oils for maximum protection for high performance vehicles. You would be aware Maserati strictly advise certain oil brands & specs. My personal understanding of certain additives is to give some benefits to ageing & worn engines but additives aren't necessary for a healthy engine...but those are my thoughts.

Lifter noise isn't (usually) a problem in the 3lt V6 engine. Certainly the 'fuel injection' system is obvious when the bonnet is lifted, so oil choice/additive won't silence this 'ticking' sound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure the oil makers, especially top end ones like liqui molly, have fine tuned they're synthetic oils for maximum protection for high performance vehicles. You would be aware Maserati strictly advise certain oil brands & specs. My personal understanding of certain additives is to give some benefits to ageing & worn engines but additives aren't necessary for a healthy engine...but those are my thoughts.

Lifter noise isn't (usually) a problem in the 3lt V6 engine. Certainly the 'fuel injection' system is obvious when the bonnet is lifted, so oil choice/additive won't silence this 'ticking' sound.
I figured as much but liqui molly themselves said i could mix in 12% of the total oils volume with cera tec and that they recommend it so i thought id give it a try. But yeah i guess I’ll play it safe and keep it just the oil.

The ticking is not in a certain rhythm and I didn’t think it would be the injectors. the closests i could describe it is a fan blade slowly being stuck and unstuck

·
Registered
'17 SQ4
38 Posts
There's a couple of posts on there about oil and oil weight. If you're just daily driving the car, IMO 60 weight is VERY heavy and in the winter months...depending on where you live, may not be the best choice.

Don't take my word on it, do you're own research but I'm not running 10w60, not even in the summer (Canada).

PS Are you sure the ticking is the Direct Injection injectors? They can be pretty loud. My BWM sounds like a farm tractor for the first minute or so, it's a '13 with 120K.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a couple of posts on there about oil and oil weight. If you're just daily driving the car, IMO 60 weight is VERY heavy and in the winter months...depending on where you live, may not be the best choice.

Don't take my word on it, do you're own research but I'm not running 10w60, not even in the summer (Canada).

PS Are you sure the ticking is the Direct Injection injectors? They can be pretty loud. My BWM sounds like a farm tractor for the first minute or so, it's a '13 with 120K.
I live in socal so the lowest it ever really gets is in the 40s ever but even when its 80 outside i like to let it idle until the exhaust closes and then stay under 3000rpm until the temp is in the middle. I do take it to big bear during the winter months and it gets pretty cold like below freezing but even then still i feel just letting it idle warm is fine oil doesn’t freeze. I saw this post a while ago anf looked up the charts associated with it and im very comfortable just going with the science/engineering view if it that it’s completely safe. Id also point out i drive like a complete lunatic most of the time and usually crank it up atleast 5psi above stock So im almost sure i need the extra protection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts