Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I was recently on a road trip with a friend when we started talking about my 2014 Ghibli SQ4.(we were traveling in my F-150 for this trip)
During the small talk that goes on with a long trip, I mentioned that I will be needing a oil change soon as my year was coming up but still had almost 5000 mi. left on the oil life... He posed a question: why? well, this started a debate about whether the car REALLY needs to be changed once a year regardless of mileage. when I replied; 'that's Maserati's recommendation, & what I've seen online, nobody seems to question it' He replied: 'but why?... oil doesn't go bad like wine' to which I didn't have an answer... By the time we ended the debate, he almost had me convinced to his way of thinking...
So, I put it to all you Ghibli owners: do you REALLY need to change your oil annually regardless of how much you drive it in a year? I'm very curious to see what everybody says.
As for my Ghibli, I will probably get the change either way, but I'm wondering if any of you disregard the rule & change when needed? Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
I faithfully follow the 12 month or mileage rule, but in reality I'm putting less than 3000 miles per year on car driving almost daily in summer. If the oil was in a can than it's a different story. Oil starts to break down from heat, moisture and other contaminants. These will make the oil potentially thicker and/or more sticky ... which is not a good thing for our generation of oil pumps. One of the causes of seized engines.
So IMO the oil change money is well worth the cost to keep the engine running in best shape.

The flip side, I have a newer SUV that recommends 6000 miles or 6-months ... here I wait for the one year since I do around 5000 miles per year and use synthetic oil.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll bite. No. No harm done, but not measureably helping either and it unnecessarily dumps more oil waste into the recycling chain. Quality oil these days does not suddenly go bad in 12 months of low mileage, moderate use in a vehicle. I have maintained dozens of cars and motorcycles, some owned for 20+/- years and one is a '75. Mileage-related oil changes only, though many people on average will meet a mileage point at/by around a year. In May, I reset the service light on my Ghibli after a year as I'd only driven it 1200mi. By next May, under similar use conditions, it will likely be due and I'll change the oil and filter then. Individual hard use, towing, heat cycle patterns, etc, vary, but as a flat rule under normal use, no.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
130 Posts
Interesting conversation. I ride a 77 Goldwing about 1500 miles a summer and generally change the oil annually, since it is a cheap investment in keeping the guts clean. My Crossfires are driven about 2-3k per summer and I change the (8 qts) every other year - they take full syn 0W-40. The dealer had my Mas on the lot for two years and changed the oil annually. I drove it 11k the first year and changed it at the dealer (I needed a headrest replaced under warranty). I will probably have 20-22k by my second year and will have it changed again. The dealer charges $400; my indie charges $200; and how much is a new engine again?? IMHO, if I only drove it 2-3k/year I would probably stretch out the interval to 18 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To add further confusion. I have a MY16 delivered new in Australia & the service books have a 2 year service requirement. These are the Maserati documents that came with the car through the Melbourne Maserati dealer. So it's 2 years or 20,000 kms, which ever comes first. I never make the milage but have it serviced as recommended, so every 2 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts