Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of reading should we be seeing for oil pressure at idle? obviously the pressure goes up when you give the car some throttle.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think mine usually sits right around half that gauge once the engine is warm. When it's cold and it's idling it'll be maxed out until the oil is to temp.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It maxes out at cold start until operating temp and then should sit around middle, sometimes a bit below. The oil pressure sensor is behind the intake manifold and when they go bad you’ll notice an oil pressure light and the sensor will either not read or when you give it gas the oil pressure will go down. Super common problem, I have 10 new in box sensors in my basement. Used to pay 3.45 hours at the dealer, guess how many we did on a weekly basis on 14-16 ghiblis lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info. I feel like i always noticed the pressure right in the middle at idle. I noticed today that it was a bit lower than the mark before the half way point. Oil change was done maybe 1,000 miles or so. Ill have to check the oil level. John, Im guessing you have replaced a ton of these sensors.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good info. I feel like i always noticed the pressure right in the middle at idle. I noticed today that it was a bit lower than the mark before the half way point. Oil change was done maybe 1,000 miles or so. Ill have to check the oil level. John, Im guessing you have replaced a ton of these sensors.
1,000 miles? I did an oil change on your car when I did that massive repair with the fuel injectors. Did you do another oil change or do you just not drive a lot? Hahaha. Usually you’ll get an engine oil level light if the oil was low but these engines eat oil when driven hard so it’s always good to check. And yeah, I averaged 8-10 per week. When the oil isn’t changed often enough it gums up the sensors.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahah John, the car sits in a garage all week and only is driven on weekends. Maybe its a bit more then 1,000 but not that much more. I drive that thing pretty easy for the most part as well. 5w40 Euro blend.. Pennzoil, Quakerstate or Shell helix if i have to top it off?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It has penzoil euro blend in it right now. Look through your invoice, I’m pretty sure I might’ve thrown in an oil pressure sensor and a purge valve to get some extra hours.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Negative as per the invoice. Ill check oil level when i get car this weekend. The pressure doesn't seem like it is dangerously low but ill have to keep my eye on it.

·
Administrator
2,474 Posts
Hello! Reviving this thread- is this too low?
Thanks
Does it stay that low?
It should be pinned on cold start and gradually sit around mid point. Mine might drop that low when warm sitting at idle but as soon as I start driving it will normally close to the middle.
Does it hold around half way when you drive?
If it's consistently low some of the early models had failed or inaccurate pressure sensors as mentioned earlier in this thread. Really low all the time could be sign of a bad oil pump.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@BeerGuy , I appreciate the reply. Oh, it only stays there at idle. Pressure goes all the way to high on acceleration.
I just thought even at idle it should be at half?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,474 Posts
@BeerGuy , I appreciate the reply. Oh, it only stays there at idle. Pressure goes all the way to high on acceleration.
Thanks!
It is normal to be lower at idle when fully warm. Max on acceleration or stay around +/- midway at 1500-1750 rpms.

Reactions: Slacker

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks!
l I am having the same situation. The car threw a P304b code. Did you figure out what caused your problem?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts