Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I’m finally in the market for a 2014-2016 S Q4, are there any options you wish you had with your Ghibli? I’m not worried about the sound package, or velour leather, but I feel like the paddles and sport suspension, along with the premium package are almost a must. What do you think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
if your shopping for a used one, get one that is loaded. Yes the paddles and premium package are a must but I don't think I would like my car as much if it didn't have carbon fiber, red leather seats and the alcantara headliner. I have a 15 SQ4 and have been given a 2019 SQ4 base a couple of times as a loaner. Only thing I liked better on the loaner was the electric steering and the updated radio/nav system. I'm always happy to turn in the loaner and get back into my car. I think the 15's may even sound better.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well, I am taking delivery Friday and it has premium sound. I am guessing I am going to be wishing it had the B&W system based on the research I have done here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looking at this in general, what can you live with, what can you live without? Being honest, what can you notice or tell the difference and what is a true feature vs name/bling only? What can you modify or add later and what are you 'stuck' with? And how handy are you to perform work yourself vs paying dealer parts costs and shop rates for installation?

Fortunately these are individual considerations and not universal. I am extremely happy with my base '15 Ghibli after 9 months and don't miss any potential option (fwiw, last car was a Jaguar - not the sportiest range of vehicles - but I very much appreciate high performance from decades of track days on sportbikes...). My priorities when looking were fairly practical - exterior and interior color, larger wheels, as new as possible with as low miles as possible (duh). The latter two being a hedge on reliability (3 years old and 14K miles - I think I nailed it). This is after expecting/counting on a base level of performance baked into it already, as well as the universal appeal of the design. I looked until I had several examples of what I wanted and then began comparing variable factors, then fairly quickly arrived at a purchase price and a decision. After purchase, and for very reasonable cost, I added what I wanted - paddle shifters, a spoiler, reverse parking indicators and some minor trim mods. Chip tuning, brakes and suspension can be easliy changed down the road and are on my 'potential' list, but in no way regrets. I don't miss or want better audio, forward sensors or camera, driver assist, etc, but was a little surprised that any models were sold without the reversing sensors. Anyway, a few bucks and a drill and done.

You'll be looking forever or paying up if your must-have list is too long; and attributes that are Not there are key bargaining points. You already have a good start in that you would place a low priority on interior and audio related items, and a higher priority on the SQ4 attributes and performance. I have a blast with the base power and brakes; I find the base suspension fairly taught yet compliant; little roll, decent handling, and adequately gets power to the road. Somewhere there is a sweet spot and the perfect car for you (anyone), but there can be a wide gap between how each of us weighs out all the costs/benefits.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tough call. I personally don't have any regrets or options I wish I had from '14. Mine was fairly loaded. There are certainly newer features I wish I had like soft close doors, and a stitched trident logo on the seats. But from what was available to me in '14 the only thing I wish I had was the ventilated seats.

That said, there are several options that I'm really glad I have, and if I didn't have, I'd probably be in a different car now after all these years. Those would be sport suspension, paddle shifters, carbon fiber trim, extended upgrade leather (in my case red), and the alcantara headliner. The good leather and the headliner are two things you're not going to swap out yourself. I went with base audio because that's easy to upgrade yourself. These days, the paddle shifters are really easy to add on, plus you could even replace the springs and sway bars with FD components to give your ride a little sportiness. There's even companies out there selling carbon fiber replacement trim pieces for around a grand, so even that can we swapped out on your own now.

Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is a really good thread and I personally feel that one never really knows what they wanted until they have their current ride for a while with the opportunity to live with it and see other cars with, for lack of better words, "more" This will be my first Maserati. I am a car guy like you all. That said, when I made the decision to pursue a Ghibli and the model year (2017 post facelift) I did the best I could to identify what was offered for this year and how much I wanted it. I am a long time BMW owner having a 3-series (first one) and three 5 series and five 7-series. I learned post purchase on a lot of them what I wanted and was missing. Specific to the BMW brand, the sport, m-spot and m cars were the ones that made me yearn for the aggressive stance and the performance after I bought one without it. Sometimes modding a non sport car does not get you to that place or it takes effort and money to get there and sometimes not worth it. My first E65 (2002+) Bangle 7-series was not a sport. It came with 18' wheels and chrome trim. I would see the sport models on the road and admired the blacked out trim and the wheel package. So I bought the sport 19" wheels and put them on. The car still didn't look like the sports. Why? Because it did not sit as low and there was a ton of gap. Sure I could have then lowered it, but I had the air suspension and this would be costly. The car did have a ton of things that I really could have passed on. Power adjustable rear seats for example. A very rare option but kind of useless. The adjustable air suspension, also pretty useless to me. The sports had a performance suspension and handled better. Mine was a cruiser.

So, as far as I know, Maserati Ghibli models vary little in this area. They do not offer a shadow-line trim option. They all have the chrome around the windows and door handles. So knowing that they all look like this made me feel good that I wouldn't see a "sport" go by me. I also found that Ghibli's are fairly "order-able" with any option at all trims. So finding a base SQ4 with 20" wheels was an option. They all sit at the same height. So what I am saying is there would be very little aesthetic buyers remorse if I found the right car and I hope I did. That said, I am sure I am going to see other 2017's on the road with things I wished I had, but most of them visual. I can't drive the car going by me with a J hook suspension so I won't know what I am missing as long as it sits at the same height.

I do like my gadgets though. Power trunk with the kick feature is something I had in the past. Will I miss it? Probably not enough. I have the full driver assistance in my Infiniti and I hate it and NEVER turn it on, so won't miss and don't want it. Top down camera though is something I have found very useful in the Infiniti and I think I will miss it, but not a deal breaker. I think it only comes with the full driver assistance package. Soft close doors? Had them a few 7 series ago and don't have them in my 5. Biggest thing is getting used to actually closing the door again when you don't have them. I honestly only missed them for the first month as I would always close the door and leave it open.

The audio system is important to me and enhances the driving experience on a nice day, roof open and good vibe. I know that these are manageable upgrades, but for a couple of grand. I always wanted the BMW B&W system and was the premium audio option left a lot to be desired in my BMW's. From what I have read here, the Premium Audio in my Ghibli will be the same. I don't know why high end car companies can't get audio right without spending $6,000 on B&W. The Bose system in my Infiniti kicks butt. Best I have ever heard from a factory system.

Anyhow, what I am saying is you don't know what you don't know until you see, feel, touch or hear what you don't have. Being a prospective owner (this Saturday), I will know more in a year what I wished for, but it's nice hearing perspectives from you guys who are current owners.

I would love to see a picture of the spoiler someone mentioned above. I assume this is aftermarket as Maserati doesn't offer one to the best of my knowledge. I have seen the thin carbon fiber ones on ebay and am intrigued how it looks. I am sure someone will pass me by with one.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
290 Posts
You definitely should worry about the leather. Base option vs extended leather option makes the difference between feeling like you're in an exclusive italian high performance machine versus being reminded FCA makes this vehicle... your passengers will notice too. A lot of those early bad reviews on the Ghibli were on base models without the extended leather and yeah, it looks and feels cheap (in my opinion), maybe average at best.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
290 Posts
I would love to see a picture of the spoiler someone mentioned above. I assume this is aftermarket as Maserati doesn't offer one to the best of my knowledge. I have seen the thin carbon fiber ones on ebay and am intrigued how it looks. I am sure someone will pass me by with one.
My gransport has an OEM carbon fiber spoiler as part of the exterior carbon fiber pack, which also includes CF front splitter, mirror caps, and that vertical piece that goes in-between the windows.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not to thread jack, but a few quick (not great) photos of the after market spoiler I got from Express Aero Kits in Garden Grove. FRP construction. Fit is near perfect. I spent almost three times as much for Bumper Medic to prep and paint it (absolutely perfect color match). Larger than a lip style, but to me it suits the proportions of the car (not as 'obvious' looking as it might appear in third photo).
And that chrome window trim is getting blacked out any day now......

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
My self to do not make questions about what options to have . I bought ( not rental) my Ghibli grandsport SQ4 with everything, besides Carbon exterior because I really don't like, and no dark windows which takes all the charm of the car ( My point of view) . besides that, there is all in. I have it now for a 18 month and has 22000km now, not a lite problem with it, still breaks tires etc all original, 1st maintenance done at the dealer Maserati intini ( Luxembourg) 620 euro

electrically adjustable foot paddles .. many people don't know that and they have it. And I have black stitches on the seats in some areas but we don't see much in the pictures

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Hi Joe, all these cars, options or not, make us a smile while driving it and that is important.
but my favorite and it comes standard in the SQ4 2019, it is the LED Matrix system, it is just amazing ( I am in Europe were the Matrix system works differently from US apparently )
Here from my car,
and the Driving assistance in highway, just crazy, ( I am not speaking about Line Assist) but Driving assistance in highway, the car drives all the way, of course, we need to touch the steering wheel ( tactical steering wheel) but I just touch a bit with my leg, very very soft and the car just drives all the way, perfectly.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi Joe, all these cars, options or not, make us a smile while driving it and that is important.
but my favorite and it comes standard in the SQ4 2019, it is the LED Matrix system, it is just amazing ( I am in Europe were the Matrix system works differently from US apparently )
Here from my car,
and the Driving assistance in highway, just crazy, ( I am not speaking about Line Assist) but Driving assistance in highway, the car drives all the way, of course, we need to touch the steering wheel ( tactical steering wheel) but I just touch a bit with my leg, very very soft and the car just drives all the way, perfectly.
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I’ve got the 2017 xenon’s. I thought these lit up the road, maybe my next one.! I do have the auto high beams which is the first car I’ve had with these. I leave the stalk forward in auto high beam mode all the time.

One thing I thought of this morning in terms of options I wished I had are auto closing doors. Not even sure it’s a Maserati option. My last four seven series had them. Since our doors are so big and heavy, this would be nice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For me, I am really glad my used '17 base Ghibli had 21" rims, really adds to the look. Also, I wish I had gotten the premium sound package. Aside from that, I am very happy with all the base options it comes with automatically.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I’ve got the 2017 xenon’s. I thought these lit up the road, maybe my next one.! I do have the auto high beams which is the first car I’ve had with these. I leave the stalk forward in auto high beam mode all the time.

One thing I thought of this morning in terms of options I wished I had are auto closing doors. Not even sure it’s a Maserati option. My last four seven series had them. Since our doors are so big and heavy, this would be nice.
I have it in my car auto closing doors and trunk ( with foot .. I mean not foot on the trunck : ) ) standard in the SQ4 2019

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have it in my car auto closing doors and trunk ( with foot .. I mean not foot on the trunck : ) ) standard in the SQ4 2019
Nice. I’ve got the auto trunk foot thing. No soft close doors though.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts