Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
366 Posts
Very cool video. That’s pretty loaded. The puddle lights are aftermarket right? I was going to get them but my GF gave me too much sh!t.
Ignore the GF lol. I added these and people positively comment on them all the time. My wife actually bought them for me. They are pretty cool.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just turned in my 2017 SQ4 lease and leased a 2019 S. So, I'll be in a Ghibli for another 36 months.

My 2017 had none of the nanny safety features like blind spot monitors or even parking sensors. My 2019 has all the electronic gizmos -- 360 surround camera, pedestrian detection, lane keeping assist, speed limit recognition, etc. They are all nice to have, but to be honest the only one I missed in my 2017 was blind spot monitoring, which is actually a very good safety feature.

My 2019 came with 19" Proteo Wheels, which are nice, but I preferred the 20" Urano Wheels. So, knowing I would be buying a set of tires over the course of the lease anyway, I put on a set of 20" Black Urano Wheels (that I bought on eBay) and a set of bigger Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's. I'll put the 19" wheels and tires into storage and will swap them back on before I return the car.

I went from an SQ4 to an S. The 2019 has an hp bump up over the 2017. So, I went up from 404 to 424. As far as all wheel drive is concerned, I do not miss it one bit. I live in Southern California. So, driving in weather is not really an issue. In fact, so far I like the S a lot more. I did not like the feeling my SQ4 had as it shifted torque from front to back or left to right to maximize grip. I'm sure it was working hard to keep me planted, but it felt like something was slipping -- very unnatural. The S fells much smoother and is more pleasing to drive.

Neither my 2017 nor my 2019 had steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. I do NOT miss them at all. I had paddle shifters on my Cadillac ATS performance. To be honest, it was more of a traditional sports sedan than the much bigger Ghibli, and I never used them on the ATS. So, I was sure I would never use them in the Ghibli either. If I want to row my own gears I'll drive my weekend car, a Z4 roadster.

The Ghibli features that I do not have but would like to have: 1) Soft close door; 2) Ventilated Seats; and 3) Cuoio/Grigio Zegna interior. There is something about the grey silk inserts in the saddle colored leather seats that to me look great.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ignore the GF lol. I added these and people positively comment on them all the time. My wife actually bought them for me. They are pretty cool.
So would you say they look like something Maserati would have consider including or do they scream of aftermarket mod?

·
Registered
366 Posts
congrats on the 2nd Ghibli! I'm on my second as well. Already looking forward to my third Maserati when i'll likely ditch 2 doors :) Very intrigued to see the new models that should be unveiled this summer.

Wanted to comment on the paddles. I had them in my previous Audi a couple cars ago and used them maybe twice. But the paddles on the Ghibli just beg to be used. They're huge, thick, metal, mounted to the steering column, and responsive; simply satisfying to use. And personally I love cruising around in sport/manual mode, revving up the low gears and making a lot of noise. 5 years and 2 Ghibli's into ownership, that fun hasn't waned for me. Plus it gives the interior a better overall aesthetic in my opinion.

The ventilated seats are great too btw. The seat warmer warms up FAST while the cool air is awesome in the summer time.

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
366 Posts
So would you say they look like something Maserati would have consider including or do they scream of aftermarket mod?
if you're asking if they look tacky, I don't think so at all. I have the simple one that is just white light that beams the trident and nothing else. Looks OEM.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just turned in my 2017 SQ4 lease and leased a 2019 S. So, I'll be in a Ghibli for another 36 months.

My 2017 had none of the nanny safety features like blind spot monitors or even parking sensors. My 2019 has all the electronic gizmos -- 360 surround camera, pedestrian detection, lane keeping assist, speed limit recognition, etc. They are all nice to have, but to be honest the only one I missed in my 2017 was blind spot monitoring, which is actually a very good safety feature.

My 2019 came with 19" Proteo Wheels, which are nice, but I preferred the 20" Urano Wheels. So, knowing I would be buying a set of tires over the course of the lease anyway, I put on a set of 20" Black Urano Wheels (that I bought on eBay) and a set of bigger Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's. I'll put the 19" wheels and tires into storage and will swap them back on before I return the car.

I went from an SQ4 to an S. The 2019 has an hp bump up over the 2017. So, I went up from 404 to 424. As far as all wheel drive is concerned, I do not miss it one bit. I live in Southern California. So, driving in weather is not really an issue. In fact, so far I like the S a lot more. I did not like the feeling my SQ4 had as it shifted torque from front to back or left to right to maximize grip. I'm sure it was working hard to keep me planted, but it felt like something was slipping -- very unnatural. The S fells much smoother and is more pleasing to drive.

Neither my 2017 nor my 2019 had steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. I do NOT miss them at all. I had paddle shifters on my Cadillac ATS performance. To be honest, it was more of a traditional sports sedan than the much bigger Ghibli, and I never used them on the ATS. So, I was sure I would never use them in the Ghibli either. If I want to row my own gears I'll drive my weekend car, a Z4 roadster.

The Ghibli features that I do not have but would like to have: 1) Soft close door; 2) Ventilated Seats; and 3) Cuoio/Grigio Zegna interior. There is something about the grey silk inserts in the saddle colored leather seats that to me look great.
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting to hear your perspectives on the two cars and the options. I have the full boat of driving gizmos on my Infiniti QX60 and I completely agree that blind spot warning is the only thing valuable to me. The pedestrian detection, lane keeping assist, braking, etc. is more annoying than anything. The only time I use it is if I had a few drinks. It's piece of mind that something else is watching the road and hitting the brakes or keeping you in the lane. Not saying I drive drunk, but something to not give the cops a reason to pull you over.

Interesting comments on the S vs the SQ4. I have only driven SQ4's so I don't know the difference, but it seems my car is always 100% to the rear wheels. In terms of paddles, I have to disagree and maybe if you had them on either you might too? Don't get me wrong, I had paddles in many older cars that frankly shifted the transmission like a dinosaur. Hit the paddle and wait 1.5 seconds for it to shift. My Ghibli feels almost dual clutch. It shifts on demand in a slit second. This is what makes it fun and useful.

I wish I too had soft close doors, don't wish for ventilated seats as I have them now in my other cars and never use the cooling. It's not really cooling, just air flow. I wish I had stitched tridents.

·
Registered
484 Posts
if you're asking if they look tacky, I don't think so at all. I have the simple one that is just white light that beams the trident and nothing else. Looks OEM.
Yes, that is what I was asking but wanted to be respectful. Got a link to the ebay ones you got? I'm in!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I added the puddle lights to both of mine too. They are cheap but very classy looking, not cheap after market mod looking at all. I'm not sure why Maserati didn't do this. They are not shy about putting the trident on other parts of the car! Why not the ground?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I added the puddle lights to both of mine too. They are cheap but very classy looking, not cheap after market mod looking at all. I'm not sure why Maserati didn't do this. They are not shy about putting the trident on other parts of the car! Why not the ground?
Alright, I am sold! Got a link Tommy to the tasteful ones you got?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Here's a quick search, so many choices. I definitely don't want the colored emblem. I think it's either Trident only or Trident with Maserati written under it.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
As you can see in the previous page on my video about my 2019 ghibli, the puddle lights are extremely high quality, it is a cold white color as the interior LED and very sharp image, none that has seen it thought a second that wasn't coming standard in the car. And no, I don't like big logos with colors and all that stuff, just one color reflecting what is as in the car and simple.
It looks absolutely OEM and very easy to install ( plug play)

now related to previous models MY2017 that came out in middle 2016, there is a lot of differences compared to a 2019. some of them and not all as I forgot some and still finding, for example, the last one -- the exhaust of the 2019 is different from the 2017, in the 2019 it is a straight X pipe going from the engine directly to the rear, not the same in the 2017, of 2 seats air flow adjustment in the air-con buttons of the 2019 etc..
here a video of previous and 2019 with some differences I picked up.

Now concerning the, for example, the line assist, I HATE it, I have it in my car, it is full options, however, if there is something I really like and because I do a lot of highways, it is the Highway Assist system, fantastic, of course, due to European regulations you must touch the steering wheel if you don't touch after 15 seconds around the car ask you to put your hands on the steering wheel ( no it doesn't work if you put a bottles or a phone like in audi or volvo) the steering wheel detects the hands from the exterior of the circle of the steering wheel ( not sure if I express myself well) so when I drive long distance, I just touch very softly the steering wheel with my knee so soft that doesn't block the steering wheel to turn, and the car drives for hundreds of miles by himself with an incredible precision had similar system in my brother's Audi TTS but was not as good. I really recommended if you like sometimes drive long highway distance
Another point I absolutely love, and I had more than 20 cars with similar and not using it at all because was not so enjoyable, it is the paddles in the steering wheel, even in my previous M6 V10 ( my other channel youtube Geoffrey fake) was not that enjoyable, but in the SQ4 I just love it, not a day where I do not use them, the combination between the engine, engine sound, and that fast gearbox, it is just perfect, puts you a big smile
Also having the paddles fix and not turning with the steering wheel like in my second car the Jag XJ it is also a must, ( I never drive with paddles in the jag because it is not the same feeling at all)
you can select and chose and hold the rpm as you wish it is amazing.

concerning the SQ4 and S, I believe there is a difference at low speed only, because the 4 wheel drive in a SQ4 are mostly at the rear after a certain speed, however having and had many of rear-wheel drive, depending on your way to drive or taste, the rear traction only, can be more " fun".
I love the 4 wheel drive as it settles the car perfectly in all kind of situations, but I hate it when it is wet or cold and when you turn very sharp at very low speed, like in a parking, you fell the front wheel is like sliding and making a strange feeling, it happens also when your front tires are used and in similar situation.
besides that at very low speed and in certain circumstances, I love the 4 wheel drive, ( I had previous porsche audi's etc )with 4 wheel drive and many others rear drive wheel only like the jag now for example

Another thing I love it is the LED Matrix, it is crazy, but what is weird, apparently the system doesn't work the same way in US due to regulation
I have quite a few owners in US that told me their cars work well with the LED but the matrix system is like disabled. here on my car, if fog or rain, it is even better to see how it works.

and I drive a lot on highway where there is no speed limit, so if anyone ask what is the maximum speed on a 2017 or 2019 on the speedo (digital) it is 305kmh, not a penny more, from 295 it goes a bit slower but it goes, and then stays going from 304 305 304 and so on and stays there (189mph) .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's a quick search, so many choices. I definitely don't want the colored emblem. I think it's either Trident only or Trident with Maserati written under it.

I got them from Amazon, but its all the same stuff from China. I went with the trident inside an oval. My only complaint is the connecting wire is a little sketchy. It snaps into the light fixture fine, but it simply has two thin pins that stick into the Maserati connector inside the bottom of the door. I secured it with a bit of electrical tape and did not have any problems over several years.

·
Registered
484 Posts
As you can see in the previous page on my video about my 2019 ghibli, the puddle lights are extremely high quality, it is a cold white color as the interior LED and very sharp image, none that has seen it thought a second that wasn't coming standard in the car. And no, I don't like big logos with colors and all that stuff, just one color reflecting what is as in the car and simple.
It looks absolutely OEM and very easy to install ( plug play)
View attachment 20067

now related to previous models MY2017 that came out in middle 2016, there is a lot of differences compared to a 2019. some of them and not all as I forgot some and still finding, for example, the last one -- the exhaust of the 2019 is different from the 2017, in the 2019 it is a straight X pipe going from the engine directly to the rear, not the same in the 2017, of 2 seats air flow adjustment in the air-con buttons of the 2019 etc..
here a video of previous and 2019 with some differences I picked up.

Now concerning the, for example, the line assist, I HATE it, I have it in my car, it is full options, however, if there is something I really like and because I do a lot of highways, it is the Highway Assist system, fantastic, of course, due to European regulations you must touch the steering wheel if you don't touch after 15 seconds around the car ask you to put your hands on the steering wheel ( no it doesn't work if you put a bottles or a phone like in audi or volvo) the steering wheel detects the hands from the exterior of the circle of the steering wheel ( not sure if I express myself well) so when I drive long distance, I just touch very softly the steering wheel with my knee so soft that doesn't block the steering wheel to turn, and the car drives for hundreds of miles by himself with an incredible precision had similar system in my brother's Audi TTS but was not as good. I really recommended if you like sometimes drive long highway distance
Another point I absolutely love, and I had more than 20 cars with similar and not using it at all because was not so enjoyable, it is the paddles in the steering wheel, even in my previous M6 V10 ( my other channel youtube Geoffrey fake) was not that enjoyable, but in the SQ4 I just love it, not a day where I do not use them, the combination between the engine, engine sound, and that fast gearbox, it is just perfect, puts you a big smile
Also having the paddles fix and not turning with the steering wheel like in my second car the Jag XJ it is also a must, ( I never drive with paddles in the jag because it is not the same feeling at all)
you can select and chose and hold the rpm as you wish it is amazing.

concerning the SQ4 and S, I believe there is a difference at low speed only, because the 4 wheel drive in a SQ4 are mostly at the rear after a certain speed, however having and had many of rear-wheel drive, depending on your way to drive or taste, the rear traction only, can be more " fun".
I love the 4 wheel drive as it settles the car perfectly in all kind of situations, but I hate it when it is wet or cold and when you turn very sharp at very low speed, like in a parking, you fell the front wheel is like sliding and making a strange feeling, it happens also when your front tires are used and in similar situation.
besides that at very low speed and in certain circumstances, I love the 4 wheel drive, ( I had previous porsche audi's etc )with 4 wheel drive and many others rear drive wheel only like the jag now for example

Another thing I love it is the LED Matrix, it is crazy, but what is weird, apparently the system doesn't work the same way in US due to regulation
I have quite a few owners in US that told me their cars work well with the LED but the matrix system is like disabled. here on my car, if fog or rain, it is even better to see how it works.

and I drive a lot on highway where there is no speed limit, so if anyone ask what is the maximum speed on a 2017 or 2019 on the speedo (digital) it is 305kmh, not a penny more, from 295 it goes a bit slower but it goes, and then stays going from 304 305 304 and so on and stays there (189mph) .
Great videos Geoffrey, thanks for putting this together, Very interesting, I did forget, I do like the full driving system for the automatic cruise control on my other cars. Great for long highway drives where the car slows, brakes and accelerates based on the cars distance in front of you. Wish I had adaptive cruise on my Ghibli. I like your puddle lights too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I got them from Amazon, but its all the same stuff from China. I went with the trident inside an oval. My only complaint is the connecting wire is a little sketchy. It snaps into the light fixture fine, but it simply has two thin pins that stick into the Maserati connector inside the bottom of the door. I secured it with a bit of electrical tape and did not have any problems over several years.
Thanks Tommy. I am torn between yours and Geoffrey's. Decisions, decisions!

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Great for long highway drives where the car slows, brakes and accelerates based on the cars distance actually it steers also automatically keeping the car straight in the middle using all the 360 cameras ( not like the line assist that moves suddenly the car to avoid cross the line

With this system you just touch very gentle the steering wheel with your knew or leg and the car believes you have the hands on the steering wheel and it drives on his own .. I don't touch the steering wheel with my hands for many many miles, it is pretty good, however it is not a full automatic system like Tesla, it doesn't undertake a car in front of you for example
You have to do it manually.. but if you stay on your line... the car does all.. I spend hours speaking to my wife looking at something etc where the car just keeps driving .. in a very relax way... it is excellent. Also the car is connected to the gps even if you are not using the gps, so the car knows when you are in a highway or not.. this system works only on highway

·
Registered
484 Posts
On the puddle lights, I think I want the ones Geoffrey has. Unfortunately, I can't find these on Amazon and eBay sellers are all from China and I don't want to wait a month.

EDIT: found a US seller. Question, do these provide similar ground light as the OEM's? I don't want to compromise the intended functionality

·
Registered
2016, Maserati, Ghibli S Q4
5 Posts
On the puddle lights, I think I want the ones Geoffrey has. Unfortunately, I can't find these on Amazon and eBay sellers are all from China and I don't want to wait a month.

EDIT: found a US seller. Question, do these provide similar ground light as the OEM's? I don't want to compromise the intended functionality

I literally just installed mine on all four doors. I ordered it Tuesday from the same seller and received it in the mail today (a day earlier)
I also ordered the same one with the “Maserati” in script to replace the 4 I put today but I have to wait a month also

·
Registered
484 Posts
I literally just installed mine on all four doors. I ordered it Tuesday from the same seller and received it in the mail today (a day earlier)
I also ordered the same one with the “Maserati” in script to replace the 4 I put today but I have to wait a month also
Do you like them? I ordered them.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts