Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My dealer has quoted me £1500 to retrofit the shifter paddles which includes typical main dealer labour rate. My aim is to do this myself in the most cost effective manner and I'm trying to glean information and make it available for others. When I do the retrofit myself I'll post a guide.

In the meantime, here's what I've found out so far:

Dealer Job:
  • Remove steering wheel and airbag.
  • Remove bracket and replace with paddle assembly.
  • Plug paddle assembly connector into existing socket
  • Replace upper & lower plastic steering column covers with ones suitable for the paddles.
  • Replace Steering column stalk with longer version for increased clearance.
  • The dealer also says that there is coding involved but this isnt required to get it to work. Instead I suspect its simply to update the car's onboard ECU to tell it that it now has paddleshifters as per factory and/or reset the airbag light if required.
Cost effective DIY Job:
  • Remove steering wheel and airbag
  • Remove bracket and replace with paddle assembly.
  • Plug paddle assembly connector into existing socket
  • Replace upper & lower steering plastic steering column covers with ones suitable for the paddles.
I'm not planning on replacing the stalk with the longer version as I believe its only marginally longer but that's an individual choice.

There's a PDF Guide on how to do this on the Quattroporte and I believe the process is the same. What I need in order to continue is some idea of how to remove the airbag on the Ghibli and the part numbers required for the above.

PART NUMBERS
Paddle Shift Assembly: 670013665 (I believe this correct and assume no difference between RHD & LHD parts) UK price for this is £700 alone!
Upper steering column shield 670019270
Lower steering column shield 670019081 (models with manual adjustment)
Lower steering column shield 670019078 (models with electric adjustment)

Note above parts are verified for RHD models but I can't confirm they work with LHD.

I know that there was a thread about this a year ago but it didn't go anywhere. The only person I know of who has done this is mrpa1999 and I've PM'd him for more info but if anyone else can help with this project for the benefit of all of us please feel free to weigh in.

Quattroporte guide is a good start and can be found here: DIY - Adding Paddle Shifters to a QP - Maserati Forum

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
There is a lot of inconsistency thrown around about this subject and whether or not paddles is possible. Well if you are in the USA, its almost 100% possible. The only way you cannot do the upgrade is if you special ordered your car, and did NOT include power seats. All base model cars came stock with power seats, so you would have had to do a manual delete for the option.

If your car has the power seats (option 136), then your car is 100% wired for the paddle upgrade. PERIOD.

These are the basics steps you will need to perform - in order.

0. disconnect battery terminal cable from trunk.
1. remove airbag
2. remove steering wheel
3. remove column front/top cover
4. remove column lower cover
5. disconnect tranny control clip
6. install paddle assembly (4 screws) and connect 2 clips.
7. reverse the sequence.
8. torque to spec
9. power cycle the car.
10. DONE, no software update needed, as long as you already have the prerequisites and proper wiring. if your car didnt have the wiring then it most likely would need a software update b/c you would have had to install a lot of other needed components besides what is mentioned.

Dealers need to know what they are talking about before giving out bad info. if they have not done it than they are not the ones to speak with and really shouldnt be giving advice on the subject.

Parts Needed:

(1) Paddle Assembly - Part#, 670013665 ($333.00)
(1) Steering Column Switch - Part #, 670025007 ($172.80)
(1) Steering Trim Lower Cover - Part#, 670024855 ($38.00)
(4) Mount Screws - Part#, 675000180 ($0.25ea)

Total Cost of Parts - $544.80 + tax.

·
Registered
72 Posts
mrpa1999 , can you confirm that after you installed them yourself, that they are working as designed , without having a Dealership do any additional coding or programming?

S

·
Registered
164 Posts
I never installed them on my car, not sure where that came from. I know how to do it and have done it before on a QP, it's very easy, the ghibli is even easier than the QP.

There may be a software update for the transmission that is required, I can see that as being possible.

It's also possible that all cars are already flashed for the paddles as part of the overall tranny flash from the start, they simple don't have the paddles. Now when you plug the paddles in, shut the engine off, do a power cycle and reboot the paddles are recognized and activated.

If you look at the actual paddle assembly you will see a wire harness, that plugs into your transmission control / gearbox.

The paddles should run $385 delivered price. I believe you may need a different column stalk cover as well, the plastic trim piece. That part can be better answered by someone who had it done. Pull out your invoice and look at the part #s.
According to my dealer there is a flash required.
There's also the stalk that needs to be changed so there is enough clearance between the paddles and the "multifunction" arm.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's also the stalk that needs to be changed so there is enough clearance between the paddles and the "multifunction" arm.

As per my initial post a longer stalk is part of the retrofit package that the dealer does but whether or not it is absolutely necessary is a matter of personal opinion. Depends on the clearance and how much longer the new stalk is.

As for flashing, I'm looking into this. On the current model Quattroporte which has the same same ZF transmission there is no flashing required, so it would seem strange that this is required on the Ghibli for it to work.

My feeling is that the actual flash may simply be the airbag warning light or to tell the instrument cluster to display the paddle symbols on either side of the gear display.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
thats the prob every dealer will tell you something completely different. find a dealer that knows what they are talking about, most dont. the ones that have not done this procedure shouldnt even talk about it.. i talked to continental last night for pricign only, they said it cant be done and will require an entire steering column replacement and cost $4-$5k.. sorry bro you have no clue, CLICK...

see edited post above for new info!

·
Registered
20 Posts
DIY Paddle Shifters

This guide is incomplete. Anyone happen to have part numbers for the US steering column panels, and the shorty stick?

I am surprised there is not better info on this topic... yeah plenty of text, but literally no pics, no videos and no one here that has performed the procedure on their own car, and that car being an actual Ghibli.

I will document the process if you guys can get me some definitive info. For example, people have alluded to an official dealership procedure for adding paddles. Can we get our grubby hands on that document somehow? Come on Maserati, we want to buy more overpriced stuff, make it easy!!! Is there no one on this forum that works closely with a dealership, works at a dealership, or maybe has a friend that does? :)

There is a lot of inconsistency thrown around about this subject and whether or not paddles is possible. Well if you are in the USA, its almost 100% possible. The only way you cannot do the upgrade is if you special ordered your car, and did NOT include power seats. All base model cars came stock with power seats, so you would have had to do a manual delete for the option.

If your car has the power seats (option 136), then your car is 100% wired for the paddle upgrade. PERIOD.

These are the basics steps you will need to perform - in order.

0. disconnect battery terminal cable from trunk.
1. remove airbag
2. remove steering wheel
3. remove column front/top cover
4. remove column lower cover
5. disconnect tranny control clip
6. install paddle assembly (4 screws) and connect 2 clips.
7. reverse the sequence.
8. torque to spec
9. power cycle the car.
10. DONE, no software update needed, as long as you already have the prerequisites and proper wiring. if your car didnt have the wiring then it most likely would need a software update b/c you would have had to install a lot of other needed components besides what is mentioned.

Dealers need to know what they are talking about before giving out bad info. if they have not done it than they are not the ones to speak with and really shouldnt be giving advice on the subject.

Parts Needed:

(1) Paddle Assembly - Part#, 670013665 ($333.00)
(1) Steering Column Switch - Part #, 670025007 ($172.80)
(1) Steering Trim Lower Cover - Part#, 670024855 ($38.00)
(4) Mount Screws - Part#, 675000180 ($0.25ea)

Total Cost of Parts - $544.80 + tax.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
its not incomplete bc i personally helped a friend do it last year. the lower panel cover is $38.

no clue what a "shorty stick" is...

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is a basic framework for a guide... at best. "Remove Airbag"? How? I think we all appreciate your efforts, but we need a real DIY guide for this. The guy who wrote up the DIY Oil Change, now that is a guide.

A "Shorty Stick" is the different shorter stalk that you need because the standard one sits about a c-hair from the paddles. I spent 2 hours at the dealership today. There is DEFINATELY a software update that changes the paddle graphics and also allows you to do something by holding down both paddles for a few seconds. No clue what, and the update didn't specify. Would love it if someone with the paddle graphics held down both paddles for a while and let us know if anything happens.
@mrpa1999 Your communication style would be more effective and more believable if didn't make definitive statements on things you are 99% certain of. I am sure you will reply with something about the software update is not needed because it is graphics only. Ok, that might be true, but to do it the right way, why would you not want the cool paddle graphics?

its not incomplete bc i personally helped a friend do it last year. the lower panel cover is $38.

no clue what a "shorty stick" is...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just to clarify the turn stalk is not shorter, rather it is at a larger angle away from the steering wheel. If you leave the original stalk on and add the paddles the stalk will make contact with the paddles if you flash the bright. And as stated above is a "c-hair" away from the paddles while in its normal position.

I had paddles added by the dealer and at first they did not replace to stalk as they had to order the part. If you add paddles you must replace the stalk.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
It is a basic framework for a guide... at best. "Remove Airbag"? How? I think we all appreciate your efforts, but we need a real DIY guide for this. The guy who wrote up the DIY Oil Change, now that is a guide.

A "Shorty Stick" is the different shorter stalk that you need because the standard one sits about a c-hair from the paddles. I spent 2 hours at the dealership today. There is DEFINATELY a software update that changes the paddle graphics and also allows you to do something by holding down both paddles for a few seconds. No clue what, and the update didn't specify. Would love it if someone with the paddle graphics held down both paddles for a while and let us know if anything happens.

@mrpa1999 Your communication style would be more effective and more believable if didn't make definitive statements on things you are 99% certain of. I am sure you will reply with something about the software update is not needed because it is graphics only. Ok, that might be true, but to do it the right way, why would you not want the cool paddle graphics?
Sorry man but like I said the steps are correct, it must be done in that order too. To write and illustrate every little step is way too cumbersome. The steps I provided can easily be accomplished by anyone with some mechanical knowledge though. If you don't understand it then it's really not the job you want to undertake anyway bc a newbie is likely to mess up the airbag or something so it's best to not even try and leave it to the dealer, $750-$1000 at dealer isn't bad in all honesty.

The software is not "required" to have functioning paddles. All the software does is illuminate a paddle on the dash as opposed to M1, M2, etc. the software has no bearing on actual shifting.

Btw that guy who wrote up the oil change was me, how about that!

If you're truly interested in doing a retro paddle install, and you need step by step details like the oil change DIY, you can PM me and we can go from there. There are reasons why it's not publicly displayed, sometimes you need to read between the lines.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Btw - each dealer charges there own pricing on retro paddle install. Try calling several dealers. I got prices ranging from $750 all the way up to $2000... One dealer even went as far as saying it needed a whole new steering column and wanted $5000.. So it pays to check with several dealers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You are the DIY Oil Change Guy! That is an amazing guide! See, now we know what you are capable of! Sincerely, thank you for producing that guide. Things like that will greatly enhance the enthusiast community.

Yes, I want paddle shifters more than anything. It is a disgrace that they are not standard on all cars. I drove a loaner with paddles while my car was getting 100 campains done and when I got back in my non-paddle car I was furious... and sad, I will gladly document the whole process. I am very mechanical and I am sure I can handle it but I wish there was more guidance. I have never taken out an airbag and I just imagine some static discharge and the airbag deployng and shoving a screwdriver directly up my nose at about 3000mph, **** that hurts!

I still can't find a part number for the different angle Turn Stalk (what I was calling the "shorty stick") and the dealer closest to me has been trying to figure out the procedure and pricing for over a week. Their last call was somewhere around $3000 insisting that I will need to replace "significant steering column parts".

I need a guide that says,

STEP 1: Call your local dealer and order part a, part b, part c, part d and part e with 100% accuracy.

Also, I have been thinking lots about your "read between the lines" comment and although I would love to join you at super secret spy headquarters, I still can't imagine why this would be a secret or contentious thing to discuss openly. Is it because the dealers want you to buy the option at purchase time and think that a retrofit would impact their numbers? That seems like it would be a drop on the bucket. Do the dealers want to make money doing these retrofits? Doubtful since I have called like 5 dealerships and none have any clue what to do. Could it be that you personally don't want to be tied to this procedure? Ok, perhaps, but I will produce the guide if I can get the right parts.

The secrecy is a mystery and like any great mystery, I have to know!!! PM me if you are ready to spill the beans. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dealer is installing it on monday including the turn signal lever and software update. The quote as $1,200 Parts and labor. They've never done it but seemed to know what to do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wonder why they don't just use the same stalk with or without the paddles. If you are doing it yourself, I wonder if you can heat the plastic with a heat gun and bend it slightly. Nothing to lose.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
the extra stalk part is cheap. the total parts is about $600 if you buy from dealers with decent parts pricing. the job takes about 1 to 2 hrs depending on skill. a tech at the shop can knock it out in 1 hr or less though...

dspan i sent you PM. you can respond and let me know what you want to do. at the very least you will save a few hundred DIY. if you have a screwdriver, a wedge, some sockets and some patience to take things apart carefully its not hard at all. its sounds intimidating but really, its very simple and straightforward job. i personally would not pay the dealer more than $800 for the entire job parts and labor, anything north of $800 would be DIY for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 15 didnt have paddles so i ordered the kit and installed them myself. Im turning the car back in and sellng the paddles if anyones interested. Kit has the paddles, turn signal switch, screws and column trim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reviving the dead

I know is an old thread

Anyone has a recommendation where to get the Paddles installed on a 14 Ghibli without being taken for a ride ?

I am located in MD

Where to source the parts at good price as well

Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 29 Posts