Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to get paddle shifts for my North American Ghibli QS4, I need to order the sports package as it can't be ordered as a stand alone option. Skyhook adaptive suspension cannot be combined with the sport package therefore I am left riding a non adjustable sport suspension on 21" wheels as a daily driver in order to get paddle shifters. Meanwhile every video out of Europe shows the paddle shifters AND the skyhook button. Input anyone?

·
Registered
47 Posts
For the sport suspension are they not Koni adaptive suspensions ?

Paddle shifts are a stand alone option in europe but depend on the date you want the car they maybe allready produce predefined cars so if you want it in the next 2 months that could be the case that you need the sport pack ...

I think they want to sell a lot of predefined cars ...

·
Registered
76 Posts
For the sport suspension are they not Koni adaptive suspensions ?

Paddle shifts are a stand alone option in europe but depend on the date you want the car they maybe allready produce predefined cars so if you want it in the next 2 months that could be the case that you need the sport pack ...

I think they want to sell a lot of predefined cars ...
do you know why they are a stand alone option? i don't see why they should be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What exactly is the KONI adaptive suspension?

From what I understand, the suspension is just an old school spring suspension that will be very sporty.

Does anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is what Ghibli111 write about them :

Sport Suspension – 10mm (-0.4 in) ride height, stiffer springs, KONI dampers, - yields improved handling with good behavior on bumpy roads

The Sport Suspension supersedes the Skyhook suspension on Ghibli S Q4.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The sport suspension uses dual-rate Koni dampers. As I understand it, the dual rate damper detects rough road surfaces and automatically switches to a lower damping rate to better absorb the bumps. I believe this is an entirely mechanical mechanism so the switching occurs automatically and very quickly.

A quick look on Koni's website reveals that they call this "FSD", short for Frequency Selective Damping.

It's apparently why this supersedes the Skyhook suspension, since you can't have the Koni mechanical selective damping system together with the electronic one in the Skyhook.

I can't find any reviews that specifically mentions the sport suspension, or how it compares to the stock and the Skyhook suspension.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nova, how do you know for sure that the sports suspension uses the dual rate Koni dampers (FSD)? Did you clarify with the dealership or is it mentioned elsewhere? My dealership hasn't a clue about this.

Ghibli111 mentions the KONI dampers but not these specialized FSD dual rate ones. I am hoping you are correct as this will solve my issue of ride quality on 21" wheels....:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Brutesky,

From the Maserati Ghibli Press Release:

While the architecture of the Sport suspension is unchanged, it lowers the ride height by 10 mm and uses stiffer springs and firmer, dual-rate Koni dampers that adjust to varying conditions. This is available only on these two models to counteract their slightly heavier front weight distribution (51 : 49).
By "these two models" they are referring to the diesel and the S Q4 as both of these have a 51:49 weight distribution, versus 50/50 on the base Ghibli.

I did some research and the only automatic self-adjusting damper that Koni offers is the FSD model, and I doubt Koni designed and manufactured a different damper technology specifically for use just on the Ghibli as an optional sports package. Therefore I believe the FSD is the one that's being employed on the Ghibli.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great information, thank you.

I will let everyone know how well they work when I get the car. Of course there is no date yet.
I love this forum, our dealers are clueless!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be great if we could have 100% confirmation from Maserati or a dealer. Your logic makes sense though. My car is ordered anyways with it and the 21". Lets hope for the best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for being the new guy but I have been behind on the suspension details. Can you guys fill me in on the skyhook adaptive suspension and what it does?

·
Registered
48 Posts
In order to get paddle shifts for my North American Ghibli QS4, I need to order the sports package as it can't be ordered as a stand alone option. Skyhook adaptive suspension cannot be combined with the sport package therefore I am left riding a non adjustable sport suspension on 21" wheels as a daily driver in order to get paddle shifters. Meanwhile every video out of Europe shows the paddle shifters AND the skyhook button. Input anyone?
I've been thinking about this lately - if I had to choose either paddles or Skyhook, I think I would chose the Skyhook. Hear me out:

Skyhook make the car turn from a cruiser to a hardened sports car at the touch of a button. It also keeps the car planted on turn-in and during braking or accelerating. Basically make the car handle much better than anything mechanical could do.

Paddles are a novelty. They will be rarely used (even on track days I usually just put my current Audi S4 in Sport mode and let the computer figure it out since I'm not quite at the level of an F1 driver.) If you really want to override the gear select, just tap the stick up or down - Maserati went with the proper orientation of down a gear forward / up a gear back (unlike the Germans). The paddles are also in the way of BOTH the radio controls on the steering wheel and the turn signal stalk - they are mentioned in just about every review of the Ghibli as the only ergonomic error in the cabin. And your knuckles might smack into the pointed tips of the paddles when turning. As they are just a electronic control for the tranny, I'm sure there will be some sort of better aftermarket alternatives.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have had two cars with paddles and I am longing to just use the stick. But I would love both to be their for whatever mood I was in. Agree why there is not a paddle only option because I want the skyhook because this will be a family car and my car so I need two distinct personalities. My dealer swears he can get anything done and with 10% of global sales he may be able to. I will ask and report back.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Confirmed that cannot have skyhook and paddles. Paddles come with the sports package which include the koni shocks which cannot be paired with skyhook. So we will have to choose.........no paddle only option.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You can not have skyhook with the paddles at this time. The Koni shocks are adaptive/adjustable shocks that react to road imperfections automatically. While they are a bit stiffer then the Skyhook is, they are very good at dampening road imperfections and very good for performance. I would not mate the 21" wheels without Skyhook, but honestly, who needs 21" wheels on a sedan like this. Stick with the 19" or 20" wheels, and the Sport Suspension and I'm sure it will be fine.

For me the paddles are a must. I've driven with paddles the last 4 years in my Mercedes and although when I first bought the car I didn't think I would use them, I've found myself using them 70% of the time. You will get more out of the car performance wise with paddles then without.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Do you guys even like paddle shifters? Im not really a an of them, but seeing were the industry is going we will have no choice but to find the good side in them, and get to like it.

seeing how ferrari and maserati are under the same roof, im expecting these paddle shifters to be some of the better ones out there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you guys even like paddle shifters? Im not really a an of them, but seeing were the industry is going we will have no choice but to find the good side in them, and get to like it.

seeing how ferrari and maserati are under the same roof, im expecting these paddle shifters to be some of the better ones out there.
I thought paddles were hella awesome when I bought my Audi. Used them at every stop light, when braking before going on an off ramp, etc. Now they are just a cool token when a someone sits next to you and says, "Hey, are those paddle shifters? Cool!!!" Hardly ever use them now in all seriousness.

In addition, I really don't like column-mounted paddles. The are big, get in the way of everything, and can interfere with turning. I *much* prefer wheel mounted. They just feel right and are in the perfect position for the tips of your fingers when you are driving 9&3. Even turning the wheel 180 degrees either direction (the most you'll ever need to do on a track, but you shouldn't be shifting in a turn anyway) keeps the paddles right under the fingers. And they don't interfere with ANYTHING else within reach.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts