Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

Paddle Shifter Disappointment

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Lenny 
#1 ·
Hi Guys & Gals

So, today's project was to retrofit paddle shifters, Research done, (Tick,) Assemble all components required, (Tick), Disassemble steering column (Tick) Locate paddle shifter connector (Tick, tightly bound in electrical tape as expected} Locate shifter mount on steering column!!!! For whatever reason Maserati decided not to put a bracket on the column on my vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this, found away to fit a bracket or point me in the right direction?? Please see attached photos of what I expected to see and what my SC looks like minus the bracket.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Tire
Fluid Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine

Automotive tire Bumper Tire Gas Machine

See less See more
#2 ·
Holy thread resurrection batman.
However I have just come across this myself and seeing as I struggled to find an answer I thought I would help any future people who come across this one.
If you have a manual adjustment steering column then you are not likely to have that bracket.

I plan to either make my own bracket and tack it on or buy an electric column from a scrapper and remove the bracket then weld it on to mine. The only slight issue could be the adjustment rack on the sides of the column are much further forward than on the electric one and so there may not be enough room albeit that rack could be trimmed down slightly. From what I can see the bracket will be right up against the rails, which makes it easier to tack on as can be tacked to the rack instead of the column itself.
I shall update once I have done it.

#3 ·
Hi Rammers, thanks for your reply, I actually got the paddle shifters fitted without having to fabricate a bracket. Another member had already done this using the steering column housing as the support bracket. I was dubious at first as I thought there would be too much play in the shifters but thought I would give it a go a see what happened.

Surprisingly once it was in position on the column, I was able to secure it in place with a cable tie to get it in position in the casing, when the housing is clipped back together the shifters are secure and work as expected. I left them in place expecting to have to adjust them at some point, but they have been absolutely fine7 months after fitting . I would of course prefer to get a proper bracket tig'd to the column but until I can get a hold of one this will do the trick. Keep us updated on your progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.