Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get the sport package; therefore, no paddle shifters. No biggie, as I didn't use them, in my previous car much. Preferred the stick shift.

With that said, I was looking at the steering column, there are two cut outs for the paddle shifters, one on each side. Curious to know if the factory hook ups and wiring would be there. Just need to put in an actuator and paddles? Anyone without paddle shifters brave enough to take off the plastic cover and see what's there? I've tried, but couldn't find any screws to unbolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can confirm that everything is there and the paddles can be retro-fitted. I had this done by the dealer on my car.

Reactions: NYCSQ4

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can confirm that everything is there and the paddles can be retro-fitted. I had this done by the dealer on my car.
Thanks. What needed to be installed besides the paddles of course? Mounting brackets? Actuators? New software flash?

How much was it to install?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not sure, dealer did it as part of agreement to buy their ex-demo car. I think it was about £1500.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
I didn't get the sport package; therefore, no paddle shifters. No biggie, as I didn't use them, in my previous car much. Preferred the stick shift.

With that said, I was looking at the steering column, there are two cut outs for the paddle shifters, one on each side. Curious to know if the factory hook ups and wiring would be there. Just need to put in an actuator and paddles? Anyone without paddle shifters brave enough to take off the plastic cover and see what's there? I've tried, but couldn't find any screws to unbolt.
Yes the wires are inside the steering column for the paddle hookup..

You need to remove the entire top & bottom steering column panel covers to do this. Once the covers are off, you have to remove the airbag, then remove the steering wheel itself. You need to remove both of these things since there is a bracket that needs to be removed, once the bracket is removed you replace it with the paddles.

You then plug the paddle wire harness in, and reverse the process putting everything back together again. Its a very simple process..

Tools needed -

• allen wrench
  • phillips screwdriver
  • 5/16th wrench

Parts needed -
  • paddle shifter assembly
  • new upper column cover
  • new lower column covers

you need new covers since the non paddle cars obviously have a different steering column cover to accomodate the paddles.

Total cost should run less then $500 depending on what paddles you go with.

THATS IT!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. Very informative. I assume the software does not need to be updated.

Unplugging the airbag seems like a daunting tasking. Where would you buy the paddle bracket and wiring harness?

Can you just cut out the paddle cut outs instead of new covers?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was considering having mine removed originally. The dealer said programming was involved, but reading this, I wonder if it was just to reset the airbag light.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Thanks for the information. Very informative. I assume the software does not need to be updated.

Unplugging the airbag seems like a daunting tasking. Where would you buy the paddle bracket and wiring harness?

Can you just cut out the paddle cut outs instead of new covers?
No removing the airbag is very simple. The whole process is very easy if you follow right steps. Many many many people have done retro paddle fits on the QP.

You can get all the requires parts at your local Maserati dealership at the parts department. All you are doing is replacing the base parts with the upgrade parts.

Call dealer get price on paddle shifter assembly. Buy it and self install. It's a simple plug and play device. Every car is equipped with the wire harness.

Anyone who buys the parts I will give you full instructions on how to do this. I will be doing it soon myself and can make a youtube video.

My only prob right now is using the stock paddles. I don't like them and prefer an upgraded carbon fiber set. Look at my other posts I have done many upgrades to my ghibli already, such as brake caliper painting, racing pedals, upgraded mats with Maserati logo, tint, carbon fiber plates.

Next on list is paddles, wheel spacers, misc carbon fiber pieces.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No removing the airbag is very simple. The whole process is very easy if you follow right steps. Many many many people have done retro paddle fits on the QP.

You can get all the requires parts at your local Maserati dealership at the parts department. All you are doing is replacing the base parts with the upgrade parts.

Call dealer get price on paddle shifter assembly. Buy it and self install. It's a simple plug and play device. Every car is equipped with the wire harness.

Anyone who buys the parts I will give you full instructions on how to do this. I will be doing it soon myself and can make a youtube video.

My only prob right now is using the stock paddles. I don't like them and prefer an upgraded carbon fiber set. Look at my other posts I have done many upgrades to my ghibli already, such as brake caliper painting, racing pedals, upgraded mats with Maserati logo, tint, carbon fiber plates.

Next on list is paddles, wheel spacers, misc carbon fiber pieces.
Dealer here in Vancouver wants $690 for the paddles and 2 hours labor to put them in. So around $1,200 taxes in.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Dealer here in Vancouver wants $690 for the paddles and 2 hours labor to put them in. So around $1,200 taxes in.
Rip off.. the stock paddles are very cheesy at best. For $700 you can get a killer aftermarket set.

And there is no way in h*ll i would pay someone $500 to install it. Even a novice / amateur 1st timer can do this in under 1 hour. The tools require are very minimal, maybe like 4 common household tools needed.

See if you can purchase the paddle assembly, without the actual paddles, (ie just the bracket that the paddles are mounted to).. I almost 100% certain you can, if you need the part # let me know. Then go online and buy a carbon fiber set of paddles. FD has the carbon's with red pinstripes that look very nice, 100x better then stock paddles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rip off.. the stock paddles are very cheesy at best. For $700 you can get a killer aftermarket set.

And there is no way in h*ll i would pay someone $500 to install it. Even a novice / amateur 1st timer can do this in under 1 hour. The tools require are very minimal, maybe like 4 common household tools needed.

See if you can purchase the paddle assembly, without the actual paddles, (ie just the bracket that the paddles are mounted to).. I almost 100% certain you can, if you need the part # let me know. Then go online and buy a carbon fiber set of paddles. FD has the carbon's with red pinstripes that look very nice, 100x better then stock paddles.
Thanks. Can you please provide the part number for just the bracket? How much do you think just the bracket should cost? So, pretty much any aftermarket set of paddle will fit on the bracket? Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One of the Southern California Maserati dealers recently posted on their Facebook page a special offer to install paddle shifters for the Ghibli for $800 - labor included. Unfortunately, I can't remember which dealer it was :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Yangpei, it was probably the dealership here in San Diego, my car was the first one in SD to have the paddles installed afterwards. Before I bought my car, I saw the first post on this thread, I mentioned it to dealer and they found out they can install them after the fact. I got them done for $800 bucks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Yangpei, it was probably the dealership here in San Diego, my car was the first one in SD to have the paddles installed afterwards. Before I bought my car, I saw the first post on this thread, I mentioned it to dealer and they found out they can install them after the fact. I got them done for $800 bucks.
How do you like the paddle shifters? Do you use them?

On my wife's previous cars (PDK 911 and Audi A7), we never touched the paddles once. On my Vantage, however, I use the paddles routinely.

Just wondering if it's worth adding paddles to the Ghibli.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As a follow up, I asked my dealer about this and they showed me the Maserati tech sheet for the add on. The parts include the paddles, bracket, new washer / light / combo lever (for increased clearance) and a new column cover. There is also a software update. Total cost just under $1200

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone actually installed these themselves and con confirm that software update is NOT needed... that everything on display,etc shows correctly..

I am sure corners may be cut and one may bolt on parts , but I am unsure ho wthe car would know to change the display when paddles are in use.

Just curious,

S

·
Registered
279 Posts
I looked into this and MRPA has since said that he has not actually done the retrofit himself and cannot confirm that a software update is or is not required.

The price for the shifter paddles part is so prohibitively expensive in the UK (from both dealer and indy parts supplier) that the cost saving isn't worth it when coupled with the uncertainty of a software update being needed or not.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts