Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if when you have the paddle shift option is the ability to shift via the joystick disabled in manual mode?

·
Registered
253 Posts
You can use the stick to shift but the up and down are reversed. Down is up shift and up is downshift. Another not very thought out feature of the stick , is that in order to shift with it you don't need to put it into a special mode. Basically when you're in D you can shift. This in turn creates an awful lot unintended shifting because any time you use the touch screen and you are resting your hand on the shifter it's easy for you to bump it and down/ up shift.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So pushing away up shift and pulling towards you downshifts?

I agree that's opposite of what's natural to me as a driver. However I believe European shifters are all done this way.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You can use the stick to shift but the up and down are reversed. Down is up shift and up is downshift. Another not very thought out feature of the stick , is that in order to shift with it you don't need to put it into a special mode. Basically when you're in D you can shift. This in turn creates an awful lot unintended shifting because any time you use the touch screen and you are resting your hand on the shifter it's easy for you to bump it and down/ up shift.
depending on the manufacturer its either way

its a matter of what you are use to. so just get use to it and it'll work just fine! :cool:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know why the directions are done this way. I always felt it to be the most natural to up shift by pulling towards me, and downshift by pushing away. I think it's because the manual shift pattern always have lower gears at the front and left, and higher gears at the back and right.

Real racing car sequential shifters also work in this direction:

BMW gets it "right". Audi gets it "wrong". Some manufacturers like Porsche use both schemes - "wrong" one for their street vehicles and "right" one for the more track-tuned models.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Isn't pull towards you more indicative of "down" if you look at it from top view? I would like to see pulling = down shift, and pushing away = up shift - that just seems more natural to me, because down is down, and up is up, and not the other way around,

However if you look at it from perspective of manual transmission - pushing a stick up always downshifts, so from that perspective it works correctly

eg:

1 3 5
2 4 6

1 - 10 of 10 Posts