Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so here is the deal. Car currently has the silver calipers, problem is I prefer the red calipers. Car was purchased in stock, so I did not have the option to have red factory installed.

My options, along w/ costs.

Dealer Paint Job - $1500 (remove, paint, reinstall)
Custom Paint Shop - $515 (remove, paint, reinstall, + cost of paint)
Do it myself - $50 (includes primer, paint, clear coat, decals)

I was scheduled to have them painted last Thurs at the Custom Paint Shop. Long story short, getting someone to follow me, bring me home, then repeat 2 days later didnt work out too well considering it was 3 hours roundtrip :eek: and not even my wife was down for blowing 6 hours of her time for me to have a set of brakes painted!

So with that being said, my next options were to file for divorce or for a good old DIY job... The DIY job was cheaper then the divorce so it was a no brainer...

I went ahead ordered the custom Ferrari Paint and will tackle the job myself. I have painted calipers in the past, its not hard, and takes an entire day from start to end since paint has to dry, etc.

Gameplan:
  • clean / degrease, sand 320 grit
  • prime coat, sand 600
  • prime coat, sand 600
  • base coat, sand 1000
  • base coat, sand 1000
  • base coat, sand 1200
  • clear coat, sand 1500
  • clear coat, sand 1500
  • clear coat, wet sand 2000, sit overnight
  • apply high temp decal

Stay tuned for some before and after photos of my brembos going from silver to Ferrari Red. I am a perfectionist so the bar is being raised here.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW - all paints will be sprayed on, there will be no brush or hand jobs :laugh:

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah man it's actually very easy, hardest part is waiting 30 min for paint to dry before applying next coat. I would rather pay the $500 to get it done but the logistics of getting it done just don't fit into my schedule so it's a perfect DIY.

Once you see the end result you won't be able to tell which one was factory vs DIY. Spraying them makes them perfect. Most guys end up doing them by hand w self leveling paint but IMO it doesn't look as clean.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm also started working on another MOD last week. I finished all the prep work, measurements over the weekend and the fabrication will be done in the next few days.

All I can say is start saving up about $250-$300 bc you guys are gonna love it. Jaws will drop! And like I said it's very inexpensive but the end result is huge aesthetics wise.

Keeping you guys in suspense till it's all finished.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Typically I'm right there with mrpa.
As soon as I get a new car I figure out how I can improve/modify it.
So far haven't found anything on this that I think needs a mod...except of course the premium sound, but that hasn't bothered me so much yet as the exhaust is the best soundtrack so far.

Reactions: Deepankar Abrol

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm also started working on another MOD last week. I finished all the prep work, measurements over the weekend and the fabrication will be done in the next few days.

All I can say is start saving up about $250-$300 bc you guys are gonna love it. Jaws will drop! And like I said it's very inexpensive but the end result is huge aesthetics wise.

Keeping you guys in suspense till it's all finished.
Ok I just put the money away even before I get mine! >:D

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From where did you procure the high temp decals? Does anyone have the Maserati in Vector format to share?
ebay - come from israel. they are high temp logos. they have all OEM sizes and colors.

the OEM writing size will change depending on how many pistons the caliper has.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I finally got around to removing the calipers from my car and painting them.

I ordered the Ferrari Corsa Red paint in aerosol cans online, along w/ some primer and 2k professional grade clear coat. Anyone attempting this, the key to success is the prep work and making sure they are clean!

End results = AMAZING!!! The calipers are FLAWLESS, no runs, no bubbles, and the paint is like mirror glass. Anyone holding these in their hand would think they were done at the factory by Brembo.

Total cost - approx $100

Pics attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow! Really nice job Mrpa.

·
Registered
292 Posts
They look amazing! We are all still waiting for the update for the "other mod".....

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They look amazing! We are all still waiting for the update for the "other mod".....
Me too! It took me a lot more time then I anticipated. Good news is it's done and if I get a free minute I plan on doing the install one night this week. Either way it will be done by Saturday 100%...

·
Registered
27 Posts
In all this painting the Maserati logo on the callipers will be gone I guess? Or is there a way to cover the logo with something?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts