Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I was looking for: I want a daily driver, that has a fun factor, can run in 3-4 inches of snow, hold at least 4 people, is not huge, and will spend no down time in the shop.
So I pulled the trigger on the Ghibli at the end of January. This is just one man’s opinion and purchase process, with no intention of offending anyone. There are lots of great cars being made and many different price points and reasons for buying one brand/model over another.
My story: I’ve owned a lot of different cars, including 4 Porsches and most recently a Panamera 4S. I had the Panamera almost 4 years and it was time to replace it. Porsche has not done much in refreshing the Panamera and the dealers were not very aggressive so I looked at other cars. I was most serious about the BMW 6 series. (My wife has a 5 series and son has a 3 convertible). I did extensive test driving of the 6 including multiple hour long distance drives. It’s a beautiful car, very fast, impeccable fit and finish, great dealer service. However, to my taste, both the interior and the exterior are too understated to the point of being boring. Has the interior changed in the last 10 years? I really dislike the iDrive. I didn’t like it when it first rolled out, and now it seems just quirky. (Phones, tablets have all gone to touch screens. The point and click modality seems like ancient tech.) Lastly, the 6 back seat is basically a shelf. There is zero leg room in back when a tall person is driving.
So I test drove the Ghibli. In years past I had driven the QP, but had mixed feelings. I was impressed with the performance and interior, but it was too big to my taste and I was scared off by lack of reliability. Like Goldilocks, the Ghibli seemed just right. Its actually very close to the Panamera in length and 11 inches shorter than the QP. I test drove the Q4 with sport and manual buttons pressed and the window cracked open. It was terrific! I did a little more research, took another test drive and shopped around on price. I finally settled on the Ribiero Nero over extended leather Cuio, with premium sound, sport package, and a few other goodies bringing the list price to just short of $90k. I got 19s to help cushion the pothole shock, and I’ll put snows on next November. (I burn through tires fast enough that having two sets is not really more expensive for me.)
Couple of random comments:
I like the Nav screen a lot. It seems way more modern and intuitive than the German Navs. (I sometimes think the German attitude is that if its more difficult to use it must be better.)
I have no problem with any parts being shared with Chrysler. Makes sense to use scale economies to build better products. If its more useful and cheaper, I don’t care what models share it.
It may be possible to buy a G for $65K somewhere, and that’s fine for that person, but to get the full experience you need to at least get the sports package
If you’re considering a test drive, you have to drive the SQ4 with manual and sport buttons depressed and the window open.
I loved the Super Bowl ad. I disagree with people who focus on how the money might have been spent elsewhere. We wouldn’t be talking about print ads in car mags the same way we are about the SB ad.
If the G spends a lot of time in the shop, I’m out of it, and if this is widespread, it will be a huge Fail for Fiat and Sergio.
Lastly, the stock is up 50% since November. I doubt the G can move the earnings needle significantly on its own, but it can help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reef i'm actually debating between the panny and the ghibli. can you briefly tell me why you went from the panny to the ghibli? any regrets? thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nice honest review thanks that is what we need here at this forum...........please post your views as you get some miles on the car!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am 3 weeks into my base Ghibli and loving every mile in it. No issues so far- just the thrills. I had a 2004 BMW 645 and 2009 Panamera and both were very early models in the launch year and both were the first cars sold by the Ocala,FL dealers. Unfortunately I had terrible problems with both those cars and so I waited a year on pulling the trigger on the Ghibli. Despite seeing all the annoying issues with the Ghibli on this forum I couldn't resist. I paid a lot more for the Bimmer and Panamera but I am enjoying my Ghibli way more and as an added bonus I have not had any problems so far-keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's exactly the analysis I made.
I had a M5 then a XF. Wanted a 4 seater with AWD (family and security on slippery roads) + great look and something a bit more orginal than BMW, AUDI and Merc'
I considered the Panamera 4S but I didn't quite like the rear of the car + I completely fell in love with the look of the Ghibli and the great sound of the exhaust + the fact that it is quite original compare to those german cars which we see a lot of here in Luxembourg.
The italian style + Ferrari-built engine added to this choice that Ghibli is for me...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts