Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me introduce myself as a new member to this forum as well as give you my thoughts about the Ghibli S Q4 itself and some observations for those who may have concerns about quality, performance or reliability based upon comments elsewhere in this forum.

For those of you who have already purchased a Ghibli S Q4 -- I salute you. If you are on the borderline about Italian motorcars or may be concerned about Maserati build quality or reliability -- I do hope you will take the time to truly understand and then experience what Italian motorcar engineering and performance is all about. The pleasure of driving an Italian car is something I first experienced with a 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. It handled superbly. God how I loved it. The Ghibli has all the same handling characteristics of classic Italian exotic cars. Sweet, sweet, sweet!

I drove the 124 Sport Coupe enthusiastically for five years on every twisty, curvy road I could find from Vermont to Colorado -- until one day when I had a flat tire and the jack went through the rusted frame. Needless to say, I was sad to let it go but I was thankful that the flat saved me from something more dire. Fiats simply weren't made to withstand the winters and salt in the states.

I have had a 1985 BMW 635csi that I took delivery on in Germany and drove throughout Europe before shipping it back to the states. What an experience driving the Autobahn and throughout the narrow winding roads in Italy. In Austria, I came across an individual who was an F3 race car driver and as we were talking, he asked me, "Why do you buy such a beautiful car only to take it back to the USA?" I asked, "What do you mean?" He replied, "You are going to enjoy it here -- but when you get back to the states, you are only going to retire it!"

Well, he was exactly right! There simply is no comparison between driving five hours from Italy to France at 220+ km/h and driving in the states. At least I was able to fully enjoy the bimmer for a few weeks in Europe.

I currently have a 2012 CLS550 and a 16 year BMW 528i (E39). Both cars are wonderful examples of the finest in German engineering. The BMW runs and looks as good as when it was new. I have also driven Porches, Jaguars and numerous other roadsters. All without question, wonderful cars and fun to drive.

Let me say this: none of the cars I have driven compare to the visceral thrill of driving of the Ghibli S Q4; and from an ownership perspective, not the Fiat 124, the 635csi, the 528i or the CLS550. Okay, so the Ghibli isn't perfect -- and no car is; sure it has its flaws and imperfections but that only adds to its character. Overall, this is one fantastic car that is superbly engineered as well. In my opinion, even those issues so thoroughly discussed on this board shouldn't deter anyone from getting this car. None of the faults people have mentioned will stop me from putting the S Q4 on the top of my list. Sure there are other fine cars out there, but there is nothing like an Italian exotic -- and at the price of the Ghibli S Q4 -- well, you should be thanking Zeus and stop equivocating, worrying and/or complaining.

It is Italian, after all! Make sweet love to it, caress it, adore it, enjoy it, make it purr -- you will soon overlook her faults and welcome her each day with passion and desire. And of course you will forgive her for her flaws or if she is moody because deep inside you know that her great beauty is derived from the soul of a long history of Italian design and engineering -- a soul that is more than skin deep or possessing superficial makeup. Yes, she might even possess but you will love her like no other. And guess what -- unlike the CLS or bimmer -- you can fully enjoy her in the states as well as Europe. Just find a road with lots of curves in it and drive it enthusiastically.

I have driven the S Q4 and yes, I am in love -- I can't help it for the reasons stated above. Flaws, what flaws?

...hopefully, soon to be a Ghibli S Q4 owner.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For those of you who have already purchased a Ghibli S Q4 -- I salute you. The pleasure of driving an Italian car is something I first experienced with a 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. It handled superbly. God how I loved it.

I drove it enthusiastically for five years -- until one day I had a flat tire and the jack went through the rusted frame. Needless to say, I was sad to let it go. Fiats simply weren't made to withstand the winters and salt in the states.

I have had a 1985 BMW 635csi that I took delivery on in Germany and drove throughout Europe before shipping it back to the states. What an experience driving the Autobahn and throughout the narrow winding roads in Italy. In Austria, I came across an individual who was an F3 race car driver and as we were talking, he asked me, "Why do you buy such a beautiful car only to take it back to the USA?" I asked, "What do you mean?" He replied, "You are going to enjoy it here -- but when you get back to the states, you are only going to retire it!"

Well, he was exactly right! There simply is no comparison between driving five hours from Italy to France at 220+ km/h and driving in the states. At least I was able to fully enjoy the bimmer for a few weeks in Europe.

I currently have a 2012 CLS550 and a 16 year BMW 528i (E39). Both cars are wonderful examples of the finest in German engineering. The BMW runs and looks as good as when it was new.

None of these cars: the Fiat 124, the 635csi, the 528i or the CLS550 compare to the thrill of driving of the Ghibli S Q4. Okay, so the Ghibli isn't perfect; sure it has its flaws and imperfections but that only adds to its character. In my opinion, even those issues so thoroughly discussed on this board shouldn't deter anyone from getting this car. None of the faults people have mentioned will stop me from putting the S Q4 on the top of my list. Sure there are other fine cars out there, but there is nothing like an Italian exotic -- and at the price of the Ghibli S Q4 -- well, you should be thanking Zeus and stop equivocating, worrying and/or complaining.

It is Italian, after all! Make sweet love to it, caress it, adore it, enjoy it, make it purr -- you will soon overlook her faults and welcome her each day with passion and desire. Her beauty is derived from the soul of a long history of Italian engineering -- a soul that is more than skin deep or possessing superficial makeup. And guess what -- unlike the CLS or bimmer -- you can fully enjoy her in the states as well as Europe. Just find a road with lots of curves in it and drive it enthusiastically.

I have driven the S Q4 and yes, I am in love -- I can't help it for the reasons stated above. Flaws, what flaws?

...hopefully, soon to be a Ghibli S Q4 owner.
Very well said.
We did an exhaustive research and 3 week test drive marathon to find a replacement for our fantastic and loved BMW 335i coupe which was getting a bit old. We test drove MB CLS550, MB S550, BMW 640/650 Grand Coupe, Jaguar XF/XJ and Audi A7. All truly great cars on their own rights. At the end of that process, we created a list scoring every car: exterior design, interior design and quality, drivetrain, ride and handling, brand cache and exclusivity, reliability (both real and perceived), price and emotional connection etc. at the end of that process Ghibli S Q4 came ahead of the others for us and based on our needs and priorities.

Cars at this price range are hugely emotional purchases, each of the cars that I mentioned had their strong points: great German engineering for BMW, MB and Audi. That special, hard-to-describe British car feel in Jaguars. For us, Ghibli S Q4 provided that unique combination of design, performance and brand cache that was just right for us. I believe the general reliability of most cars in this category are comparable due to the global and distributed nature of part manufacturing and car assembly these days.

Even if Maserati sells 50,000 or even 100,000 cars a year, they are going to stay as a very niche brand compared to Germans with each of BMW, MB and Audi selling over 2 million cars a year.

Regards,
PJ

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two words: Italophile and Passione

Very well said.
We did an exhaustive research and 3 week test drive marathon to find a replacement for our fantastic and loved BMW 335i coupe which was getting a bit old. We test drove MB CLS550, MB S550, BMW 640/650 Grand Coupe, Jaguar XF/XJ and Audi A7. All truly great cars on their own rights. At the end of that process, we created a list scoring every car: exterior design, interior design and quality, drivetrain, ride and handling, brand cache and exclusivity, reliability (both real and perceived), price and emotional connection etc. at the end of that process Ghibli S Q4 came ahead of the others for us and based on our needs and priorities.

Cars at this price range are hugely emotional purchases, each of the cars that I mentioned had their strong points: great German engineering for BMW, MB and Audi. That special, hard-to-describe British car feel in Jaguars. For us, Ghibli S Q4 provided that unique combination of design, performance and brand cache that was just right for us. I believe the general reliability of most cars in this category are comparable due to the global and distributed nature of part manufacturing and car assembly these days.

Even if Maserati sells 50,000 or even 100,000 cars a year, they are going to stay as a very niche brand compared to Germans with each of BMW, MB and Audi selling over 2 million cars a year.

Regards,
PJ
Maserati Ghibli, design story. Present by Marco Tencone. Head of Maserati design.19-20.06.13. Siena(Italy)

Two words: Italophile and Passione

aaah -- you just gotta love italian designers and engineers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Happier with my purchase..!!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
That video is great!
To hear to designer describe certain elements makes me look at my car in different ways now. Especially the angles at the rear doors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If some very boring person asks why you purchased a Maserati instead of a reliable Audi, BMW or Mercedes. Just show them this video:

For me Maserati remains a dream, but I don't care, it is always a delight to see them on the road, to hear them and admire them. And they will always be elite cars, even at BMW 5'er prices

1 - 12 of 12 Posts