Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of old ECU tune threads out there. I’m interested in the current offerings and experiences with results, installation and impact on warranty.

I see lots of Formula Dynamics threads. Mostly from them. Anyone do theirs? How much money? Not much info on their site.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If dealer sees it they more than likely will void warranty. Especially if the vehicle is in for warranty work and they can prove it was due to the tune. Check out Euro Dynamics. Great guys and they will flash your ECU back to stock free of charge if needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lots of old ECU tune threads out there. I’m interested in the current offerings and experiences with results, installation and impact on warranty.

I see lots of Formula Dynamics threads. Mostly from them. Anyone do theirs? How much money? Not much info on their site.
I've added a madness gopedal and the difference is night and day all for under $300 and easy installation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@Joe-Ghibli can you tell us what the difference is? Does the car perform better in regular mode than stock sport mode? Feel a power increase and/or better throttle response?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Joe-Ghibli can you tell us what the difference is? Does the car perform better in regular mode than stock sport mode? Feel a power increase and/or better throttle response?
I’m a new owner and was curious about ECU tune options. I am not experienced with the results of the offerings.

As all the owners know here, Sport mode is dramatic over Normal mode.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went with Euro Dynamics, couldn't be happier. Chris is great to deal with. Huge gains in the low-mid rpm which you feel every time you press on the peddle, even when you're barely getting on the gas. Above 4K rpms, it's a beast.

Tuning your car will not void your warranty for anything non-engine related. It's not a blanket void on the warranty where they can blame your tune because your leather started coming apart at the seams or your radio went out. When I got my Larini sport cats installed, they told me I was voiding the warranty on the rear O2 plugs, the resonator and the mufflers. Big whoop. Totally worth it for the reduction in turbo lag and the deeper exhaust note.

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
322 Posts
Formula Dynamics offers a great tune for the Maserati Ghibli, it is a very worthwhile addition that adds quite a bit of power, torque and overall response. Unlike some of the past Maserati's, the gains from the ECU Tune today is beyond what was achievable in the past, now that the new models are Turbo. So it really offers a big bang for the buck.

Having focused on the Maserati brand for so long, we know that we offer an excellent product and that you're going to love the results. Give us a call or shoot us an email with any questions, we'd be happy to help!

Best Regards,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Formula Dynamics offers a great tune for the Maserati Ghibli, it is a very worthwhile addition that adds quite a bit of power, torque and overall response. Unlike some of the past Maserati's, the gains from the ECU Tune today is beyond what was achievable in the past, now that the new models are Turbo. So it really offers a big bang for the buck.

Having focused on the Maserati brand for so long, we know that we offer an excellent product and that you're going to love the results. Give us a call or shoot us an email with any questions, we'd be happy to help!

Best Regards,
Could you please elaborate on how it’s “Virtually Undetectable”? Thank you!

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
322 Posts
Sure, first of all, there is no physical modification to the car with the FD ECU Tune, so a visual inspection will come up with nothing. The only change made is the file inside the ECU, which is based off your original ECU file.

Some other tuners would load a generic "tuned" file into your ECU but its not necessarily based on the same configuration and software versions that you are running in your Ghibli and so you can sometimes have other issues based on these variances and it is another area where your ECU can more easily be seen as modified.

Instead, we first read your factory file and save it off so that you can always revert back to it later in the event you wish to do so.
Next we modify your file to make the required changes to the fuel, timing, boost and load tables to get you a great result and lots of extra power.

The dealers don't have a tool or method that can detect these changes at their disposal as these are the only sections of the ECU file we modify. It's possible that someone that has really in depth ECU knowledge and tools can detect the changes but again it's just not something that is easy to do nor do many have the tools to do this.

So, you can get the FD ECU Tune completed, enjoy the results and if you ever felt you had the need to revert to stock, you're still able to do so.

Hope that helps but feel free to reach out to us directly with any questions, always happy to help!

Best Regards,

·
Super Moderator
2,019 Posts
I can say having a good quality ECU tune will bring about a WOW feeling when you get your car back on the road for the first time ... It's like how did I live without out this performance enhancement, than you'll be used to it as the new standard. I'm not a track guy, but liked the feeling of more power, (and sound) during spirited driving within safe limits. I was able to measure certain changes using a $150 data logger before and after the tune.

For the most part, unless you made other obvious changes, routine service at the dealer is seamless ... no issues. Also be aware dealer could overwrite the tune with Maserati ECU updates, but easy for your tuner to restore. Frequent updates were common with the early model years ... not so much today.

The risk, is if you have problems with any major engine components while vehicle is under warranty, (related or unrelated to the tune) ... turbo's, drive-train, check engine lights, etc ... depending on dealer servicing car they could check and find changes. I find higher risk for cars that "look" like there heavily modified (performance or visually) will draw the most attention.

In my opinion, usually safest to restore to factory settings before bringing car in for engine/drive train warranty work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone try the burger JB4? On paper, it also is undetectable and doesn’t change the ECU. Also has a Bluetooth upgrade and phone app to change maps and flash firmware. Claims to add 65hp to the wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can say having a good quality ECU tune will bring about a WOW feeling when you get your car back on the road for the first time ... It's like how did I live without out this performance enhancement, than you'll be used to it as the new standard. I'm not a track guy, but liked the feeling of more power, (and sound) during spirited driving within safe limits. I was able to measure certain changes using a $150 data logger before and after the tune.

For the most part, unless you made other obvious changes, routine service at the dealer is seamless ... no issues. Also be aware dealer could overwrite the tune with Maserati ECU updates, but easy for your tuner to restore. Frequent updates were common with the early model years ... not so much today.

The risk, is if you have problems with any major engine components while vehicle is under warranty, (related or unrelated to the tune) ... turbo's, drive-train, check engine lights, etc ... depending on dealer servicing car they could check and find changes. I find higher risk for cars that "look" like there heavily modified (performance or visually) will draw the most attention.

In my opinion, usually safest to restore to factory settings before bringing car in for engine/drive train warranty work.
Hey Beerguy, this is great info.Thank you!
Question, how difficult is it to revert to stock map? Is it user serviceable or something that needs to be done by Formula Dynamics? My main concern is breaking down and needing to quickly revert to stock before the dealership performs any service.

·
Super Moderator
2,019 Posts
Hey Beerguy, this is great info.Thank you!
Question, how difficult is it to revert to stock map? Is it user serviceable or something that needs to be done by Formula Dynamics? My main concern is breaking down and needing to quickly revert to stock before the dealership performs any service.
There is a little risk and slight hassle ... you have to pull the ECU and send back to vendor to reflash back to stock. I've not yet seen anyone with a spare "stock" ECU that works ... pop in/out yourself which would be ideal.
Ultimately, you need to overnight and have them overnight back. The reflash itself is quick. Some folks are fortunate and live within a couple hours of their tuner so can be done in person. Now of course, you then need to repeat the process to add back the tune.
Fortunately, this is not too common a problem and you need to make a decision on whether you think the breakdown is engine/drive train related. It's also less inconvenient for non daily drivers as you can afford to have your car out of service for a couple days.

There are Maserati plug/play tunes, but not many touted on this forum.

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
322 Posts
We have setup a 2nd ECU for those that want to just plug in the performance ECU or switch back to plug in their stock ECU. There is of course extra cost associated but we absolutely can make it work if thats what you want to do. Otherwise, you just have to have it flashed back to stock which wouldn't be something that should need to be done often or perhaps ever under most normal circumstances. Normally, this would only be done if you decided that you had a warranty issue to resolve and wanted to revert back to stock.

Hope that helps and best regards!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts