Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pic of Proteo Wheels and Grigio Maratea

I finally found a picture of the Proteo wheels. I think they look good (and definetly much better than the standard 18" wheels). I also like the Grigio Maratea color more and more each time I see it (as long as it is not one of those pictures that make it look purple).

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I finally found a picture of the Proteo wheels. I think they look good (and definetly much better than the standard 18" wheels). I also like the Grigio Martea color more and more each time I see it (as long as it is not one of those pictures that make it look purple).
Wow you just made my day !!!!
Thanx for this awesome find ! I have been playing that picture over in my [email protected] and it turns out it looks even better than I thought. Ordered Grigio maratea with the 21s for summer since I saw it on a grey Quatroporte and looked amazing, which left me with a problem for winter, but decided to go with 19 proteo and winter tires since i thought it would complement the car the best and look like the smaller version of 21... And I think it looks awesome in this photo !

I drove the grigio ghibli and it is not this colour, and today someone posted photos of the silver ( grigio metalic) ghibli which is very different from this colour, which only leaves this to be pretty much confirmed grigio maratea.

The dark grey eggplant purple photos is the rosso folgore, i found pics of that online too.

Very excited for december delivery now... Hope they are not too delayed

·
Registered
41 Posts
* sorry i see now somehow my phone decided to add in an email adress instead of the word -head- in previous post..:confused: Sorry bout that

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the Proteo wheels look alright, is it me or do you guys think the wheels should be bigger?
I think bigger looks better, but I think the 19" wheels are the sweet spot for looks, tire availability, ride quality, and tire tread life (IMO best choice for high mileage daily driver).

·
Registered
41 Posts
the Proteo wheels look alright, is it me or do you guys think the wheels should be bigger?
Yip I agree but really think the protea looks a lot better than the other options in 18/19... The 21 looks beautiful... But comes at a price... My heart won over my head so I went for both ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
More pictures can be seen here:
Maserati 2014 Maserati Ghibli - New Inventory&
What color calipers did you choose?
If I go with Bianco I will get red, but if I decide on Grigio Maratea I'm not sure red calipers will look good.
Well I went 2 tone dash premium leather with the red and black and red calipers.. The leather sample dealer showed me was quite a deep red and not bright so I thought would look sporty and went for it

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Proteo wheels look great and IMO the best option for a balanced look, and one that gives the best balance of ride quality, tire availability, tread life and cost.

Honestly, you get to a point where bigger wheels detract from the beauty of the overall car....like people putting 22" wheels on certain cars they make them look like a tractor! lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any thoughts on whether the Proteo wheels would look even better powder coated gloss black? Most dealers should be able to powder coat them for you if you desire.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In the beginning I was also set on the Bianco Alpi with red/black interior but then I started seeing a lot of creamy pearl white Alfa romeo and fiat 500 around and since I was unable to see the bianco alpi before I had to confirm my order, I decided to not take the risk and order a beautiful car in a colour I dislike... So ended up going safe with the grigio maratea and adding the sporty aggressive side with the red/black interior and the 21 rims. Even being the little sister, it is still a thorough bred Italian blooded Maserati right ;)

PS- Theres a S5 in gunmetal grey and red calipers in my street and I think it looks great.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think bigger looks better, but I think the 19" wheels are the sweet spot for looks, tire availability, ride quality, and tire tread life (IMO best choice for high mileage daily driver).
This is true. 19 inch tires do cost a lot more though but shouldn't be much of an issue if you dont do anything crazy with them. I think at most a whole set should cost a couple to few hundred extra

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PS- Theres a S5 in gunmetal grey and red calipers in my street and I think it looks great.
Good to hear that. I did not like how those colors looked together on the online configurator but that it probably because the colors are not accurate on the online configurator.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is true. 19 inch tires do cost a lot more though but shouldn't be much of an issue if you dont do anything crazy with them. I think at most a whole set should cost a couple to few hundred extra
You have to take the wheel well size into account. On most cars today the well is comparatively small, so 18s or 19s look right. But the Ghibli's wells are colossal, IMO the car requires at least 20s to look balanced.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh my, these wheels look great! It has the dished look that makes the car much more sporty looking. I like it!

I wanted to add that part of the reason the stock wheels/tires look so ugly is also that the Pirelli tires they use have a very rounded shoulder, making for a fat donut look. Tires with a more square side shoulder profile would look a lot better.

Here's a better photo I think:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I saw a Grigio Maratea Ghibli in person last night in Dallas at a Ghibli launch party. Here is a short cell phone video I took (enjoy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tyCy2Ni4nA
Thanx for the video, wow that looks really light, almost like a silver colour.. Really different from the sample, do you think its the same as all the other darker grey which we have seen for example this post and it just changes with the lighting ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am asking since that looks close to the car i test drove which was described as grigio... And if that is grigio maratea, there is still 2 lighter greys than that... Which leaves the dark grey to be nero ribello ? Ah well guess we can all agree that is is a very interesting/confusing colour ;) not sure all the dealers are sure which is which ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am asking since that looks close to the car i test drove which was described as grigio... And if that is grigio maratea, there is still 2 lighter greys than that... Which leaves the dark grey to be nero ribello ? Ah well guess we can all agree that is is a very interesting/confusing colour ;) not sure all the dealers are sure which is which ;)

I am going to have the dealer double check the color and I will report back as soon as a I receive a reply.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great, thanx that will be great, maybe show him this darker grey photos as well and ask what the name of that grey is if yours is grigio maratea... maybe i still have time to change my order

1 - 20 of 25 Posts