Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with several fellow Maserati owners for a meet and cruise on 5/30. We had several Ghiblis, a GT-S with some cool decals, and previous gen QP. Made a lot of noise underground in downtown Chicago!

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Jealous! Looks like fun, nice pics. I wish I were closer. Wish someone would organize this in Boston, MA area.

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
Does look like a great day for a meet-up. And even the cars were practicing social distancing!!!
Sadly, we started out strong with East Coast "Ghibli" annual meets that brought folks from Mass to VA together at nice spots in PA, NJ and NY. Sadly, as our size grew it got harder to arrange and please everyone ... but those early meets were great family/friend gatherings.

Reactions: Joe-Ghibli

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I posted it here on the forum, although it was kind of 11th hour. But join our FB group, Northern Midwest Maserati Club

·
Registered
404 Posts
So, I created a FB Northeast USA Maserati Club, if anyone lives in these parts, join up.

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
So, I created a FB Northeast USA Maserati Club, if anyone lives in these parts, join up.
That's good.
Back in the old days, I got criticized for trying to do the "Ghilbli" meets and not join up with the larger Maserati clubs which operate in our area ... big rallies, road trips, events and have connections to get us into Maserati factories in Italy.
Back then, the "new" Ghibli was considered second class and not a true Maserati by the old timers ... hence why this forum was started, so we did our own thing. Notice even on Maseratilife forum the Ghibli is still referred to as baby quattroporte.
Today, I think the Ghibli has come of age!!!
Funny thing, I intended to buy the GranTurismo MC Sport sitting in the NYC showroom and somehow convinced myself to custom order a new Ghibli SQ4 sight unseen for all the modern features over the older handbuilts. The deep spitting sound on the MC is pretty nice with that V8 engine ... maybe one of my few regrets.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny thing, I intended to buy the GranTurismo MC Sport sitting in the NYC showroom and somehow convinced myself to custom order a new Ghibli SQ4 sight unseen for all the modern features over the older handbuilts. The deep spitting sound on the MC is pretty nice with that V8 engine ... maybe one of my few regrets.
Same here, kinda! I was torn between a GT sport and a new Ghibli Gransport when my previous Ghibli lease was up. Convinced myself to get the Ghibli mostly due to AWD practicality since it was going to be my daily. But I actually just purchased a low mile '14 GT MC! I've had it for a couple days now and a couple things have surprised me.

One, the GT would serve very well as a daily, much better than I thought. It doesn't sit any lower than my Ghibli and I haven't bottomed out on it yet and there are pretty high speed bumps in my neighborhood streets. I think the size of the GT is perfect too, it feels nimble. I'm reminded how large the Ghibli is after driving the GT for a couple days.

Two, from inside the vehicle, I actually find the Ghibli exhaust note in a strange way more pleasing! It's lower and has more of a rumble, at least on my 2018 model. The GT MC exhaust howls like they do, but from inside of the car, it's that (very loud) Ferrari higher pitched howl without as much of a low rumble. But man from outside the car, you can hear the MC coming from really far away. Even my wife, who is not a car enthusiast, commented that the ghibli rumbles louder from the inside. But the MC gives me that $hit eating grin that won't leave my face.

Here she is!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
Same here, kinda! I was torn between a GT sport and a new Ghibli Gransport when my previous Ghibli lease was up. Convinced myself to get the Ghibli mostly due to AWD practicality since it was going to be my daily. But I actually just purchased a low mile '14 GT MC! I've had it for a couple days now and a couple things have surprised me.

One, the GT would serve very well as a daily, much better than I thought. It doesn't sit any lower than my Ghibli and I haven't bottomed out on it yet and there are pretty high speed bumps in my neighborhood streets. I think the size of the GT is perfect too, it feels nimble. I'm reminded how large the Ghibli is after driving the GT for a couple days.

Two, from inside the vehicle, I actually find the Ghibli exhaust note in a strange way more pleasing! It's lower and has more of a rumble, at least on my 2018 model. The GT MC exhaust howls like they do, but from inside of the car, it's that (very loud) Ferrari higher pitched howl without as much of a low rumble. But man from outside the car, you can hear the MC coming from really far away. Even my wife, who is not a car enthusiast, commented that the ghibli rumbles louder from the inside. But the MC gives me that $hit eating grin that won't leave my face.

Here she is!
Really nice car!!! Almost identical to one I was looking at a few years back since it was on deal and only 1200 miles. The MSRP sticker was close to $170K, but wound up locked up in conditioned storage for 3+ years than released back to dealer. They still wanted $100K, ultimately they sold if for $90K 6/100 certified just before the factory warranty expired.
I do agree with your points. My 2014 is extremely loud and deep inside even with all the added dynamat. The GT MC is powerfully loud outside but built like a tank with solid construction, so don't think much of the noise comes inside.

Reactions: ChiTownMaser

·
Registered
404 Posts
That's good.
Back in the old days, I got criticized for trying to do the "Ghilbli" meets and not join up with the larger Maserati clubs which operate in our area ... big rallies, road trips, events and have connections to get us into Maserati factories in Italy.
Back then, the "new" Ghibli was considered second class and not a true Maserati by the old timers ... hence why this forum was started, so we did our own thing. Notice even on Maseratilife forum the Ghibli is still referred to as baby quattroporte.
Today, I think the Ghibli has come of age!!!
Interesting on the Ghibli early snub. Personally, I think the 3.0 QP is the same exact car with a few more inches to the body and some wider vents on the side. If anything, I’d be criticizing Maserati for charging a $30-$50k premium for a QP. It really is the same car with a few trim upgrades.

On the Facebook group I created. It’s for all Maserati enthusiasts. I’m really getting acclimated to the brand. A GT convertible may be in my future. If I ever considered anything with two doors (besides super cars), a convertible would be a requirement.

I’m the only member of my private group, . Still trying to figure out how to get some visibility to NE folks. I thought about cross posting on the Facebook Ghibli and Maserati groups but not sure if that’s cool and I also really don’t want a bunch of LA and Miami ballers clogging it up nor do I want to have to approve a zillion requests. Listen to me, I’m the only member of my group and I’m being selective! We will see. You guys should join.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Here she is!
VERY nice! I am not overly impressed with the Ghibli handling. It feels big and top heavy. At the same time the suspension is hard. I guess I wouldn’t mind if it rode heavy but took the bumps nicely, but it’s got a hard suspension that you would think is hard because it’s glued to the pavement but it’s not.

I’m assuming the GT handles like it’s on rails and the 8 cylinder just pulls at all RPMs? Naturally inspired right?

Love the color combo. That’s what I would get just with the rag top which i know usually compromises handling. But if I’m gonna go two doors, I want it to be a fun open air car.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The MC handles very well with traditional coil suspension (no skyhook on MCs) but it's not the softest ride in the world, although better than I thought it would be. In fact ride quality is similar to my 15 SQ4 that had a similar coil sport suspension, which made it sit 10mm lower. And yep V8 no turbo, it's nice to not have any turbo lag! I've also read that the convertible doesn't handle as well too.

I hope I get to open her up this weekend since I just got this Tuesday. Have only been driving on city roads in low gears making a lot of noise, found a few underpasses to play with :) But haven't even hit 50 mph on her yet lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts