Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here! 2018 Ghibli SQ4 20" wheels

Does anyone know why the pilot sport A/S 3+ front tire (245/40/R20 XL) comes up on every site as not fitting our cars? The specs are either identical to the Pirelli all seasons (factory) or match the bridgestone RE980 (tire rack fit & posts on here of people who run them). Only difference I can see is a higher speed rating. I'll break down the specs below...

Pirelli P Zero All-Season
245/40/20 XL 99W Load range is 1,709lbs and 50psi, speed 168mph Diameter 27.9"

Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS
245/40/20 XL 99W Load range is 1,709lbs and 50psi, speed 168mph Diameter 27.7"

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
245/40/20 XL 99Y Load range is 1,709lbs and 50psi, speed 186mph Diameter 27.7"

Diameter isn't the same as the Pirelli but it matches the Bridgestone (fit)

Am I missing something here or is the A/S 3+ an option for us in Northeast?

·
Registered
83 Posts
intriguing, i'd like to know too, the a/s 3+ has higher speed rating even too so i am puzzled as well...

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another vote for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. It has a decent review online and a lot of my friends run it on their sedan and SUV.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the Pilot 4S high performance summers and very satisfied.
The Pilot A/S 3S+ did come as an option for me on Discount Tire / Discount Tire Direct as an example. Others have used these too.
Same here; I have the 4S and I'm really happy with the purchase and performance. I'm in Pacific NW so we see a lot of water, we're supposed to get snow in a couple of weeks, I'll test them out :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
23 Posts
I have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my car (20 inch option). They didn’t show up as an option on my initial search on Tire Rack, but you can get it to show up if you search by manufacturer.

They also show up as an option at Costco, but hey have been on back order for several months there.

I ultimately had them shipped from Tire Rack and installed by their new mobile install unit at my office.

I have had great experiences with the A/S 3+ on my Ghibli and prior cars (in addition to the 4S model).

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I have used all kind of tires in my previous cars and on the ones I have, actually, hundreds of tires since so many cars in so many years, from not so lately Michelin very good in one of my previous bmw M6 and were a disaster in my previous Jaguar, same for Goodyear very good in the Pheaton a disaster in the BMW Z4, Bridgestone on previous Audi S4 a disaster while good with Continental, Audi S6 very good with goodyear and disaster with other brands I believe was Pirelli what I tried very bad, on the Aston Brigstone Potenza S001 fantastic tires on that car, and the Jag XJ after trying Michelin brigstone goodyear, the ones I am satisfied is Pirelli, Porsche Pirelli only etc.
for the Maserati previous and now.. just Pirelli MGT tires nothing else (21")
What I mean by good tires it is not how they hold on the street as all do a magnificent job and we drive fast around here, and yes some wear out faster than others, but my biggest concerns are the ride, some are very noisy and it becomes louder when the tire is worn, some do vibration on the car I hate that, and some do a kind of a pitch while driving in a dynamic away on small roads, in any case, the tires noise it is what I hate most and we can easily do the wrong choice, and especially that our general average highway speed around here is 100miles/h
Honestly, I did 21600 miles with my original tires Pirelli they are dead, but till the end, very silent no vibrations nothing, I will put of course exactly the same, there is nothing to be disappointed I am speaking on my personal experiences, and of course, all change from cars models etc etc and I speak only about my summer tires
Sometimes I see tires well noted on the internet but many were tried in a ford focus or Audi A3 for example.. not the same car weight power wheel size,,.. so focus on that positive note I installed in some of my cars and got a big disappointment or surprised it is a bit gamble. Or you install what is predicted by the manufacture and generally, you are not disappointed .. but sometimes you find better it is true

1 - 7 of 7 Posts