Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

Please advise me...

12K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Deejayrichierich 
#1 · (Edited)
I ordered the Ghibli SQ4 with the sport package and 19 inch Proteo wheels. I had to get the 19's because in order to get other options, like the extended leather and dash board two-tone leather, the sport package was mandatory. That being said the only option in wheels was either the 19,20 or 21 inch choice. I really wanted 18's due to the smoother ride quality and the durability of the tires over low profile tires especially in my New Jersey pot holed roads.

Is is possible without any modifications, to replace the wheels with 18 inch wheels? Are the horror stories about blowouts and $1,000's spent on new wheels and tires each year just blown out of proportion? ( no pun intended ;) )

Do dealers swap out wheels at delivery? Or am I just overreacting to this issue?q

Thanks
Steve

#2 ·
You CAN get extended leather without the sport package, but you CAN'T get the sport package without extended leather.

That being said, the dealer won't swap out the wheels unless you purchase a whole new set of wheels.

It's too bad I didn't know that you wanted the 18s a week ago. We could have swapped our wheels. My dealer had found two cars for me on a boat on their way over. One with the exact options I wanted but it had 18s (I want the 19" Proteos). The other car has the 19s but a bunch of options I didn't want. I wound up going with the more expensive car with the 19s.

#3 ·
Spsesq: I've seen some dealers have swapped out wheels as mentioned on this forum.

I think the 19" wheels are a pretty nice choice and the right balance point of nice ride, handling and a little extra rubber between road and wheel. That said I have the 20" wheels because I wanted that little extra handling and paired with the sport suspension ... I'm quite satisfied with the ride and handling.

I do live in central PA, so do have exposure to potholes and recognize there are some risks which I mitigate by not driving the car everyday or in bad weather, (I have another that takes the abuse).

When I bought the car, the NJ detailer really pushed hard for the premiere tire/wheel warranty for 5 years with unlimited replacements for 20" but said not as critical for 19"; I originally bought but later cancelled in my 30 day period. Needing a warranty is a very polarizing response as I posted on this site and depending on where you live and past experiences ranged from "must have" versus "get your money back quickly".

I was also told if I wanted to buy 18" wheels for the Winter Sotto 3 tires I could do so with the car. Normally (rule of thumb) you would only want to go +/- 1 inch size change from original. I bought a second set of Urano like aftermarket 20" wheels and added the winter tires to use during the cold weather. The factory installed summer Pirelli P Zero tires are not intended for temperature less than 45F due to the compounds in the rubber becoming brittle.

I think you will be pleased with the 19"wheels and not have that much more risk. Interesting in that most seem to be trading up in size so you might find factory 18" wheels a little more available for sale if you choose to have a winter set or find a trader.

#5 ·
I ordered the Ghibli SQ4 with the sport package and 19 inch Proteo wheels. I had to get the 19's because in order to get other options, like the extended leather and dash board two-tone leather, the sport package was mandatory. That being said the only option in wheels was either the 19,20 or 21 inch choice. I really wanted 18's due to the smoother ride quality and the durability of the tires over low profile tires especially in my New Jersey pot holed roads.

Is is possible without any modifications, to replace the wheels with 18 inch wheels? Are the horror stories about blowouts and $1,000's spent on new wheels and tires each year just blown out of proportion? ( no pun intended ;) )

Do dealers swap out wheels at delivery? Or am I just overreacting to this issue?q

Thanks
Steve
i am telling you straight up, the proteo 19s are the way to go! you dont want the 18s, they just dont look right on the car, way too much rubber between the road and the wheel.

the 19s are not as low profile as you think. i have them myself and there is plenty of rubber there and they are not low profile like the 21s, not even close. just yesterday i brushed the tire up against one of those dividers in the road, i thought for sure i was going to get out and see my wheel scratch, but to my surprise it survived due to the amount of rubber between the wheel and road.

if you are worried about blowouts and tires, etc. i have a simple solution for you.. Home - Discount Tire Direct all their tires come w/ full warranty and they will replace them for any reason, no questions asked. i live in PA and this winter was brutal, my BMW managed to get bubbles in the sidewalls of 3 tires, all were replaced free!

stay w/ the 19 or 20. you will be so happy you did. your car will not only be classy but very sporty too. in my opinion the 18s take away the sportyness of the car. its like wearing sneakers with your tuxedo.

#7 ·
I have spoken to a number of people and seen the posts here too. I think what I am going to do is keep the 19's for spring summer and fall and switch out 18 in winter tires for December through March each year. I believe I could get better winter control, durability and traction with 18 inch winter tire. I'll have more fun and sporty handling with the 19's during good weather. I'll just be more attentive than usual around potholes and road cracks.
Steve

#8 ·
Hi Steve,
I recommend you do just that. That's exactly what I do here in Boston and it has worked very well for me for the past three years. I had bought the wheel/tire combo from Tire Rack and I make the wheel exchange myself (about an hour of my time).
Cheers,
Sam

#9 ·
Sam, do you have your own hydraulic jack? I've swapped my own wheels with previous cars, but using the "widow-maker" that comes with the vehicle. Thinking about buying a jack this year for swapping out the Ghibli's wheels in the winter.

Maybe we can have a Boston-area wheel swap get together before the snow hits!

#10 ·
I bought the 18" wheels for the pothole issue here in Indy....I had the dealer powdercoat them in black. Couldnt be happier and look awesome.

Also, I assume your dealer told you that Maserati pays for 1/2 the cost of winter tires if you buy them from the dealer (so cost is ~$4-500 to the consumer).

Attachments

#11 ·
You need to make sure you ask (and ask again). Even though I bought within the 50% off discount period, I didn't have them mount the winter tires on my car, (in spring), which seems to be a Maserati requirement (or excuse) for the 50% discount.

I used DTD and Tirerack for price comparison which dealer beat ... but afterwards saw on this forum others were paying $500 less than me for the 4 Pirelli Sotto 3 tires, (for 20" rims).

mbo222 - nice look on the wheels.

Reactions: mbo222
#13 ·
MBO - Those wheels are badass...they make the ghibli look downright mean.

Reactions: mbo222
#19 ·
"You need to make sure you ask (and ask again). Even though I bought within the 50% off discount period, I didn't have them mount the winter tires on my car, (in spring), which seems to be a Maserati requirement (or excuse) for the 50% discount."

Yes. My dealer said he must install them at time of purchase to get discount. Has to be completed before...mid fall-ish...per him.

M

#21 ·
svelte / tjsbeer ... I can empathize with you guys ... I now have 6 cars because I didn't trade in when I bought the Ghibli and reached a breaking point, (aka gridlock). I have made up my mind and will give up three cars.

Mustang to my son
Infinity to my daughter
Deville to my mother (she really wants it, she only puts 2K/year on her XKR, and hope she will drive this big car).

That will leave me with a car built in Italy, England and Texas ... Maserati, Jaguar, (for my wife) and Escalade.

mrpa1999 - I'll take a look at the hydraulic and stands ... thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: tjsbeer
#22 ·
Man, you guys with 4,5,6 cars - nice problem to have! I'm assuming you don't keep them all garaged. I've kept my stable to three: the Ghibli, my wife's CX-9 kid-hauler and my '85 380SL for summer weekends. Only have a two-car garage so I'm forced store the convertible elsewhere during our long New England winters.

#24 ·
Man, you guys with 4,5,6 cars - nice problem to have! I'm assuming you don't keep them all garaged.

All garaged.

I spent a weekend clearing out a spot for the Ghibli when we bought it since we didn't trade in a vehicle. It was some work figuring out where to move things, but it forced me into making hard decisions about throwing things away.

And that was something I needed to be forced into.

#23 ·
Three in the garage and three outside. The Ghibli bumped the Deville out into the cold cruel world.:(

What I won't miss is trying to drive all the cars every week to keep them mobile, (plus the extra insurance, state inspections and routine services).

What I will miss are the cars outside were used in rain and bad winter conditions ... kept the three inside nice and clean/warm.:)

#25 ·
I've two in the garage, one in storage and one in the driveway.
The Mustang is going to go once the Ghibli arrives next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.