Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
It looks a bit sketchy and if I really wanted it I would look into the company selling it, just to make sure that this is a product from a reputable brand, I suggest you do that.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I checked it out... its almost a scam sort of thing... really for a 80k car you can increase the hp by 35 and what not.. by spending 135 bucks.. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
for a buck eighty sounds like something to be careful of. Chip replacements usually cost 1500. This is different as it just plugs into the OBD port..........Get to other buyers of the Ghibli product......let us know what you find out!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I too have seen You Tube videos exposing these chips as scams.

But since people are looking into performance enhancing steroids for our cars, may I pose a couple real world questions...(Sarcasm included at no extra cost>:D).
1) Is 0-60 in 4.7 seconds too slow to get you on the parkway, turnpike or merge onto any highway in the USA?
2) Are you taking a stock 4,100+ pound Maserati Ghibli to your local track to drag race it against Tony Stewart, Dale Jr. or Michael Andretti?
3) Are you gutting the entire beautiful leather interior, reducing all unnecessary weight, adding racing tires, seats, and harnesses and need an additional 50 HP?
4) Is 4mpg a realistic and achievable goal?
5) Do you want your car impounded, you placed in a little cement cell and never get insurance again?

If you wanted a race car, we all should have saved up another $180,000 and just bought a Ferrari..I can already go 177 in this car, I have not done so but knowing that I could... well that's good enough for me...:D

Steve

·
Registered
863 Posts
Agreed with Steve... :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too have seen You Tube videos exposing these chips as scams.

But since people are looking into performance enhancing steroids for our cars, may I pose a couple real world questions...(Sarcasm included at no extra cost>:D).
1) Is 0-60 in 4.7 seconds too slow to get you on the parkway, turnpike or merge onto any highway in the USA?
2) Are you taking a stock 4,100+ pound Maserati Ghibli to your local track to drag race it against Tony Stewart, Dale Jr. or Michael Andretti?
3) Are you gutting the entire beautiful leather interior, reducing all unnecessary weight, adding racing tires, seats, and harnesses and need an additional 50 HP?
4) Is 4mpg a realistic and achievable goal?
5) Do you want your car impounded, you placed in a little cement cell and never get insurance again?

If you wanted a race car, we all should have saved up another $180,000 and just bought a Ferrari..I can already go 177 in this car, I have not done so but knowing that I could... well that's good enough for me...:D

Steve
I agreed with everything you said. BUT! What If there was another model above the S Q4, which has extra 35 HP, 30 ft-lb of torque, more responsive, better gas mileage, FOR ONLY $180 more! You wouldn't get that? I am sure 99.99% of the S Q4 model buyers will jump on that.

A good, well tested computer chip tune cost several hundred dollars, sometimes thousands. I, personally, would not spend that kind of money to gain 35 HP. $180, that's a different story. But this thing most likely is not real.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some of these work.. some of these cheap ones dont. It's always better to stay away from the strange generic eBay ones.

It is very easy to increase power on a Turbo car. These chips just raise the boost pressure. The problem is if they are detectable, because then you can have warranty issues. But if somebody makes a quality one that can leave no tracks..... they are great and add a fun boost in power to your car.

I'm sure these cars can easily be pushed harder then they come stock. I would guess they are powered down a little to keep a good spread between Ferrari and Maserati.

So when a good one comes out from a trusted source.. and you want more from your car.... go for it. It's a safe easy way to get a an easy 10-20% boost in power. Yes, a turbo of this power can most likely easily gain 50-100 hp from a good plug in/chip.

Let's be honest.. for the price and the name, this car isn't faster than much out there. You drive for the sound and driving experience. Trust me.. coming from the GT Sport. An upgrade for this car would be nice.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I wouldnt trust a $180 tune for a maserati. Currently fabspeed and formula dynamics are working on a tune. I believe Fabspeed will be a plug and play system so you could always take it out before taking your car to the dealer. But I would expect the price to be from $1,000-1,500 US dollars. For a 70-100hp gain which makes night and day difference. The Ghibli with 500hp is not a bad idea ;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Gus, i think that's the way to go from a reputed company... now about your Fabspeed working on it.. where did you got the details from...

and 500 hp on a maserati.. you are talking a completely game here..

I wouldnt trust a $180 tune for a maserati. Currently fabspeed and formula dynamics are working on a tune. I believe Fabspeed will be a plug and play system so you could always take it out before taking your car to the dealer. But I would expect the price to be from $1,000-1,500 US dollars. For a 70-100hp gain which makes night and day difference. The Ghibli with 500hp is not a bad idea ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Gus, i think that's the way to go from a reputed company... now about your Fabspeed working on it.. where did you got the details from...

and 500 hp on a maserati.. you are talking a completely game here..
Flamingwicky, I called fabspeed, formula dynamics and two other companies. Since the product is not finalized they can't say exact numbers but if i am not mistaken fabspeed and FD said to expect gains any where from 70-100hp. Also faster throttle response and better MPG (if you drive like a grandma :D). The plug and play from fabspeed got me really excited since its a trusted company. Most of the time plug and plays are not as good as actually reprograming the ECU but we shall see how fabspeed does it.

The Ghibli is already perfect but more power is always welcomed :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 years ago. I bought the BURGER piggyback tuning kit for my BMW 535i. It did increase the horse power 10 to 15%. It cost about $450. $1500 is a bit much. Some of us will probably never drive it that fast. So it may be useless.

·
Registered
524 Posts
2 years ago. I bought the BURGER piggyback tuning kit for my BMW 535i. It did increase the horse power 10 to 15%. It cost about $450. $1500 is a bit much. Some of us will probably never drive it that fast. So it may be useless.
BMW is known for having good aftermarket piggyback tunes Ex. JB4 and they are not as expensive as ECU tunes for other car brands. For my previous car, C63 i paid $1k for the tune. Now i respect everyones opinion and some people don't think a tune is worth it, as they are very expensive. I on the other hand think it makes the car more responsive and i loved the tune. Getting a tune doesn't mean you have take your car to the track or drive like a maniac on public road. I feel like having an extra 100hp can be beneficial when you want to pass someone on the highway with the faster throttle response and more power. Or when you turn on your blinkers and the drivers next to speed up so you can't go in front of them. Not that 410hp is not enough but with 500hp could be beneficial on an everyday situation. This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Agreed... if there is a reliable ec tune from a reliable manufacture which can really add and 100 hp more then why not. Just the sound of having 500 hp in the maserati is so sweet. Also better torque and improve mileage.

I think its a good thing to have but has to be from a reputable source.

Gus keep us update on your findings

BMW is known for having good aftermarket piggyback tunes Ex. JB4 and they are not as expensive as ECU tunes for other car brands. For my previous car, C63 i paid $1k for the tune. Now i respect everyones opinion and some people don't think a tune is worth it, as they are very expensive. I on the other hand think it makes the car more responsive and i loved the tune. Getting a tune doesn't mean you have take your car to the track or drive like a maniac on public road. I feel like having an extra 100hp can be beneficial when you want to pass someone on the highway with the faster throttle response and more power. Or when you turn on your blinkers and the drivers next to speed up so you can't go in front of them. Not that 410hp is not enough but with 500hp could be beneficial on an everyday situation. This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a drive by wire and the ECU enhancer in my quattroporte and is worked great. But my SQ4 is a different beast so I understand why both teams are taking their time before announce any kind of improvement tool. The previous maseratis had clutch and other areas of improvements and to be honest other than a small throttle lag I really cannot think of any other substantial improvement that I would like to get on my car. Hopefully they will come out with a great enhancer at the right price because if not I really doubt that people are going to spend a couple of thousand dollars for a minimal change. At least I would not but let's see what comes up in a couple of months.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
fabspeed makes exhausts, not tuner chips.. fabspeed buys their chips from evolution motorsports... jeff and formula dynamics make theirs.

non of these tunes will put out 100+hp.. could they, YES... will they, NO...

on average for a street car they will give you 25-35hp gain, nothing more.. they have to make keep things safe for the driver, other drivers, as well as keep the car / engine from being toasted..

a 25-35hp tune will run you close to $2000 for maserati.. to get anything more out of the car you will need to add sport cats, X-pipe, and sport mufflers, etc.. once you add those in you can most likely get the car up to the 70-80 hp range..

you will never see a tuner chip for the general public that gives you 100+ hp.. it will never happen..

·
Registered
524 Posts
fabspeed makes exhausts, not tuner chips.. fabspeed buys their chips from evolution motorsports... jeff and formula dynamics make theirs.

on average for a street car they will give you 25-35hp gain, nothing more.. they have to make keep things safe for the driver, other drivers, as well as keep the car / engine from being toasted..

a 25-35hp tune will run you close to $2000 for maserati.. to get anything more out of the car you will need to add sport cats, X-pipe, and sport mufflers, etc.. once you add those in you can most likely get the car up to the 70-80 hp range..

you will never see a tuner chip for the general public that gives you 100+ hp.. it will never happen..
Yes fabspeed don't make tunes BUT you buy it directly from them.

I really don't know where you get your information from maybe if you're talking about non turbo cars then yes USUALLY you get 25-35hp.

My C63 tuned gained 80hp with a tune (non-turbo car). Yes i Dyno to find out!!!>:D

997 Porsche Turbo gains around 100hp with a tune.

BMW 335 3.0TT gains around 70hp with a tune

I am just naming a few. Numbers may very slightly from manufacture to manufacture.

Now obviously if you add a full exhaust system, intercooler, etc you tend to gain more power. Specially some chips allows you to use different maps according to what you have done to your car.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Being a Porsche fanatic and owning many over the last several years, you are completely incorrect.....

Porsche 997 911 Turbo Performance Software and Tuning
GIAC|Software upgrades for Porsche ® 3.6 Turbo_® &submodel=911_Turbo_®_(_997.1_2007_-_2008_)&chassis=911_Turbo_®
Porsche 997 Turbo EVOMSit ECU Tune - Fabspeed Motorsport

Reactions: Gus
1 - 20 of 45 Posts