Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my car in the next year or so, debating between buying something practical like an semi-new Accord or something outrageous but older for similar price. 2014/2015 Ghibli fits the second category perfectly, I see a few near me around $25k with 50k miles on it. A couple of questions:

1. How much is maintenance, comparing to a typical car like an Accord or a Mustang for common services such as oil change, tire change, brakes, etc? Is it something like 1.5x? 3x? 10x? etc?

2. Does the base model come with basic bluetooth? I don't need fancy features, but being able to stream podcasts and music from my phone is important. I'd prefer to not buy a 3.5mm bluetooth receiver that I have to turn on each time I enter the car. My current car has that, it's annoying.

3. I see a lot of that some people dislike the center touchscreen (Chrysler Uconnect?), and replace it with a Tesla/Android screen. Does replacement screen, by default work well? Like is it going to continue controlling my AC or seat adjustments the way the factory screen does? Or does the replacement control music/nav only? If it controls everything, does it require a lot of configurations? I'm not very technical in terms of programming stuff. What's the most popular replacement screen that people buy?

4. Being a 2014 car, I assume it lacks a lot of newer tech that comes with newer cars such as a 2020 Ford Focus. I like tech, is it easy to spend a few thousand on tech to make it "up to date"? For example, how easy is it for me to install bird-eye-view cameras? Or lane change assist (blind spot warning)? Or Lane departure warning? Also, besides replacing speakers, what're your fav added-tech for this car?

5. How do you guys like the Ghibli? Every review I see online says "Don't spend $80k on the Ghibli", but is it smart to spend $25k on a 6 year old Ghibli with 50k miles on it?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok, I am going start by saying that after reading your questions, this is not the car for you.

In terms of maintenance and repairs, if you aren’t a DIY, they are very expensive compared to a Honda or Mustang.

I wouldn’t drive a high end car out of warranty. 2014 was the first year and had its share of issues. Repairing those is going to be expensive.

Regarding BT and technology. You say you just need basic BT but you also say you love tech. A 2014 is going to disappoint you. 2017+ is what you want. At least you can retrofit some of the things you want if the car doesn’t have them. They were options. Still no small task.

In terms of the Chrysler influence, sure there is some and most of them are for the good. UConnect just plain works well. 2014 doesn’t have it. But it the Ghibli at $80k in the same class as the competition from BMW, Audi, Benz? No friggin way. I love my Ghibli at $40k with three years on the warranty, but no way I would pay $80k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this. I do like tech, but I was referring to driving tech (cameras, lane change assists, etc), and don't really care much for fancy phone features like screen mirroring of my phone. A simple bluetooth is all I need for phone connection, so I can listen to phone streaming in the car.

In terms of maintenance repairs, how much more expensive is it comparing to a Toyota? You sound like it's at least 5x for the same fixes. I don't think I want to spend the money on a 2017. You mentioned 2014 is a bad year because it's the first year and it's buggy, how's the 2015 version? I also see some cheap 2015s for sale.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks for this. I do like tech, but I was referring to driving tech (cameras, lane change assists, etc), and don't really care much for fancy phone features like screen mirroring of my phone. A simple bluetooth is all I need for phone connection, so I can listen to phone streaming in the car.

In terms of maintenance repairs, how much more expensive is it comparing to a Toyota? You sound like it's at least 5x for the same fixes. I don't think I want to spend the money on a 2017. You mentioned 2014 is a bad year because it's the first year and it's buggy, how's the 2015 version? I also see some cheap 2015s for sale.
‘15 is better but still doesn’t have the tech or options you want to retrofit so I think it would be no small task. Something like lane change assist would take a major retrofit. You can get a 2017 with 50k miles for $33k. with cameras and lane change and with a Mas warranty. Maybe less right now with Coronoa. Trust me, the $7k is worth it. You’ll end up spending half that modding it to a 2017.

Pricing- $400 bucks for an oil change. $1000 for plugs that are required to be changed a more frequent intervals than a Honda. These are dealer prices. You could probably get an indie to change the oil for $300.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have any friends with BMW’s, Benz’s, etc, maintenance will be about the same or just slightly higher. As far as repairs are concerned, I have owned 4 Maseratis, including my Ghibli and, in my experience, they have been more trouble free than BMW’s and Benz’s that I’ve owned. Not to mention much more personality.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2014 Ghibli and love it. Is it more expensive than a Honda? Yes! For sure. No doubt. You could get specials or coupons for oil changes on the Honda for about $20. That will not happen with the Maserati. The oil and filter will cost you about $100 if you buy it yourself and do the change yourself. Of course it won't be as easy as a Honda either. It is very low to the ground and has a cover that needs to be removed to even access the drain plug. Or you could get a vacuum and suck it out the dip stick hole like I do, but still way more trouble than a Honda.

Everything will cost more. Some stuff a little more, some stuff a lot more. Like a previous poster said, the more you can do yourself, the better. I bought mine used with 30k miles on it a little over a year ago. I now have 56k miles. The only problem was a broken lower ac hose. $830. yes ouch. It has a special clamp which is what actually broke and so it had to be bought from the Dealership. An independent shop did the work which saved me tons of money. But still the hose was over $500 by itself.

If you would be ok with saving all the money you mentioned using for upgrades and using it for maintenance you will love it. The Honda would be much cheaper to drive, maintain, and repair if needed. But the Maserati will make you smile every time you drive it. Every. Time. You. Drive. It! Every time you step on the gas and hear that glorious exhaust you will know why it is worth spending 5 times as much on an oil change!

If you want something safe and economical that will blend in with life, get the Honda. Do not get the Maserati if you dont like attention. People will want to take pics of your car, give you a thumbs up at red lights, want to race you, and ask lots of questions.

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have any friends with BMW’s, Benz’s, etc, maintenance will be about the same or just slightly higher. As far as repairs are concerned, I have owned 4 Maseratis, including my Ghibli and, in my experience, they have been more trouble free than BMW’s and Benz’s that I’ve owned. Not to mention much more personality.
Thank you for this, really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
‘15 is better but still doesn’t have the tech or options you want to retrofit so I think it would be no small task. Something like lane change assist would take a major retrofit. You can get a 2017 with 50k miles for $33k. with cameras and lane change and with a Mas warranty. Maybe less right now with Coronoa. Trust me, the $7k is worth it. You’ll end up spending half that modding it to a 2017.

Pricing- $400 bucks for an oil change. $1000 for plugs that are required to be changed a more frequent intervals than a Honda. These are dealer prices. You could probably get an indie to change the oil for $300.
Thanks for the tip. The repair price you listed doesn't sound all that scary. I live near San Francisco, it's big enough of a metro area that I can find non-dealer mechanices that work on European cars.

I guess I'll have to decide whether I want to go without all the tech retrofit and save $7k, or spend $7k more and buy a 2017. Or maybe just wait a couple of years for the 2017 to get cheaper.

I hear the 2014 was the first year, so it breaks a lot. Is the 2015 a lot more reliable in terms of maintenance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2014 Ghibli and love it. Is it more expensive than a Honda? Yes! For sure. No doubt. You could get specials or coupons for oil changes on the Honda for about $20. That will not happen with the Maserati. The oil and filter will cost you about $100 if you buy it yourself and do the change yourself. Of course it won't be as easy as a Honda either. It is very low to the ground and has a cover that needs to be removed to even access the drain plug. Or you could get a vacuum and suck it out the dip stick hole like I do, but still way more trouble than a Honda.

Everything will cost more. Some stuff a little more, some stuff a lot more. Like a previous poster said, the more you can do yourself, the better. I bought mine used with 30k miles on it a little over a year ago. I now have 56k miles. The only problem was a broken lower ac hose. $830. yes ouch. It has a special clamp which is what actually broke and so it had to be bought from the Dealership. An independent shop did the work which saved me tons of money. But still the hose was over $500 by itself.

If you would be ok with saving all the money you mentioned using for upgrades and using it for maintenance you will love it. The Honda would be much cheaper to drive, maintain, and repair if needed. But the Maserati will make you smile every time you drive it. Every. Time. You. Drive. It! Every time you step on the gas and hear that glorious exhaust you will know why it is worth spending 5 times as much on an oil change!

If you want something safe and economical that will blend in with life, get the Honda. Do not get the Maserati if you dont like attention. People will want to take pics of your car, give you a thumbs up at red lights, want to race you, and ask lots of questions.

Just my 2 cents!
Thanks for this, I really appreciate the insight. It's good to hear that from 30k to 56k miles costed you very little on repairs. Do you expect this low cost trend to continue? I'm imagining buying what you currently have, something with 56k miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for this, I really appreciate the insight. It's good to hear that from 30k to 56k miles costed you very little on repairs. Do you expect this low cost trend to continue? I'm imagining buying what you currently have, something with 56k miles.

I would expect it to be as it has been. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. When it rolled over 50k miles we were driving back to Texas from Georgia. Some people have said that the early Ghiblis were hit or miss. Maybe check the Carfax on the car you are getting just to make sure. If I could go back and do it all over again I definitely would. No second thoughts at all at this point. It seems the cars that get driven more often seem to have less problems than the cars that are just garage queens and only come out on occasion. Between this forum and a few facebook groups, there are reportedly several with over 100k miles on them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
OP, certainly not trying to scare you away. I also concur, the smile this car will put on your face is unmatched. I’ve been driving BMWs for the last 25 years and still have one. They are finely engineered in just about every way possible, but they are a dime a dozen. A Maserati is unique.

Guess what I am saying is don’t get a project car. You can find a ‘17 slightly above your price range with driver assistant and with some warranty left. Then you can just drive the thing and smile.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
or so, debating between buying something practical like an semi-new Accord or something outrageous but older for similar price. 2014/2015 Ghibli fits the second category perfectly, I see a few near me around $25k with 50k miles on it. A couple of questions:
I would expect it to be as it has been. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. When it rolled over 50k miles we were driving back to Texas from Georgia. Some people have said that the early Ghiblis were hit or miss. Maybe check the Carfax on the car you are getting just to make sure. If I could go back and do it all over again I definitely would. No second thoughts at all at this point. It seems the cars that get driven more often seem to have less problems than the cars that are just garage queens and only come out on occasion. Between this forum and a few facebook groups, there are reportedly several with over 100k miles on them.
Is 100k fairly rare? When I buy a Toyota or Ford, I just assumed that it was going to go like 130 or 150. Is that not the case with Ghiblis?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP, certainly not trying to scare you away. I also concur, the smile this car will put on your face is unmatched. I’ve been driving BMWs for the last 25 years and still have one. They are finely engineered in just about every way possible, but they are a dime a dozen. A Maserati is unique.

Guess what I am saying is don’t get a project car. You can find a ‘17 slightly above your price range with driver assistant and with some warranty left. Then you can just drive the thing and smile.
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. You're right, I shouldn't buy an older model just to upgrade the tech. I have to decide wither I want to spend extras on a 2017, or just buy a 2015 and be okay with less tech. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
You're right, I shouldn't buy an older model just to upgrade the tech. I have to decide wither I want to spend extras on a 2017, or just buy a 2015 and be okay with less tech.
I think you need to decide on how safe you want to play it. Some of the older models from the launch are not as optimum or refined as the newer models. That said, there are some really nice early year models that were well maintained with low mileage ... if you can find one of those that would be something to consider.

As an example, I have a highly optioned MY14, built in Dec 2013, delivered March 2014 and have debated every few years on trading up to a newer model, but there is something about the older models that are more raw, less refined than the newer cars, so I've kept mine and will say it probably looks better than new, (and much louder/deeper exhaust than newer models). There are likely other original owners who have taken care of their cars and present a good value. Tech might not be there, but for me added an Amazon Echo Auto which connects all of my Alexa stuff to the car. Otherwise, I can't hear the sound over the exhaust anyway ... so all is good. Out of winter hibernation and now 6 years old in attached picture.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. You're right, I shouldn't buy an older model just to upgrade the tech. I have to decide wither I want to spend extras on a 2017, or just buy a 2015 and be okay with less tech. Thanks for the advice.
Actually, if the older model tech is sufficient to you, I would get a well maintained and well spec'd 2016. Much of the little mechanical issues, recalls, etc were ironed out with the 2016's (mine is a 2016 Zegna edition with the 21 inch factory wheels and the B&W sound system - I just love it).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Tech might not be there, but for me added an Amazon Echo Auto which connects all of my Alexa stuff to the car.

View attachment 20209
How does this work? Doesn’t Alexa need to be on WiFi? I’m big into smart home and Alexa. Take me to school.

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
How does this work? Doesn’t Alexa need to be on WiFi? I’m big into smart home and Alexa. Take me to school.
Echo Auto works off your cell phone Bluetooth and data. Connects to the Alexa app on your phone when you start car and plays through your car’s speakers via auxiliary input or your smartphone’s Bluetooth connection. It's powered via a USB connection, so I use the cigar lighter power port with adapter, not the standard USB port in the car.

I find Bluetooth works best for me in the "semi smart" cars ... those without out Android Auto or Apple Play.

I have two of these units. I was part of the test pilot so got to purchase for $25 each. It retails for $50, but can be found on deal occasionally for $25-35. You add the unit to your amazon Alexa account as you would an Echo dot or Show.

The unit is small and can be pressure mounted to the air vent fin or in my case just leave in cup holder by power port. Takes a minute or so to connect. Once it does you can ask Alexa like you do in the house. Is it 100% perfect in the Ghibli, no, but I'd say 90% for me. You can read about it on Amazon.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Echo Auto works off your cell phone Bluetooth and data. Connects to the Alexa app on your phone when you start car and plays through your car’s speakers via auxiliary input or your smartphone’s Bluetooth connection. It's powered via a USB connection, so I use the cigar lighter power port with adapter, not the standard USB port in the car.

I find Bluetooth works best for me in the "semi smart" cars ... those without out Android Auto or Apple Play.

I have two of these units. I was part of the test pilot so got to purchase for $25 each. It retails for $50, but can be found on deal occasionally for $25-35. You add the unit to your amazon Alexa account as you would an Echo dot or Show.

The unit is small and can be pressure mounted to the air vent fin or in my case just leave in cup holder by power port. Takes a minute or so to connect. Once it does you can ask Alexa like you do in the house. Is it 100% perfect in the Ghibli, no, but I'd say 90% for me. You can read about it on Amazon.
Thank you! I am a tech and gadget freak and I didn't even know there was an Echo Auto. Going to read up on it now. I just finished making my gas fireplace "smart" to go on and off with Alexa voice command. Did the garage door a few weeks ago. Pretty cool when the garage door automatically opens when I pull down the street based on the Geolocation of my phone.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts