Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you! I am a tech and gadget freak and I didn't even know there was an Echo Auto. Going to read up on it now. I just finished making my gas fireplace "smart" to go on and off with Alexa voice command. Did the garage door a few weeks ago. Pretty cool when the garage door automatically opens when I pull down the street based on the Geolocation of my phone.

Sorry to hijack the thread!
Pretty cool. I'm going to be asking you some questions when the weather improves in my area!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Pretty cool. I'm going to be asking you some questions when the weather improves in my area!
Love to help! I have definitely become obsessed with making my home a smart home. Swapped out every switch, dimmer, plug etc. Pool, hot tub, Christmas lights, video cams, thermostats, doorbell, Roomba, water alarm sensors etc. I thought I was out of things to make smart until I did some research on the fireplace, which required a relay and a smart plug.

I do wish Maserati had an app like all the other brands in it's class do that can start he car, unlock the doors and do some other things. My Infiniti app works with Alexa, not that I ever use it or the car, lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you have any friends with BMW’s, Benz’s, etc, maintenance will be about the same or just slightly higher. As far as repairs are concerned, I have owned 4 Maseratis, including my Ghibli and, in my experience, they have been more trouble free than BMW’s and Benz’s that I’ve owned. Not to mention much more personality.
disagree with the "same or just slightly higher" comment. I didn't pay $1k/yr to service my wife's previous Benz GLE. Nor did I pay that much annually to service my previous Audi S5. Maintenance costs on a Ghibil vs german are double assuming you are still within warranty and comparing apples to apples. Unless you are doing the work yourself. Then you might as well rip up your warranty.

As for out of warranty, no idea and don't plan to find out. But I would say the Ghibli is a bigger dice roll than German if acquiring out of warranty. I've had a couple used german cars in the past and they were all trouble free. My 2015 sq4 barely made it through it's 3 year lease before things started going wonky, the steering specifically for me which died at month 34 and again at month 35.

·
Registered
349 Posts
disagree with the "same or just slightly higher" comment. I didn't pay $1k/yr to service my wife's previous Benz GLE. Nor did I pay that much annually to service my previous Audi S5. Maintenance costs on a Ghibil vs german are double assuming you are still within warranty and comparing apples to apples. Unless you are doing the work yourself. Then you might as well rip up your warranty.

As for out of warranty, no idea and don't plan to find out. But I would say the Ghibli is a bigger dice roll than German if acquiring out of warranty. I've had a couple used german cars in the past and they were all trouble free. My 2015 sq4 barely made it through it's 3 year lease before things started going wonky, the steering specifically for me which died at month 34 and again at month 35.
Well said and I hope this shows up when people are asking the proverbial question "Are Maserati's expensive?". Spot on compared to German cars and normal maintenance. I never had to budget $2,000 a year for oil changes and plugs weren't required until 100k miles, not every 30k miles. I have had BMW after BMW over the last 20 years. All under warranty and when it ran out, time for another. Same approach for the Ghibli purchase. Don't buy one unless it's under warranty. Even if you are a DIYer or have a good indie, the parts are so hard to find and exclusive to a few online dealers, they are slightly hedged to dealer pricing. Just know what you are getting into. Get a CPO and make the dealer do everything possible on their dime before delivery. Then budget $500-$1000 a year for maintenance at the dealer. Personally, as I drove by a Ghibli in my 7 series and 5 series since 2014, I wanted one. So different and sexy compared to the German offerings. Eyes wide open and risk free, save for the oil changes for three years.

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
Well said and I hope this shows up when people are asking the proverbial question "Are Maserati's expensive?". Spot on compared to German cars and normal maintenance. I never had to budget $2,000 a year for oil changes and plugs weren't required until 100k miles, not every 30k miles. I have had BMW after BMW over the last 20 years. All under warranty and when it ran out, time for another. Same approach for the Ghibli purchase. Don't buy one unless it's under warranty. Even if you are a DIYer or have a good indie, the parts are so hard to find and exclusive to a few online dealers, they are slightly hedged to dealer pricing. Just know what you are getting into. Get a CPO and make the dealer do everything possible on their dime before delivery. Then budget $500-$1000 a year for maintenance at the dealer. Personally, as I drove by a Ghibli in my 7 series and 5 series since 2014, I wanted one. So different and sexy compared to the German offerings. Eyes wide open and risk free, save for the oil changes for three years.
Out of curiosity, I added up my costs from March 2014 - March 2020 ($6450), which included the original prepaid maintenance plan, ($2K), new Michelin PS4 tires, dealer recommended extra's, map updates and annual inspections. So I could see $1200-1500/year on average ... higher or lower depending on use / servicing dealer.

By comparison, my wife's 2016 BMW 5 series is averaging $250/year, (really $850-1000/year), if I estimate the prepaid maintenance plan included in new car price. Starting this year, it's on the extended maintenance plan for 3 additional years which figure brakes/rotors alone will repay that cost). No too far off the Maserati service costs.

My 2016 Inifiniti QX80 Limited with no plan is averaging $250-350/year at dealer using sponsored coupons. Mostly oil changes, filters, inspections and tire/wheel alignments ... for now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Out of curiosity, I added up my costs from March 2014 - March 2020 ($6450), which included the original prepaid maintenance plan, ($2K), new Michelin PS4 tires, dealer recommended extra's, map updates and annual inspections. So I could see $1200-1500/year on average ... higher or lower depending on use / servicing dealer.

By comparison, my wife's 2016 BMW 5 series is averaging $250/year, (really $850-1000/year), if I estimate the prepaid maintenance plan included in new car price. Starting this year, it's on the extended maintenance plan for 3 additional years which figure brakes/rotors alone will repay that cost). No too far off the Maserati service costs.

My 2016 Inifiniti QX80 Limited with no plan is averaging $250-350/year at dealer using sponsored coupons. Mostly oil changes, filters, inspections and tire/wheel alignments ... for now.
Funny, I have also have a Ghibli, a 5-series and a QX60. Also have a VW Tiguan I bought for my daughter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Replacing my car in the next year or so, debating between buying something practical like an semi-new Accord or something outrageous but older for similar price. 2014/2015 Ghibli fits the second category perfectly, I see a few near me around $25k with 50k miles on it. A couple of questions:

1. How much is maintenance, comparing to a typical car like an Accord or a Mustang for common services such as oil change, tire change, brakes, etc? Is it something like 1.5x? 3x? 10x? etc?

2. Does the base model come with basic bluetooth? I don't need fancy features, but being able to stream podcasts and music from my phone is important. I'd prefer to not buy a 3.5mm bluetooth receiver that I have to turn on each time I enter the car. My current car has that, it's annoying.

3. I see a lot of that some people dislike the center touchscreen (Chrysler Uconnect?), and replace it with a Tesla/Android screen. Does replacement screen, by default work well? Like is it going to continue controlling my AC or seat adjustments the way the factory screen does? Or does the replacement control music/nav only? If it controls everything, does it require a lot of configurations? I'm not very technical in terms of programming stuff. What's the most popular replacement screen that people buy?

4. Being a 2014 car, I assume it lacks a lot of newer tech that comes with newer cars such as a 2020 Ford Focus. I like tech, is it easy to spend a few thousand on tech to make it "up to date"? For example, how easy is it for me to install bird-eye-view cameras? Or lane change assist (blind spot warning)? Or Lane departure warning? Also, besides replacing speakers, what're your fav added-tech for this car?

5. How do you guys like the Ghibli? Every review I see online says "Don't spend $80k on the Ghibli", but is it smart to spend $25k on a 6 year old Ghibli with 50k miles on it?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help.
Each new model of the car is more advanced than the previous one. IT technologies are increasingly taking up space. But I can tell you that in my car I do not use all the options. I have a modern media system with navigator, radio, bluetooth and other functions. I haven't even studied everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
$1000 spark plug change? that's insane. Do it yourself. You tube has multiple videos on the subject. I'm no mechanic guy, but with a friend who works on his own vehicles we had it done in 40 min. About 15 of those minutes was going to auto zone for a thin-walled 13 mm socket that would fit in the chamber/shaft that the plugs are in. it was RIDICULOUSLY EASY. Cost me about $80 for the plugs on e-bay; $6,99 for the socket. I know, I hate working on cars myself, but believe me, if I can do it, literally ANYONE CAN.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2018 model below.

Being scared of all the horror stories I've heard of the 2014-2015s I would try to get a 2017/2018 model if you can. The dealership told me they fixed a lot of the issues with the newer models. I plan on keeping my car after the warranty expires so reliability mattered to me.

My friends are surprised how much my oil change costs ($400-$500 once a year). But anyone that complains about the high maintenance cost of a maserati shouldn't have one, it's similar to a BMW or Benz. The best way to save money because the dealerships are all Ferrari mechanics at $300 an hour is to find a luxury car shop that works on luxury cars, easy to find in major cities, in rural areas that would be a concern for me.

Even having the 2018 model I've had there have been a few small things already but under warranty I was able to get it fixed easily which obviously the owner before me didn't care to get fixed, so that's a good example of if the prior owner took care of the car or not.

Also look around for a good deal, I got my 2018 for $43,000 used with 14k miles. Never buy a maserati new you'll save more slightly used. The same car at the dealership was $55,000. You can find used maseratis for a good deal but try to find one with a little bit of a warranty to play it safe. If buying used make sure you pay for the vehicle inspection ($550!) from a dealership which will tell you everything wrong with the car and if the prior owner did anything that would void any part of the warranty. I found out I needed new brakes and rotors which was an immediate $3k price but I'm happy so far.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
12 Posts
Lots of good info and recommendations here - thanks, forum. I drove a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T to 236k miles and it was not much more expensive than my wife's American cars for basic maintenance, but I did replace the timing belt three times (scheduled) and rotors/pads twice and sold it with failed A/C (it was my winter car anyway) and a squealing P/S pump. My 2011 A4 2.0T is an oil change per year at 149k miles. I have a pair of 2005 Chrysler Crossfires (one SRT6) and they require only the annual oil change and have been rock solid. I did swap out oem for low-dust brake pads on all of them and they were "cheap". I am finding comparable low-dust pads for the Ghibli cost upwards of $600 just for the pads, or almost 3x the cost for my Audis and Crossfires. I'll let you know how the Ghibli does after 10 years of ownership. I'm in month 2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes I'm sad I replaced stock brakes and rotors for $3k and they still squeak a tiny bit and give a lot of brake dust.

Next time I plan on going with Formula Dynamics their ceramic brake pads area only $700 i believe but include all 4 brakes front & back. Wayy more affordable and others have said they haven't noticed any lower quality in performance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Our 16 had lca replaced under warranty but otherwise no issue and annual services were about $500-$600 each. Like other said, 17 had significant infotainment upgrade and carplay, 18 had more things sorted out and more up to date techs, but with a new grill that's less desirable to me. Get the latest model year you are willing to spend, but 16 and up seem very reliable.

oh and FD has performance pads that's excellent and dont have that annoying grab of the stock pads in stop n go traffic

·
Registered
418 Posts
I went to R1 concept for pads and rotors, I haven't put them on yet.
Some guys have used them here and seem to be satisfied, may be ask for their input.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts